Help in understanding pattern

Lomondsmum

Question

Hi folks. I am crocheting my second animal, a polar bear from Edwards Menagerie. The pattern states Dc10, (dc2, dc2 tog) does this mean I am double crochet 12 then 2 together? I know that this question was asked before in the forum by some one else but I cannot find the answer. Thank you in advance.

5 answers to this question

Edward's Menagerie is a UK site, so I assume that it's using UK crochet terminology.  Are you used to UK terminology?

Here's the difference between UK/Australian and US Crochet Terms...

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/10/british-vs-american-crochet-terms/

As for your question, I'll answer using UK terms.  You dc10.  Then you'll do another dc2 and then dc2together.  Because the dc2, dc2tog are in parenthesis, what comes next pertains to those 3 stitches.  For example, it could tell you to repeat those 3 stitches or where those 3 stitches are supposed to be.

Thank you Sharon. This has been my first pattern I have just crocheted squares etc in the past so I am getting used to terminology. I wasn't aware that there was differences in country styles. I thought it was a universal language lol

Crochet terms were all over the place in the 1800s (plain stitch, long stitch, other odd things), then +/- 1900 sort of standardized on current UK terms for both UK and US, then we silly Yanks went and changed things somewhere between WW1 and +/- 1930.  

Here's a conversion chart (scroll down a bit)  Chain and slip stitch are the same, then beyond that the UK stitches are 'promoted' by one compared to US.  UK stitch naming system has no Single Crochet term, it starts with Double Crochet.  IMO the US terms make more sense counting logic wise (how can you have a double if there's no single?), but the UK system match the motions making the stitch better.

http://www.simplycrochetmag.co.uk/2013/07/04/uk-and-us-crochet-conversion-chart/

Re; your pattern, I agree with Redrosesdz, I'll bet the instructions a few words beyond what you gave us will shed some light. 

Thank you Granny Square. After a few attempts I have got there lol. Head of Polar Bear done, tomorrow the body. Am I allowed to post photos of finished article. It will be the most odd shaped polar bear right enough

Glad you got past that point!  And please do share pics, there's a whole section of this forum for sharing them (Show and Tell section).

To share pics, go to the 'more reply options', then at the bottom of the new window you will see a spot to upload a picture from your computer.

Archived