Color matching in a pattern.

setsunaluvr

Question

So, I'm going to make a poncho thingy for a friend of mine. Her favorite color is orange, but the pattern calls for three colors that are carried through the pattern and I can't think of anything that matches.

I don't really want to use black if I can avoid it. I'm not really good at matching colors, so any help would be great.

6 answers to this question

What about gradients of orange, like peach, orange, rust?  Or, off-white, peach, orange?

Or, would the pattern look peculiar if just done in 1 color?

You could use a color wheel, there are schemes that 'go together' in color theory, but not necessarily when you are making an outer garment that you want to 'go with' more things.  Here is one link.

What is the name of the pattern?  If it is a free one on line, you could give us a link so we could see it; or even if in a book or magazine, tell us the name and source and we might be able to find a pic of it to help us suggest more options.

Your best bet is to get hold of a color wheel.  There are some free ones online.  I like the ones that look like paint samples that you find in fabric/craft stores.

If you don't want to do that, then make sure that the other 2 colors are in the same family as the orange that you pick (e.g. all pastel, all brights, all rich or all muted or whatever you use to describe tone/intensity.)

I like orange and yellow together.  You can pair them with white to mimic candy corn.  You can pair them with red to mimic a sunset.  You can pair them with brown to mimic fall or pick 2 other fall colors.  You can also go contrasting and pair it with blue and white or purple and white.  You can really go contrasting and pair it with green and purple to use all 3 secondary colors.  I also like orange and green together.  Look at some orange flowers to get a third color.  Nature is wonderful at pairing colors together.

When in doubt, go pick out an orange.  Pick 2 or 3 sets of 2 other colors.  Lay each combination out in the store.  Then ask anyone that is nearby what they think.  Strangers in the yarn department tend to be really good at picking colors for other people.  ;)

If I were making a Ruana in oranges I would use the following colors by Red Heart Super Saver:

Warm Brown, Carrot, Coral and Pumpkin. I'd also trim it in the Warm Brown so the orange wouldn't be too over bearing.

post-17452-0-78694000-1458753931.jpg

post-17452-0-50848200-1458753938.jpg

post-17452-0-20918900-1458753946.jpg

post-17452-0-54411700-1458753954.jpg

Archived