St Counters

ReniC

I'm curious as to whether anyone uses a Stitch Counter on their cell phone. I saw a reference to one on the Lion Brand newsletter and looked into it. I see there are several offered on the Google Playstore, some free some for $$. What say you?

ROFL, Deb! I thought you used paws.  ha ha ha ha!

Reni, I looked at those, too.  I didn't find any advantage over using the plastic ones.  The plastic ones won't drain my battery and don't turn blank every few seconds.  I only use them for counting rows/rounds. 

For counting stitches, I use waste yarn as a running stitch for spirals and stitch markers for flats when it's complicated or really long.  Mostly I just count in my head (or out loud when I feel like talking to myself. LOL)

Are you talking about stitch counters, or row counters?  I love to use the knitting counters when I'm following a pattern that has lots of pattern changes in it--just to keep my place when and if I have to put my work down in the middle of the row!  For stitch counts, I (like redrosesdz) just use waste yarn to count.

Avon Lady, on 27 Feb 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

Are you talking about stitch counters, or row counters?  I love to use the knitting counters when I'm following a pattern that has lots of pattern changes in it--just to keep my place when and if I have to put my work down in the middle of the row!  For stitch counts, I (like redrosesdz) just use waste yarn to count.

Both stitch and row. Some apps have both,  some have one or the other.

One interesting review I read asked, (not verbatim) "Why use a phone when you have to put everything down, turn the cellphone on, open the app, swipe to turn on every time you count, add it in, not to mention it drains the charge on the phone". (Good points. I think I'll stick to my stitch markers and scraps of yarn ;) )

Thank you for answering.

I'm an old fogey.  Bobby pin markers, or pencil & paper hash marks for me.  I also never follow patterns off my tablet, I print them out; I'm not sure what uses more resources, but I'd think the 'once and done' paper/ink/print time would use less, and I can re-use the pattern indefinitely.

To keep my place in (a non-graphed) pattern, I either use a paper clip on the paper pattern and scoot it down each row, or one of those document 'flags' that have a clear part meant for writing on (on which I draw an arrow to point to an exact spot), and move it as I need to.  These are especially great for diagrammed patterns because you can see thru the clear part, and mark a single stitch if you want.  The flags are similar to these, except 1" wide and not rounded off - I cut them into 1/4" strips.

http://www.amazon.com/Post--2-Inch-Assorted-Primary-24-Tabs/dp/B004I7HHSO/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1456593212&sr=8-20&keywords=post-it+flag

Crochet is about the ONLY thing I can keep track of without a system of some sort, getting The Hellions to school, shopping, The Hellions activities, walking the Donna, when Crochet Widower is working, all need apps of some sort, not sure what that says about me though???

Archived