One piece amigurumi problems

francofranco

Question

Hello, really hoping someone is able to help me. I'm working on an amigurumi piece (shown in picture) where the head, body and legs are all one piece and I seem to be struggling with the legs. The pattern says that I need to stitch 9 then skip 9 in order to start the first leg. This is where I get lost. How do I continue with the leg? I skipped the 9 stitches and went straight to the end of the round using a slip stitch (again, don't know if that's right) but found that the running yarn was on the wrong side of the hook. Can someone enlighten me? Sorry if my explanation is rather confusing. Hope you can decipher my ramblings! Side note: my pattern says to start from the head down.

post-77235-0-49518700-1457313103_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

After you do 9 sc and sk 9 sc you can join with a sl st in the first sc you did and keep going around in the same direction. Then you will use the skipped sc's to do the other leg. There are some good tutorials on line too.

http://nerdigurumi.com/tutorials-and-help.html

Thank you for getting back to me, sarisue. Hmm yeah, I understand that part (I think). Just seems everytime I do it the working yarn is on the wrong side of the hook and when I try and carry on with the stitches they look messy. Sorry, again I'm probably not explaining it very well. Could you recommend any good videos that might make it more clear? Most of the videos I've come across are of the one piece being made from the feet up.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the working yarn is on the wrong side of the hook'.  You are making 9 stitches, skipping 9 (sort of folding the 9 skipped stitches away and off to the side from your fabric), and continuing with the first 9 around and around as if those skipped stitches were never there.  Nothing has changed but the number of stitches being worked, everything should be facing the same way except you are making a skinnier tube than before (body) for the first leg.  

I'm also thinking there was no reason to slip stitch into the first stitch - were you doing this on the body for every round?  I think it's more common to work in a spiral rather than chaining up each row--spiral would be smooth, where chaining up would create a line.

Granny Square said

>>>>>>>>>>I'm not sure what you mean by 'the working yarn is on the wrong side of the hook'.  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm also thinking there was no reason to slip stitch into the first stitch - were you doing this on the body for every round?  I think it's more common to work in a spiral rather than chaining up each row--spiral would be smooth, where chaining up would create a line.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yea I agree it's better to just keep going around marking the first st of every rnd to keep track of the beginning.

Have done a swatch will have picture tonight when my DD gets home form work.

Just wondering have you contacted the Etsy seller for help?

Makes sense!  (I like your matching stitch marker) :hook

You've done  the last round of the body (body opening facing down), and 1 round of the first leg (at the left); the circle at the right are the unworked stitches of the body that will become the base of the other leg later.  [That's what I was trying to describe earlier, when I said the skipped sts would be hanging to the side of the leg you're working on] 

Where the yarn left off, you are ready to keep working around and around the left leg.

This picture shows where I did the last rnd of the body and then the 9 sc for the one leg, and I folded it to start the next rnd of the leg leaving the 9 sc's unworked for the other leg. The hook is where I started the next rnd in the first sc.

post-10430-0-39562500-1457617504_thumb.jpg

Archived