Comfort/Prayer Shawl

Darsa

Question

Hello!

I have a coworker whose granddaughter (~6YO) was just diagnosed with leukemia.  I'd like to make a comfort shawl for her daughter, and I was wondering if anyone could make suggestions as to a nice one that's fairly quick to work up?  I've looked at Ravelry, but there are just SO MANY that I was hoping for some input from someone whose actually made one.  

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

Any shawl pattern is acceptable. The prayer part comes from the intentions and prayer while it is created.

The prayer shawk ministry has a website with a simple pattern of repeating row pattern

Single crochet row

3 rows double crochet

Single crochet row .....

It starts with a chain of 63 (? If i remember correctly) but you can adjust this to make it wider or narrower for a child.

ratdog responded with the best answer- Any shawl will make a Prayer Shawl.

For a pattern that would be quick, any will do just that if the pattern is open/ lacy.  I made this shawl in 4 days (minus the tassel) and it's still worn frequently by the recipient.  Red Heart has about 5 pages of shawls. Maybe there's one there you'd like.

Another shawl pattern I made from Lion Brand works up super fast with their Homespun and N hook. I made it in the color Seafoam and was it ever pretty!

ETA: I almost forgot to mention, if you'd prefer something just a bit smaller, the South Bay Shawl is very pretty and easy to make. It can be worn as a shawl or a neck scarf, depending on the yarn made from. I included the link on Ravelry for it because it has so many photos to view.

What a sweet thing you're doing!  

I just ran across this pattern and it made me think of this thread - the shawl looks like something a little girl would like, or at least would fit in with Valentine's day.  It looks like it would be quick to work up with all the chains, and you could use bigger yarn than the #3 thread it calls for; it's worked from the bottom so you could just stop when you think it's the right size (should be a bit wider than she is tall).

http://www.girliescrochet.com/sweet-heart-shawl.html

Archived