Show Me How You Organize Your Yarn Stash!

mrsnjonesjr

No storage room, mine is in a plastic tote and I try not to have more yarn than the current projects i am working on

No storage room, mine is in a plastic tote and I try not to have more yarn than the current projects i am working on

That's a great way to cut down on clutter. Wish I was that disciplined. I see a certain color I like and I buy it to hopefully use later. 

Mine is also in a large plastic ..trunk, so to speak. It works quite well. I store the skeins vertically so I can see where the colors are and I have them organized by type or color family. I also was gifted s bunch of scraps which are now in small yarn balls (probably too tightly since I didn't know what I was doing then). The small balls would be unmanageable so I organized them by color family in large ziploc bags. I have a special bag for cotton yarn so I can keep it separate. All these baggies sit on top of the skeins in the trunk and the lid just barely closes right now because I just went shopping. ;)

My favorite part is the lid to the trunk comes completely off, instead of hinges and the lid has a small compartment where I store all the extra bits, hooks, T-pins, a few patterns, stitch counters, needles and such!

I absolutely love how I have it organized now. It takes up little room and is very manageable for me to go in and quickly get what I need with out much fuss. At the moment, I had to buy a bunch of pounder skeins for this huge project that are are sitting on top of the trunk but I made it clear to my DH that they would be used up soon! He hates clutter.

This bin is in our large storage closet.

I guess I am a yarn addict! I have claimed a small room in our 1925 house as my craft room (also where the TV is). It has a tiny closet too small to even have a left to right rod for hanging clothes. I put shelves in it and it's full--one shelf for baby yarn, one cotton, the other two misc. Then I have 3 clear plastic containers of cotton, 1 of baby, 1 of caron ss, 1 or is it 2 of other misc, plus some cardboard boxes. You get the picture and it's really not a pretty sight!!

The clear plastic boxes are nice since you can see what's in them. I also use those clear bags that sheets, blankets, and comforters come in to divide up different kinds of yarn.

Mine is also in a large plastic ..trunk, so to speak. It works quite well. I store the skeins vertically so I can see where the colors are and I have them organized by type or color family. I also was gifted s bunch of scraps which are now in small yarn balls (probably too tightly since I didn't know what I was doing then). The small balls would be unmanageable so I organized them by color family in large ziploc bags. I have a special bag for cotton yarn so I can keep it separate. All these baggies sit on top of the skeins in the trunk and the lid just barely closes right now because I just went shopping. ;)

My favorite part is the lid to the trunk comes completely off, instead of hinges and the lid has a small compartment where I store all the extra bits, hooks, T-pins, a few patterns, stitch counters, needles and such!

I absolutely love how I have it organized now. It takes up little room and is very manageable for me to go in and quickly get what I need with out much fuss. At the moment, I had to buy a bunch of pounder skeins for this huge project that are are sitting on top of the trunk but I made it clear to my DH that they would be used up soon! He hates clutter.

This bin is in our large storage closet.

Wow! That trunk sounds awesome. I like the fact that you can take the lid completely off and use it to store items too! That is too cool. What project are you working on now that is taking a bunch of pounder skeins? :)

I guess I am a yarn addict! I have claimed a small room in our 1925 house as my craft room (also where the TV is). It has a tiny closet too small to even have a left to right rod for hanging clothes. I put shelves in it and it's full--one shelf for baby yarn, one cotton, the other two misc. Then I have 3 clear plastic containers of cotton, 1 of baby, 1 of caron ss, 1 or is it 2 of other misc, plus some cardboard boxes. You get the picture and it's really not a pretty sight!!

The clear plastic boxes are nice since you can see what's in them. I also use those clear bags that sheets, blankets, and comforters come in to divide up different kinds of yarn.

I love yarn. I see pretty colors and I pick them up cause I know I will want to use them later.  :P

Your room sounds like heaven to me. I would love to have a room completely dedicated to crafts. Walking into that room would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I need to make a space specifically for crocheting. Right now I have some items in the family room and some items in my room and in the sun room. UGH! 

I also like everyone's suggestions on plastic bins and bags. I need to buy some asap. My big puppy decided to mess with my yarn and I had quite a few yarn casualties.

Okay I don't mean to brag but....I could put you girls to shame!  If I told you how many bins and boxes and bags of yarn I have!  They are in my spare bedroom, the garage, the shed and the attic.  I have SO much that hubby is building me my own shed so we can clean out the house and have all of my stuff in one place!  In my defense, the bins are organized by type of yarn and also by brands.  I don't consider myself a "hoarder" but more of a "collector"!  :lol 

Okay I don't mean to brag but....I could put you girls to shame!  If I told you how many bins and boxes and bags of yarn I have!  They are in my spare bedroom, the garage, the shed and the attic.  I have SO much that hubby is building me my own shed so we can clean out the house and have all of my stuff in one place!  In my defense, the bins are organized by type of yarn and also by brands.  I don't consider myself a "hoarder" but more of a "collector"!  :lol 

Holy cow! It's like your own personal yarn store. I would LOVE to have something like that, but unlike you I would probably not be as organized. By yarn and brands!?!???!!!  :cheer You are amazing. 

Wow! That trunk sounds awesome. I like the fact that you can take the lid completely off and use it to store items too! That is too cool. What project are you working on now that is taking a bunch of pounder skeins? :)

I'm working on a big granny square blanket. My biggest project ever. 208 squares. Halfway through the squares! The pounders do NOT fit in the trunk. I have a baby yarn one in there and that's all that will fit. I'll take a pic soon. This week is a bit crazy!

I'm working on a big granny square blanket. My biggest project ever. 208 squares. Halfway through the squares! The pounders do NOT fit in the trunk. I have a baby yarn one in there and that's all that will fit. I'll take a pic soon. This week is a bit crazy!

Can't wait to see a photo! Your blanket sounds amazing - I love granny squares, but I've still have a lot to learn. It's amazing you've completed over 100 squares already!  :clap

I am having such fun reading about how we get all this yarn organized!

I never really organized mine until a couple years ago.  I was starting to build up a large stash for the first time in my life, but it was all over the place - mostly in big plastic WalMart bags.  You know you can fit quite a few of them under the kitchen table!  I did have some yarn in bins, but just to keep it clean, not organized.  Some was in dresser drawers.  But most of it was in WalMart bags, big kitchen trash bags, etc.  I didn't want to get rid of any because I'd been steadily building my stash, mostly through sales.

It was my estranged husband who suggested we put all the yarn in bins and organize it, plus he wanted to use transparent bins.  I did like the idea of the bins, but the idea of transparent alarmed me at first.  I was imagining a riot of color that would be a nightmare to live with.  Like being in a carnival fun house!  Then he said "Honey, don't you want to see all the beautiful colors you have here?  You bought these because you like them." 

Well, he bought a bunch of bins and we got started. Honestly, I never thought I had as much as I did! After filling those (I think it was 10 bins) I went to buy more.  We just kept at it, and buying bins.  When we hit 50 bins, I was stunned!!!  How could I have that much luscious yarn!!!  To my surprise, he never hollered about this or questioned why or anything!  Actually, he was getting a bit of education on telling acrylic from cotton, and learned how to identify other types like chenille and suede. Now he knows worsted weight from sport, baby and bulky.

Now I have probably 60 bins, but I keep the number 56 in my mind. Cotton is separate. Vanna's Choice, Pound of Love, chenille, suede, and plush all have their own bins.  Baby yarn, sport weight, bulky and super bulky are all separate.  Foofy, lace, cording, etc. are together in 1 bin.

Not long ago, I changed my color order. Now I do:  white, off-white, ecru, beige, pink, mauve, maroon and cranberry, red, orange, yellow, light green to dark green, aqua to turquoise, light blue to dark blue, light purple to dark purple, medium brow to dark brown, gray, black.  I put all the variegated yarn in according to the major color in each one.  This works out pretty good, and I never have a long hunt for anything.

I have to say though, I have a very large front room I can use for all these bins.  If I didn't have that room I'd never be able to have all this yarn. In this respect, I am blessed.  And since hubby doesn't live here, there's not a lot he can say about how I use the space in my apartment.  Now if someone would just like to organize the entire room into a really great craft room, that would be super!  All my other crafts are not organized - yuk!  Well, maybe this next summer!

Oh my goodness! She has a room for her cotton yarn and another for her other yarn. What a dream come true!  :manyheart

She also has an amazingly supportive husband. Tampa Guy is one of the good ones.

I am having such fun reading about how we get all this yarn organized!

I never really organized mine until a couple years ago.  I was starting to build up a large stash for the first time in my life, but it was all over the place - mostly in big plastic WalMart bags.  You know you can fit quite a few of them under the kitchen table!  I did have some yarn in bins, but just to keep it clean, not organized.  Some was in dresser drawers.  But most of it was in WalMart bags, big kitchen trash bags, etc.  I didn't want to get rid of any because I'd been steadily building my stash, mostly through sales.

It was my estranged husband who suggested we put all the yarn in bins and organize it, plus he wanted to use transparent bins.  I did like the idea of the bins, but the idea of transparent alarmed me at first.  I was imagining a riot of color that would be a nightmare to live with.  Like being in a carnival fun house!  Then he said "Honey, don't you want to see all the beautiful colors you have here?  You bought these because you like them." 

Well, he bought a bunch of bins and we got started. Honestly, I never thought I had as much as I did! After filling those (I think it was 10 bins) I went to buy more.  We just kept at it, and buying bins.  When we hit 50 bins, I was stunned!!!  How could I have that much luscious yarn!!!  To my surprise, he never hollered about this or questioned why or anything!  Actually, he was getting a bit of education on telling acrylic from cotton, and learned how to identify other types like chenille and suede. Now he knows worsted weight from sport, baby and bulky.

Now I have probably 60 bins, but I keep the number 56 in my mind. Cotton is separate. Vanna's Choice, Pound of Love, chenille, suede, and plush all have their own bins.  Baby yarn, sport weight, bulky and super bulky are all separate.  Foofy, lace, cording, etc. are together in 1 bin.

Not long ago, I changed my color order. Now I do:  white, off-white, ecru, beige, pink, mauve, maroon and cranberry, red, orange, yellow, light green to dark green, aqua to turquoise, light blue to dark blue, light purple to dark purple, medium brow to dark brown, gray, black.  I put all the variegated yarn in according to the major color in each one.  This works out pretty good, and I never have a long hunt for anything.

I have to say though, I have a very large front room I can use for all these bins.  If I didn't have that room I'd never be able to have all this yarn. In this respect, I am blessed.  And since hubby doesn't live here, there's not a lot he can say about how I use the space in my apartment.  Now if someone would just like to organize the entire room into a really great craft room, that would be super!  All my other crafts are not organized - yuk!  Well, maybe this next summer!

Oh, wow! Over 50 bins! I can't even imagine. LOL. I love to hear how everyone has organized their yarn. It must feel so good to have all your colors organized. Your such an inspiration to me. You are blessed to be able to enjoy all of your yarn where you can see it. I bet this summer you will get to organize your other crafts.  :yes Can you imagine? All of your crafts organized - that would be awesome!

This is the old mailboxes from the preschool where I work.

None of the teachers wanted them for the classrooms so i asked for them.

SCORE!

Oh my goodness! That's a great idea and it looks great. So, glad you were able to get them. You're right what a SCORE!!!! :cheer  :cheer

She also has an amazingly supportive husband. Tampa Guy is one of the good ones.

That's wonderful! She must be so happy to have a husband supportive of her and her hobbies! My EX husband used to roll my yarn into balls for me. I will give him that!  :lol HA! 

Once I did get all the yarn in bins, the best part is "shopping" in my own stash. No running to a store or waiting for a yarn order to arrive.

What I am really tickled about doing though, is being able to provide yarn to others also. A few times I've had yarn that someone here on Crochetville could no longer find in stores. Sometimes I send yarn to people on Crochetville who I know don't have much yarn. When my Auntie ran out of her yellow in the middle of crocheting a ghan, I had the exact yarn she needed. When my sister was wishing she had the money to buy a few skeins of purple because she was in the mood to crochet purple, I was able to surprise her with a half dozen skeins, plus a few purple variegated. She was so surprised!!!

It's all been so fun! I never could do it if I hadn't gotten organized.

Once I did get all the yarn in bins, the best part is "shopping" in my own stash. No running to a store or waiting for a yarn order to arrive.

What I am really tickled about doing though, is being able to provide yarn to others also. A few times I've had yarn that someone here on Crochetville could no longer find in stores. Sometimes I send yarn to people on Crochetville who I know don't have much yarn. When my Auntie ran out of her yellow in the middle of crocheting a ghan, I had the exact yarn she needed. When my sister was wishing she had the money to buy a few skeins of purple because she was in the mood to crochet purple, I was able to surprise her with a half dozen skeins, plus a few purple variegated. She was so surprised!!!

That is so sweet to do be able to do that! :)

Awwww, I agree - that is so sweet! You can come to the yarn rescue for people in need. That is a great reason to be organized.  :yes  Helping others always feels so good! Especially when they're in a pickle and you put a smile on their face. You rock!  :)

Archived