A holy flower petal

SherylD

Question

I saw a picture of a really pretty floral doily but can't find the pattern because it's from a crochet magazine that was published back in 2003. I thought I'd try and see if I could make something similar but first of all I have no idea what you would call the stitch that creates a flower petal with 3 holes in the middle of the petal. The petals look as if the outside edges are DC but there's what looks to be a single thread that attaches to each side of the petal making 3 holes in between.

I'm not sure if it's ok for me to add a link to the picture so maybe someone might understand what I'm trying to accomplish and can help me.

16 answers to this question

ravelry entry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lovely-in-lavender

i think the little cross pieces are dc, interesting constructon on the petals.  

if you click on the designer's name you may find another pattern w/ similar petals that is still in print.  

Hey, you mentioned in another spot here that you were looking for a 10" doily.  Check this one out--not the same, but has interesting stuff going on in the petals, and might be easier than Irish Crochet (not made in pieces)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spring-flower-doily

Another with flower center, about the right size

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/autumn-reflections-doily

The cord stays in there; it's a "stuffing" that you (usually) make SC stitches around (I mean, you always stitch around it, but usually in SC).  So, you end up with a chubby doughnut shape instead of a flat circle.  

You might be able to get away without the padding, and maybe use a HDC into an adjustable ring as a substitute, but it wouldn't look quite the same.

It sounds as if I didn't quite understand what the pattern was describing. In the YouTube video, you have to SC over cord. I'm assuming the cord stays as part of your work but then I could be wrong. I didn't follow through to the very end since my leaf wasn't coming out right. I don't know if you're supposed to pull the cord out once you're done although I don't think that would be possible based on what I was doing.

I bought a couple new crochet books the other day. One is from Annie's Crochet. It's called "The Go To Book for Irish Crochet Motifs." In it, there's a leaf pattern that looks pretty much like the flower. The leaf is made over  padded cords. I had no idea what that was so I tried looking for a YouTube video. I found one for making a similar leaf only I had a little trouble trying to follow the instructions because the person never talked. She just showed instructions and what each step was supposed to look like but my attempt didn't come out the same. The look though, was similar to the flower in the Lovely in Lavender doily. I might experiment some more with making an Irish leaf.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I had actually gone to the DRG site and tried to see if I could find that pattern but no luck. I will send them an email though like you suggested and see if I have any luck getting the pattern. I've been looking high and low for a similar pattern for those flowers but no luck. I did however look at a couple short videos posted by Annie at that DRG site where she explains how to do different crochet stitches. I'm wondering if you get the holy look by doing a stitch called a back cross stich. I was going to try doing that stitch to see what it looks like.

as far as i can see the interior of the petal is pretty much like the first row of a filet pattern.  start with a chain, next row is chains and dc into the initial chain.  after that you go around with solid dc or tr.  

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I had actually gone to the DRG site and tried to see if I could find that pattern but no luck. I will send them an email though like you suggested and see if I have any luck getting the pattern. I've been looking high and low for a similar pattern for those flowers but no luck. I did however look at a couple short videos posted by Annie at that DRG site where she explains how to do different crochet stitches. I'm wondering if you get the holy look by doing a stitch called a back cross stich. I was going to try doing that stitch to see what it looks like.

In trying to do more searching, I realized the link to the pattern was posted at this site so I just replied to an old post and hope someone can help me find the pattern without having to spend a lot of money. I am going to check out our local library and see if by chance they have magazines from 2003.

since the pattern is apparently owned by DRG, you could look on their patterns sites to see if they have made it available there.  https://www.e-patternscentral.com/list.html?cat_id=66  is the page for ones you can buy, some are books so you have to look at all the photos to see all the doilies in them.

https://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?cat_id=29  are all free.  You probably have to sign up on each site to see the patterns.

The Talking Crochet online newsletter is still active but apparently only has a few months' worth of previous material.  

If you don't find it anywhere else, then i would contact DRG, and ask if they can make the pattern available again.  This has happened recently when people requested an out of print pattern.  there is a customer service link on the page http://www.crochet-world.com/newsletters.php?mode=issue&issue_id=1111&department_id=7

also you might find a copy at a thrift store, library book sale (if they sell magazines, many do not because they are hard to store).  a lot of times people subscribed to magazines and kept all the copies, until they downsize and donate magazines, yarn, etc that they;ve had for years.  or estate sales too would be a place to look.

you could also post on ravelry that you are seeking it, there are "destash/ISO' groups, ISO = in search of.   

In trying to do more searching, I realized the link to the pattern was posted at this site so I just replied to an old post and hope someone can help me find the pattern without having to spend a lot of money. I am going to check out our local library and see if by chance they have magazines from 2003.

Yeah, the popular and hard-to-find issues can be a lot more expensive than the original price.  You might get lucky and find it at a library.  Also, send the person on ravelry a message.  She might not know that the link is broken.

The magazine is called "Annie's favorite Crochet no 121, Feb 2003. I did finally find it on Amazon but wasn't sure I wanted to spend almost $12 just to get that one pattern. I wish I could buy just the pattern some place. There was a link on Ravelry to a free download but the link doesn't work any more. This is where I had originally seen the pattern. The pattern itself is called Lovely in Lavender.

Oh and I tried ebay but didn't find it there.

There are a lot of places that sell old magazines.  If you want the actual pattern, try googling the name of the magazine with the publication month and year.  The most common places to buy old magazines are Amazon and Ebay, but there are sites dedicated to selling old craft magazines, too.

Archived