how to change color in bobble stitch pattern

Leona1128

Question

I'm learning how to change color in a row of bobble stitch.  Ultimately, I want to do squares with a heart or other shapes using the bobble stitch in different colors than the background of the square.  Not sure if this makes sense!  I'm having trouble to not have the background color show on the bobble stitch.  Thank you :)

6 answers to this question

I having trouble picturing what you mean by the background color showing through.  If I were to do a heart with bobble stitches, I'd start with a graph that was sc height on one row and dc height on the next row.  I'd change colors just like I would for any graph.  The only difference would be making bobble stitches, instead of dc stitches, when in the heart. 

What do you mean by the background color showing through?

I'm going to guess the OP is thinking of doing it tapestry style, example white background with red bobbles, where you'd work over the red with plain white stitches and pull up the red out only when you want a bobble, then pull up the white and work over the red...repeat.

Honestly,it beats the alternative which is not cutting the white, but joining a new red, making a bobble, and snipping the red and continuing with the white...and weaving in a million ends later.  I have done tapestry in DC, but it works (covers) better in SC.  I think of the 'peek thrus' as having a woven look, and not a detraction.  If you wanted a bobble say every 4-5 stitches, you could let the red yarn 'ride' across the back, but that would be likely to snag since it sounds like you're working a blanket, and still show thru.

A thought, still thinking tapestry but with SC...if you make a few SC, then 1 TR, then SC, the TR 'sits down' and becomes a mini-bobble.  You would have to have an SC above and below the TR too, for it to work.  I'm not sure if this stitch has a name, I think of it as a 'pea' stitch because that's about the size it is in worsted yarn.  

OR, and this is something I've been wanting to try in knitting...bobbles in knitting are crazily inconvenient to make.  I found a crochet alternative which is to switch from knitting needle to hook and crochet a 3 or 4-DC popcorn, then back to needle and continue knitting.  It makes a nice raised ball, because it is forced to 'sit down' too with the shorter knit stitches on either side.  I don't know why this wouldn't work with SC as well, but this would still be most easily done tapestry style.  I think the popcorns work better here than a cluster/bobble, because you are pulling the top together more tightly (connecting only first and last stitch at the top, not all of them).

Sorry I kinda wandered there...

It occurred to me I totally missed another solution, which is to use yarn bobbins (little balls of yarn), or work from 2 ends of 1 skein.

You mentioned colored shapes, for some reason I was thinking of isolated color bobbles floating on a background.

Example if you had a solid red heart with a white background, you could work the bottom edge in white, then start working with separate bobbins: white for 1 side, red for the heart, white for the other side.  If you are working back and forth, after you get the bobbins started the 'right' color will be waiting for you in nearly the right place when you return, you may have to let the yarn ride across the back for a stitch or 2.  For a heart, there will be a small spot where you will need 4 bobbins: white side, red for top lobe, white for between-lobe area, red for other lobe, white for other side.

I guess it depends on your design, how many colors, how detailed. If using only 2 colors tapestry is nice because it doesn't require massive end weaving and looks the same front & back in the round, and can look the same front & back worked flat with a couple of tweaking options (1) crocheting backwards or (2) 'purling' on the back side.  It does make a thicker fabric, though.  Check out tapestrycrochet.com.

By the way to the OP, going off track again (a little) I don't have this book (I tried to find it online yesterday and finally found it) but I think it may use the 'pea' stitch, or if not the 'pea' would have a similar look.  That might be another option, to make squares with shapes using raised stitches but not bother with color changes.  

http://www.amazon.com/DRG-Publications-Charted-Picture-Afghans/dp/B0052ZU96S/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1353425192&sr=1-1&keywords=charted+picture+afghans

Or, back to your original stitch choice, an example 1-color shapes formed by puff stitches, but puff stitches or bobbles would work too.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/babys-abcs-afghan

Simply put, the bobble color would have to be carried in the back with the main color. Here's a pictorial Tute on how to do so. The tutorial is explained in UK terms (dk=sc, etc)

Since the OP hasn't been back or commented, maybe this will help someone else. ;) 

Archived