Need help with pattern: "Canyon Sunrise" One Skein Adjustable Cowl

myemerald

Question

Hello!

The pattern is called "
Canyon Sunrise Cowl" Designed by Claire Martin and can be found on http://horizontaldesigns.blogspot.com/2013/10/free-crochet-pattern-ocean-sunrise-one.html#more.  I hope this the right way to post a pattern reference, her blog has this at the bottom, "You may link to it or re-blog it in it's entirety", so hopefully it's ok.

Rounds 1 and 2 have 75 stitches, then round 3 ends up with only 40.  Some words seem to be missing from the end of the sentence for round 3.  What do you think should be after "working in the  (40)"?  Working in the...?

-Round 3: Ch 2 - 2 dc - complete mini-popcorn stitch, ch 1, then mini-popcorn st around, always with a ch 1 in between each, working in the  (40)

Also, round 4 doesn't say how many stitches i should end up with.  Anyone know?

This is such a cute cowl pattern, I hope someone has made it, or can interpret for me.  Thank you!

3 answers to this question

I'd ask the designer what she meant.  It's difficult to just guess, since part of the instructions are missing. 

If I had to take a guess, based on looking at the mini pics under round 3, I'd guess that the popcorn stitches are skipping 2 tr and only adding 1 chain.  That would be a decrease of 24 stitches, which gets you to 51, not 40.  (Math: 75 - 3 (ch-3 & 2 skipped tr) = 72.  (72 / 3) = 24 pc + 24 ch.   ch-3 + 24 pc + 24 ch = 49 stitches.)  So, my guess would be wrong.

I'd ask the designer what she meant.  It's difficult to just guess, since part of the instructions are missing. 

If I had to take a guess, based on looking at the mini pics under round 3, I'd guess that the popcorn stitches are skipping 2 tr and only adding 1 chain.  That would be a decrease of 24 stitches, which gets you to 51, not 40.  (Math: 75 - 3 (ch-3 & 2 skipped tr) = 72.  (72 / 3) = 24 pc + 24 ch.   ch-3 + 24 pc + 24 ch = 49 stitches.)  So, my guess would be wrong.

I have sent her messages, hoping to hear from her soon.  Thought I'd post here too, just in case anyone has made this cowl.  Thank you for your guess!  It's kind of what I was thinking, but not correct, at least I don't think so!

i think the 40 is only counting part of the stitches.  like, you now have 40 "something".  like 40 stitches, counting the dc and popcorns as stitches and not counting the chain spaces.  

note that you had 75 sts but by round 5 the count is up to 85, so 10 sts have been added somewhere.  

it is not an intricate cable or lace pattern where a stitch or 2 makes a huge difference in the look, so I wouldn't worry too much about exact stitch count.  

Archived