Single crochet row after popcorn stitch row help

AilsaT

Question

I'm doing Red Heart's Aran Hearts Throw for a wedding present, and am stumped as to why I am gaining and losing stitches. After each popcorn row in the center panel, you do a row of single crochet. I think my problem is not knowing exactly where to single crochet when I get to the back of the existing popcorns in the previous row. A very knowledgeable friend helped set me straight, but she too is stumped as to why I'm either gaining or losing - mostly losing - a stitch each row. I'm doing the turns correctly so not gaining there. Can anyone help? Thanks!!

8 answers to this question

I notice the note after row 69 about the optional ch after a popcorn and that it is not used as a stitch, so it should not be stitched into.  

on 70 and 71 did you count your stitches?  I assume you should have 182 since that is what you started with.  

what is happening in row 72?  

here is the pattern entry on ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aran-hearts-throw

there might be helpful comments or project notes

here is the designer's site http://www.bonniebay.com

i see that in the videos she has various stitches used in her designs, incl popcorn....maybe other sts from the pattern too....possibly helpful.   not sure what all info is on the site but may be worth a look.

I'm also trying to crochet The Aran Hearts Throw. Alot of these stitches are new to me, but so far every thing has gone OK up until rows 10 and 11. I have never done popcorn stitches before, but after having to tear it out once, I got row 10 done like it's supposed to be (I think LOL). Row 11 is where I'm having issues. I'm having trouble trying to figure out where to skip spaces and sc at. Also, do I count the stitch on top of the popcorn stitch from the chain 1? I'm really having trouble. Thank you in advance for all of your help!

~Nancy

Welcome to Crochetville!

This pattern is pretty complex, if you've never done some of the stitches before.  When you do a popcorn stitch, the last step is to join the top by a partial slip stitch.  This creates the > at the top of the popcorn for the top of the stitch.

In row 10, you did alternating sc and popcorn stitches with a chain 1 between each stitch.  In row 11, you're doing an sc in each of the ch-1 spaces and skipping the sc and popcorn stitches.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with crocheting into chain spaces.  To crochet into a chain space, insert your hook in the space under the ch-1, instead of into a stitch.

Here is row 10 and row 11 written out in steps ...

Row 10 (Right Side):Ch 1, sc in first st, *ch 1, skip next st, Popcorn in next st, ch 1, skip next st, sc in next st; repeat from * across to last st, sc in last st, turn.

1. Ch 1, sc in first st.  The ch 1 is your turning chain and doesn't count as a stitch.  SC in the first >.
  2. Ch 1, skip next st.  By doing a ch 1 and skipping the stitch under it, you're creating a ch-1 space.
  3. Popcorn in next st.
  4. Ch 1, skip next st.
  5. SC in next st
  6. Repeat steps 2-5 until there is one stitch left.
  7. SC in last st.
  8. Turn.

Counts: 1 sc stitch on each end (2 stitches) + 90 ch-1 spaces + 45 popcorn stitches + 45 sc stitches = 182 stitches.

Row 11: Ch 1, sc in first st, *ch 1, skip next st, sc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * across to last st, sc in last st, turn.

1. Ch 1, sc in first st.  The ch 1 is your turning chain and doesn't count as a stitch.  SC in the first >.
  2. Ch 1, skip next st.  Create a ch-1 space over the next sc stitch.
  3. SC in next ch-1 space.  Insert your hook in the space under the chain 1 to do the sc stitch.  It will be between an sc and popcorn.
  4. Ch 1, skip next st.  Create a ch-1 space over the next popcorn stitch.
  5. SC in next ch-1 space.  Insert your hook in the space under the chain 1 to do the sc stitch.  It will be between a popcorn and an sc.
  6. Repeat steps 2-5 until there is one stitch left.
  7. SC in last st.
  8. Turn.

Counts: 1 sc stitch on each end (2 stitches) + 90 ch-1 spaces + 90 sc stitches = 182 stitches.

I looked ahead and see that you're going to repeating this pattern so that every other row will have an sc over a popcorn that is 2 rows below and vice-versa.  The rows in between will be sc stitches.  This gives the look of scattered puffs.

I hope this helps!  Please let us know if it works out or if you're still confused.  Also, this afghan is really beautiful.  I'd love to see a pic posted when you get it finished.

It's such a pretty afghan that I'm making it, too. Thank you for asking about it!

I don't like to do popcorn stitches. Also, I don't like how they look. So, I plan to replace them with bobbles. For me, they're easier to do, look nicer and it's easier to see the > at the top.

To replace a 4 sc stitch popcorn with a bobbles, insert your hook and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through 1 loop on your hook.  Repeat 4 times, all in the same stitch. Yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on your hook. Insert a finger from the back to push the bauble. This shapes it into a nice ball.

ETA: I'm on row 10 now.  I'm finding the ease and look of the bobble to my liking.  There's a chain-1, skip stitch after every stitch in this row.  I highly recommend making the chain loose.  If you do tight chains, try pinching it as you make it.  The pinch forces it to be looser.

Archived