Twiddle Mitts

This is such a fantastic idea and such an great thing for crochetiers to do.  Totally reinforces my opinion that crochet begets kindness.  Darski, I just wish I could punch that "like" button a couple million times more!

I saw some that someone made for a local nursing home a few weeks ago. I have since learned that the hospital I work in has something similar available, twiddle vests. The lady who was making the muffs said that she called several nursing homes and all were eager to receive her finished products.

darski thanks for letting us know about this. It's a wonderful idea. I am always fiddling with things in my hands now so I can see why they would be comforting. My niece knows that when if I get bad off to give me yarn or at the least a strip of ribbon to play with and to give her mom her basket of egg shaped rocks. Now I am really interested in seeing the things people figure out to add to these.

Aside from being a fantastic idea and a very kindhearted thing to do, it'd be a great way to depleat an overstocked yarn stash.

One of the things that struck me; it reminded me of my middle son when he was 2 or so, used to grab his blanket with "pickers" (short tabs of yarn) that he would twiddle with while nodding off to sleep.  Maybe we gradually revert to our baby years as we grow older.  I know I've a habit picking up and rubbing a smooth rock and that's probably why I make my hooks fondleable.  

But back to the Twiddle worthy items, aside from the crocheted bobbles etc,  I'd vote for really smooth buttons and beads.  At least that's what I'll want on MY Twiddle mit. 

But back to the Twiddle worthy items, aside from the crocheted bobbles etc,  I'd vote for really smooth buttons and beads.  At least that's what I'll want on MY Twiddle mit. 

I find this very interesting because I am just the opposite.  I always go to texture so I figured our seasoned citizens would want that too.  I will likely do a bit of both. :rofl

This is brilliant.  Aside from using up yarn and ribbon scraps, how many of us who've been around a bit don't have a button box with odds and ends?  Aside from decoration, you could use plain buttons to make a movable joint, example for a little crocheted flower to twirl around.  

Is that one of those light up rings that you squish and it blinks?  Great idea.. as well as the beads, button and FF.  Good job!!  You're going to make someone happy with that.

Is that one of those light up rings that you squish and it blinks?  Great idea.. as well as the beads, button and FF.  Good job!!  You're going to make someone happy with that.

yes it is one of those rings.  I debated whether it was too 'sudden' but it takes some effort to make the lights start. :eek

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AWESOME!  I just found this post and the "twiddle mitts" sound as though they could really do some good.  :)

These things look so much softer than the sticks Karol gives me.  

heh

Twiddle Sticks

get it?

heheh

I did a very quick google search and found some commercially made muffs for dementia patients. They ranged in price from about $60 - $106!

Certainly would be a luxury item for most. How wonderful that knitters and crocheters can fill this need with a little leftover stash and lot of love.

I made a twiddle muff. I used beads, ribbons, and a crocheted ball and curls. I will take it to one of the alzheimers care centers and see if it is something they would use. If yes, i will make more.

The ribbons, beads and ball are detachable for washing.post-23494-0-58061100-1461151459_thumb.jpg

I made a twiddle muff. I used beads, ribbons, and a crocheted ball and curls. I will take it to one of the alzheimers care centers and see if it is something they would use. If yes, i will make more.

The ribbons, beads and ball are detachable for washing.attachicon.gif14611514290051863111352.jpg

the fact that the bits can be removed might be a problem. 

I really enjoyed making mine and wanted to make more but the staff didn't like the beads at all.  let me know what the staff says about yours please.

The commercial ones all have the parts removable for washing.

They also have ribbons, beads and either a closed bag of marbles or crinkle stuff as well as a ball on the inside.

I used the commercial ones as a guide.

Will let you know any feed back I get.

PLEASE USE CAUTION!! When attaching those little twiddlers, make positively SURE they won't come off!!! They could be a choking hazard!!!!

Archived