Sitting or standing?

Charis

I was thinking lately that I have been sitting a lot lately, because I'm putting in more hours on a project than usual. This isn't good as we all know.

I was wondering, In what posture do you crochet? Do you sit bundled on the couch in a blanket like me? Do you stand? I've also been considering hopping on a treadmill or stationary bike! If people can read on those things, surely I can make some simple granny squares on them.

Thoughts?

I like to sit in my recliner. Love that chair- Big, squishy and comfy. :D  However, I do get up and move around about every 30 minutes or so because of poor circulation.

I've crocheted on the treadmill before but didn't enjoy it that much. I'd rather do one or the other- Who am I kidding- I'd rather crochet! LOL

Don't forget, even if you break up exercise into 10-15 minute segments, it's still does your body and soul good.

I've never tried standing up and crocheting.  I have 3 main places to crochet ... in front of the TV, at yarn groups and any time I'm waiting for more than 5 minutes.  Usually my breaks are once an hour, but I'm working on something very tedious (almost done) and am taking breaks every 30 minutes.

I prefer sitting in my chair in the living room.  Standing doesn't work for me--I'm always dragging yarn around with me!  I always take a project along when we are in the car, so that I don't have to go longer than 10 minutes without crocheting :P !  And definitely when I have any kind of appointment where I have to wait!  Even when my hubby and I go to Menards--after I walk around and look at the things I want to see, I sit down in the patio furniture area and pull out my crochet!  The sales clerks there are used to me sitting there crocheting and often come up to see what I'm currently working on! :D 

I've got our library app on my phone now so depending where I'm going either I travel with a book or a crochet project.  It all depends on what I'm working on at the time.  Some projects are easier to travel with than others.

At home love my couch and I have a chair in another room when we have visitors that I'll use to visit and crochet.  People have gotten used to me hauling a doll out to measure an outfit on while visiting.

I am not a fan of standing, exercising and crocheting.  Having the option to add audio books from the library to my phone has made that a better option.  I find myself listening while doing chores, etc. around the house.

Yeah, I think I just need to remember to get up and take breaks. I'm more of a power through kind of person. "Just one more square/round/row." I may have to just tell myself to get up in between episodes of Downton. :)

I tried standing the other day and that worked well! Although it helps that I have a pub height table, I can rest my arms and yarn on it without difficulty. I was just thinking s out how popular those standing desks are getting and thought it couldn't hurt! :)

• 4 weeks later...

One reason I started crocheting was so I wouldn't feel quite so guilty sitting around in front of the TV.  Now,  I can't hardly sit and not want to have something in my hands, and I also enjoy listening to audio books while I crochet. I don't think I could crochet and exercise unless it was a really slow walk.:)

I usually sit while crocheting. Most of the time I like a relatively hard chair because it's easier on my back. I do sit on a cushion. I like a chair with arms, or sit next to a table in order to put at least 1 elbow up on it. Arms weigh a substantial amount, and if you don't support them for the hours we put into crochet, oh how much that old neck, shoulders, and/or upper back will hurt later. Because of this, my absolute favorite is a rocking chair! Our grandmothers knew what they were doing.

I have a rocking chair here. My best girfriend now has 2 of them (I crochet and she tats). My sister that crochets keeps 2 huge desk chairs (with arms) that are that giant man size. We sit on blankets in them, get cozied up and crochet for hours. I love these chairs because they are big enough to sit cross legged in and still put a crochet bag up in the chair.

I've tried standing while crocheting, but it didn't work well for me. Normally the weight of the piece I'm crocheting is on my lap. When standing, this was dangling from my hand and the weight of it was throwing me off. I couldn't keep my sts consistent, and I kept dropping the yarn. I suppose if I did it often enough I could get it figured out, but I think a pub height table sounds like a good idea.

I love these stories of your chairs! That's awesome! I used to crochet in a rocking chair at my parents' place and it was perfect! You can get a good rhythm going in time with the rocking, especially if you are just doing endless dc's.

Standing does get to be a problem when working on larger projects. I think it would be too much of a bother with a blanket but I'm just doing granny squares so I have been trying to stand at my pub high table more often.

• 6 months later...

I used to sit in front of the t v, but for the last good many years, I stand to knit, crochet and sew.  I have a low hanging light over my waist high dresser, and this makes for good vision.  But, for the last year, my back has begun to give problems, so i can't stay with it as long as before. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I can't stand or exercise while I crochet. I have to sit because I love the feel of the yarn all over me, & my cat likes to be near me when I'm crocheting. He doesn't try to play with the yarn while I'm using it.

I do need to remember, though, to get up & take breaks more often, although that's a lot easier when I don't have a cat curled up on my lap. He is not to be disturbed at such times. haha ☺

I'm not coordinated enough to crochet while walking or standing.  I have a papasan chair I sort of lounge in or a swivel rocker that I do most of my crocheting in. 

I had to look up Papasan chairs.  I did not know what they are.  I remember seeing a couple of them in the OB-GYN Dr.s office.  Try and get a pregnant woman out of one of those.

I sit in my corner that has all my stuff around me and crochet.  I can not crochet while I am walking or riding in a car.

• 2 months later...

I do both. I love  to sit on the couch with my coffee, and I will do that if I'm crocheting in the morning. If it's over 2 hours though I move to my dresser. I can stand for hours and really don't mind it at all.  I usually do that in the evenings, unless I've spent a lot of time on my feet all day then I'll sit. 

My husband has suggested I get a drafting table to stand at because I don't have  much room on my dresser. I may end up doing that. 

If I'm making a large afghan then I definitely stand at the kitchen counter. I have a hard time sitting if I have something huge to work on. It's much easier for me to lay it out. My counter is kind of low though so it's not really comfortable, but to me it's better than sitting.  I've recently started making all my afghans granny square style (usually very large squares), just so I can work on them without the cumbersome blanket attached!

• 3 months later...

Archived