Tunic Pattern Problems

cbusyarnian

Question

Hello all!

I've been working on a tunic for several weeks now but keep running into difficulties with the pattern. The pattern has a side pattern motif made of a crochet round, outlined by yarn strips using a hairpin lace loom. There are some additional rows of crochet, and then a hairpin lace band. My first issue has been with the first set of strips. This is my first time using a hairpin lace loom, so perhaps I should have made these loops smaller (I made them four inches on an adjustable loom). Also, the pattern calls for making 136 loops for a size 6. In trying to adjust the sizing for myself, I made 182 in order to make the motif large enough for a size 14-16. However, now that I'm ready to join these two pieces together, I realize that there are about double the number of chain spaces on the hairpin lace band as there are on the circle piece. I'm not sure how to go about joining without making the band pucker. Should I redo the entire crochet circle with more stitches throughout? If so, how should I adjust this from an initial chain 6 to start out? 

Any help is very appreciated! I don't want to scrap this whole project. :(

3 answers to this question

We love to help crocheters who are having trouble with patterns. We do have to make sure we respect copyright laws while doing so.

The link included in the original post goes to a blog that has posted scanned images of patterns from various sources with no mention that they have permission from the copyright owners to do so. Therefore, according to our policies, we are unable to allow links to that particular blog here on Crochetville.

It would be great if you could provide information about the original source of the pattern, such as the magazine or book in which it was published.

Welcome to Crochetville!

What's the pattern title?  It's a bit difficult to visualize what you're doing.  What I've got in my mind is circle motifs and hairpin lace bands that are joined together.  Are the circles made into wide bands? 

I've done a couple of hairpin lace shawls.  The basic idea is that you're making a band of hairpin lace, which is crocheting in the middle with loops on both sides.  You then crochet into those loops, grabbing 1 or more loops at a time.  If you're joining it to something else, then it's just like seaming.  The stitch counts need to match for the edges to line up and lay flat.

Check out the Stitch Diva link in the following thread ...

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/154637-hairpin-lace-tutorial-link-tips/

I have done a lot of different patterns (including wearables) over the decades and can 'wing' a lot of things, but I wouldn't attempt to size up a complex wearable pattern from a size 6 to size 14.  And a double 'oh heck no' if it were hairpin lace.

Multi-sizing patterns is the hardest part about designing a wearable.  Body parts just don't scale up uniformly.  Sizing up a pattern in a stitch repeat (as yours is) is even more difficult.  That is probably why it's not uncommon to find patterns offered in only 1 size (usually a small one).

An observation (and I'm not really picturing what your pattern looks like, but in general):  If you increased the number of hairpin loops in one part of the pattern that has to connect to specific stitches another (circle?) part, the circle part should have also increased in a proportional way to correspond.

Archived