Show Me How You Organize Your Yarn Stash!

mrsnjonesjr

My hubby made me a shelf to hold my yarn. It's a biggin.

That's so awesome!  And I'm so jealous!

By the way--I just noticed that you joined us today!  Welcome to the "Ville! :welcome  :yes 

I got this awesome red cupboard via Facebook. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, and even though it was a bit more expensive than we wanted (because of transport, we don't have a car), I absolutely love it!

post-76831-0-02540600-1456927305_thumb.jpg

It's standing in my craft room, and to my surprise all my yarn fits in it, plus quite a few craft supplies! I have 2 bins, a bit on the side, and 3 drawers of yarn.

post-76831-0-03982100-1456927302_thumb.jpgpost-76831-0-82186300-1456927307_thumb.jpg

Awesome! And yes he's an awesome guy. He feeds my yarn craving with bribes of Venture Bros themed items lol. I only wish wool yarn wasn't so expensive! Red heart yarn has its uses, but I wish the US had a better sheep growing culture. It's there, but compared to other countries, the percentage is small.

Yes I did Deb. I did. :woo

But do you see that red cupboard ShanaEirin just got? Isn't THAT gorgeous? Think we can get it away from her? :)

I got this awesome red cupboard via Facebook. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, and even though it was a bit more expensive than we wanted (because of transport, we don't have a car), I absolutely love it!

attachicon.gif2015-12-29 14.26.32.jpg

It's standing in my craft room, and to my surprise all my yarn fits in it, plus quite a few craft supplies! I have 2 bins, a bit on the side, and 3 drawers of yarn.

attachicon.gif2015-12-29 11.57.17.jpgattachicon.gif2015-12-29 14.27.58.jpg

My mouth literally fell open at my desk! I love the way it organizes your yarn and the color!  :manyheart  :manyheart  :manyheart Worth the money for sure.  :yes

Awesome! And yes he's an awesome guy. He feeds my yarn craving with bribes of Venture Bros themed items lol. I only wish wool yarn wasn't so expensive! Red heart yarn has its uses, but I wish the US had a better sheep growing culture. It's there, but compared to other countries, the percentage is small.

:lol I had to google Venture Bros items! HAHAHA! That's awesome.  :)

Well, if we can't steal the red cupboard, maybe we can bribe you.

How about really good cookies? ... from my Grandma's recipes.

Or homemade potato chips? Really yummy.

I know ... I know ... I have YARN. What do you need? I've been saving this beautiful aqua plush to make a floor length bathrobe. Or I have numerous colors of beautiful, soft suede. I hit wonderful sales for it before most of it disappeared from the market.

Somehow I don't feel a yes. Hmmm. I'll keep thinking.

You know, red paint would perk things up around here! I have a big dresser probably the size of that cupboard, but I'd never paint it. It's golden oak.

When I was in my teens, we lived in an enormous house, and my mother discovered auctions. She filled the house with nice big golden oak pieces and large dark walnut pieces. At that time, these things sold for a song. People were getting rid of them in favor of Danish Modern. Now, my sisters and I still have a few of these gorgeous items.

I'll think about the red on something else.

I have to say, people have come up with great ideas for organizing their yarn. All the different kinds of shelving, the shoe organizer, the chest. I have 12' ceilings, so I have lots of upward space. I think it would be great to put hooks (to hang bags of yarn) up through the studs in the walls, but I doubt I can convince my landlord of this.

Oh, I forgot this! When I get low on yarns that go together, like Simply Soft, I use all the remainder to make totes for carrying or organizing. When my Simply Soft was down to a lot of 2 colors and small amounts of many other colors, I began making big totes to keep in the car. We have 1 grocery store locally that doesn't provide bags. You have to bring your own. I figured I'd make my own. I made the bottom the size of the bottom of a brown paper grocery bag, in sc with 2 strands. Coming up around the sides I changed to 1 strand, continued in sc, and made stripes all the way up. I added 2 wide handles. I made 2 of the bags, and do they ever hold a lot of groceries! Now I brought them in and I've filled them with my crochet projects. This is nice! I love using them for current yarn I'm using in a project. I guess I'll have to make a couple more for the car.

" I have 12' ceilings, so I have lots of upward space. I think it would be great to put hooks (to hang bags of yarn) up through the studs in the walls, but I doubt I can convince my landlord of this.

Have you tried command hooks? They really do hold well and dont leave a mark when you remove them.

No I haven't tried any kind of hooks.

I do have a set of shelves my estranged husband and I made ourselves many years ago. These are 4' wide and 6' high with the shelves all a foot apart. The wood is 1" thick and will hold up to an earthquake I think. At the time, we made them to fit a certain space and needed to hold a lot of heavy items. I have custody of them :D although right now all kinds of other stuff leaves not a squinch open for yarn. That can be remedied.

It's too bad we didn't have video's back then so you could see the 2 of us doing a project together. After taking 18 hours to put new carpet in the bathroom, 18 HOURS, my hubby said "You could have done this in half the time by yourself, right?" Actually, no hon, I could have done it in 2 hours by myself.

That's how it went with the shelves too, but I don't remember anymore how long they took to make. Well, they're sturdy and tall and they're mine!

Archived