Hello, I'm River!

River.of.Asgard

I'm so glad I found this little community here online. I've been crocheting for about a year now, and most of my patterns have been improvised as I've worked on them. I'm proud of what I've learned and done so far, but since I'm still learning, improvising means I've scrapped more than a few projects after realizing that I could have maybe done something a little differently. So I found myself thinking about how nice it would be if I knew of a place in the Seattle area where I could bring my projects to ask for advice from more experienced crocheters, when I realized--the internet has EVERYTHING. Even crochet forums! So I'm very happy to have found Crochetville, and I'm looking forward to getting advice from many other people, and also to not wasting so much yarn, lol!

A little about me otherwise: as of February 2016, I am 27 years old, and I've always enjoyed creative endeavors. When I was younger, I drew a lot, but as I've gotten older, I've found myself preferring art which has a more practical application than merely hanging on a wall, looking pretty. (Though I have thought about making wall hangings/tapestries on occasion.... it gets cold up here!) I love the satisfaction that comes from holding a completed project in my hands, and I've even started making things for my friends and family. I love animals; my cat is my son, and I look forward to being able to take in more fur-children in the future. I've been more of a cat person my whole life, but I've been wanting a dog lately. I escaped from Southern California about two years ago and have no desire to go back, except to visit. (I miss roller coasters. Not many of those up in Seattle.) I'm also a giant nerd. I went through my otaku (anime fan) phase in high school, grew up on Star Trek: The Next Generation, can quote almost all of Firefly, and know far more about Marvel and DC comics than should really be possible. I love Star Wars, aside from the prequels, play Magic: the Gathering.... really, I'm a big ol' geek, and I'm proud of it. I'm not much of a gamer, though, video nor tabletop, though almost all of my friends are, so I know the lingo, and even have a dice collection (I can't help it....they're so pretty). I also love reading, and it's my one problem with crocheting, is that I can't read a book and work on a project at the same time. I might start trying audio books soon to remedy that.

Looking forward to getting to know you all! And I can't wait to see how my work improves as I pick your brains for advice! ^_^

Edited by River.of.Asgard

Hi! Welcome! Fellow 25 year old nerd here, although I'm more of a nerd in the traditional sense, even though I am also a huge fan of Star Wars.

You made me laugh about your comment of not being able to crochet and read at the same time! I am annoyed at that too, because I wanna make reading college textbooks less boring... I like reading too much to want to combine it with crochet if it is for fun though, I like immersing myself deeply.

Anyway, welcome, hope you feel yourself at home!

Hi :hi and Welcome :welcome    to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

I am still trying to figure out how to read and walk on the treadmill at the same time.  Seems like the book keeps hopping around.

• Like 1

Hi River!  I saw your username and thought you sounded like a fellow Firefly fan :).

I've just started listening to audio books while crocheting and am enjoying the combo, so I recommend you give it a try.

Welcome.

• 4 years later...
On 2/4/2016 at 5:48 AM, River.of.Asgard said:

I'm so glad I found this little community here online. I've been crocheting for about a year now, and most of my patterns have been improvised as I've worked on them. I'm proud of what I've learned and done so far, but since I'm still learning, improvising means I've scrapped more than a few projects after realizing that I could have maybe done something a little differently. So I found myself thinking about how nice it would be if I knew of a place in the Seattle area where I could bring my projects to ask for advice from more experienced crocheters, when I realized--the internet has EVERYTHING. Even crochet forums! So I'm very happy to have found Crochetville, and I'm looking forward to getting advice from many other people, and also to not wasting so much yarn, lol!

A little about me otherwise: as of February 2016, I am 27 years old, and I've always enjoyed creative endeavors. When I was younger, I drew a lot, but as I've gotten older, I've found myself preferring art which has a more practical application than merely hanging on a wall, looking pretty. (Though I have thought about making wall hangings/tapestries on occasion.... it gets cold up here!) I love the satisfaction that comes from holding a completed project in my hands, and I've even started making things for my friends and family. I love animals; my cat is my son, and I look forward to being able to take in more fur-children in the future. I've been more of a cat person my whole life, but I've been wanting a dog lately. I escaped from Southern California about two years ago and have no desire to go back, except to visit. (I miss roller coasters. Not many of those up in Seattle.) I'm also a giant nerd. I went through my otaku (anime fan) phase in high school, grew up on Star Trek: The Next Generation, can quote almost all of Firefly, and know far more about Marvel and DC comics than should really be possible. I love Star Wars, aside from the prequels, play Magic: the Gathering.... really, I'm a big ol' geek, and I'm proud of it. I'm not much of a gamer, though, video nor tabletop, though almost all of my friends are, so I know the lingo, and even have a dice collection (I can't help it....they're so pretty). I also love reading, and it's my one problem with crocheting, is that I can't read a book and work on a project at the same time. I might start trying audio books soon to remedy that.

Looking forward to getting to know you all! And I can't wait to see how my work improves as I pick your brains for advice! ^_^

Hi River, 

it’s lovely to have you here, it’s always nice to find that others like myself found crochetville through looking for either patterns or advice, it truly is an amazing community of like minded people here on the Ville.  I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you some more,