YIKES! Thank goodness we're not like this!

Drew you're fabulous... I just thought about when the news gets a hold of a movie or song or whatever and they do all the advertising by being so anti-whatever. My only hope is that new budding fiber artists won't be turned completely off due to their attitude.

:hook

Elizabeth

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think what really buggs me the most is that people who are seemingly quite intellegent, and articulate, can't seem to utter one sentence without the "F" word or some other repugnant foul phrase. I checked out the weirdmirrow feed, and I thought it pretty repulsive. I'm glad we here at c'ville have more self respect and respect for our fellow crafter, that we don't have to "tear down" some one else in a public forum, to boost ourselves up a notch. i am also a regular poster at bellaonline crochet forum, and this kinda stuff would never be allowed.

Crochetville and craftster are the only crafty places I post at. Most forums just make me sad, because people feel that they can hide behind their computers and be mean without any reprocussions. The universe doesn't work that way, atleast in my book.

I LOVE CROCHETVILLE and I cannot say enough good things about this forum and the wonderful people here.

Wow having just read that live journal I am amazed at how lucky I was to find crochetville when I did. I haven't seen such negativity in this forum and am so glad. Makes me wonder how people get a kick out of making someone else feel bad must be not enough love in their own lives I guess.

Mary

I have to agree with all of you. This forum is fantastic. I was so worried when I joined that I wouldn't be "accepted". Geez, what am I, in Junior High? Everyone here is so nice and helpful. And I love it that even if people post on a topic that had been covered recently, the members and mods give a gentle nudge to the original topic, instead of getting all nasty. As the forum grows, searching becomes a little more difficult, especially for those who are still relatively new to the internet and such.

Granted, it is their community, as Drew noted. With all that it implies. I'm glad our community is not like that.

All of the mods here have done a wonderful job of making this a welcoming and safe place to ask questions, showcase our work (however diverse it may be) and get critiques, if that's what we ask for. I'm so glad I found Crochetville!

Wow, I can't believe those posts!

I'm also so glad I stumbled across Crochetville when I was first exploring all of this stuff online. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy crocheting so much if I'd stumbled into one of those communities. You all really add a lot to my crocheting... :hug

After trying livejournal and another message board I was glad to find my way here- the main reason that I lurked for so long before posting was because I'd seen how people were treated on these other 'communities' and it made me a little wary of posting anywhere.

I am so glad that I started posting here now- its really nice to not see people being treated badly by other members and people not complaining if someone posts something that's been asked before. And the almosphere is just so much more welcoming.

All in all I am really enjoying myself here, even if my list of projects I want to do has grown dramatically over the last few days.:lol

When I first started on my hunt for "anything crochet" online, Crochetville was one of the first places I found, thanks to a blog link. It was awhile before I even saw any of the others that are out there because once I found this place, I pretty much quit looking! What immediately struck me was the civility that is practiced here, despite the fact that there is a very diverse bunch of folks with beliefs spanning the spectrum - our common interests have been able to transcend those other things. We can leave them at the door, spend time with each other - and get along! I've been on other forums before, and watched far too many of them go up in flames because of that lack of civility, that seeming desire to lash out and hurt others that some folks seem to need to do, and feel safe doing so in the relative anonymity that is afforded in these virtual communities.

Somewhere along the way, many people got raised without any set of values or rules of civility. These used to be things that were considered important, but as the focus of our society changed, so did the notions of what was most important. I believe we see that importance when we witness something like what goes on at that other site, and many others like it (regardless of the forum's focus). When I read stuff like that, it pulls me into myself, like a turtle into it's protective shell. It makes me want to run and hide. It doesn't make me feel good - about myself, about the craft I love, or about them. And I stay away from stuff like that because it's not good for me. That kind of negativity builds walls between people. "No man is an island." We need each other, we don't need to have walls between us, keeping us apart!

When I get home from work every night, I can barely wait for my computer to fire up so I can sign on here and see what's been going on! Crochetville inspires me, from the postings of first efforts on up to the spectacular projects. Sure, there are some highly talented folks at lj, but they have no capacity for inspiration, in fact they give the impression of being fearful of "the competition". That's sad.

I'm glad to be reminded every now and then just how special this place is! May it last this way forever! :manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

Goldi said it best, this place inspires you. I love seeing what others have done and what I can aspire to do. I see something and I think "wow! I can make that someday when I am better"

And everyone here is so willing to share their knowledge and their patterns! Thats what I love!

Somewhere along the way, many people got raised without any set of values or rules of civility. These used to be things that were considered important, but as the focus of our society changed, so did the notions of what was most important.

Even sadder is that some people are raised with them, but just never use them. Oh well, their loss I suppose!

I agree i am so happy i found crochetville firstoff. I've only been using the computer for about a month so i'd have been devastated to be treated like that. Thankyou all you lovely people for being so generous and kind and encouraging i apreciate it very much. I don't understand the need to be mean everyone is a beginner at something and no one is truly an expert at everything. An expert is only a drip with a sore headanyhow!lol Love you guys!

jeez i didnt even know there Could be drama like that over crocheting! :lol

Its kinda funny, except for the poor girl who wrote the tutorial. Hope she finds a nicer group to chat with.

~Chicki

i was thinking the same thing...it is kinda funny....at first, i thought it was a joke...the drawn turorial and then the goofy comments...i thought, is this a parody?....and then when i realised it was real...it became even funnier....drama and crochet didnt seem to be something i would put together....but they have done it brilliantly!

im a newbie to crochet (well, now been at it almost a year) and i have tons of dumb questions...i need things written out for me, and explained at least twice...i ought to post there, i'd drive them nuts!

but in all seriousness....so far, this place has been wonderful and definitely inspiring...and i havent seen any drama yet...just a bunch of talented people at different levels helping and sharing...this is a feel good place ....even if i dont post, i check in at least once a day now that i have found this place and browse the show and tells. :)

Hi, Is the leader of the mean girls a professional designer???? She sure ain't putting out any good vibes! How can one be a sucessful business woman with credibility and resort to a schoolyard mentality? It doesn't make sense. The visciousness of the attacks over a shawl was confounding!

PaganBaby69

Another thing that nice about Crochetville is that if you do "mess up" you aren't corrected in front of everyone and left to feel like you committed the crime of the century!

I didn't realize that my pic was too large on a post the other day. I noticed that instead of chastising me and everyone else on the board telling me I did wrong, a moderator simply changed it so the link to the pic was on my post instead of the oversized pic.

Over at Reality TV World, not only would I have gotten a stern warning for all to see from a MOD but everyone and their brother who post would have told me what I did wrong and that I need to re-read the welcome guidelines...

Someone else previously posted that this is a diverse group but no hate seems to spew back and forth. I find this refreshing! The only reason I post on Reality TV World is because I'm a Reality TV Junkie and love to chat about my fave shows, but since finding this place I'm posting less and less as all the negativity from all including the MODS is getting to be more than I can bear!

THANK YOU CROCHETVILLE! Every day that I come on here I feel like I'm getting a big hug!!!

Donna, you are so right! Plus, I am attempting projects that I don't think I would have otherwise without the support of everyone here.

I love that everyone is so encouraging and there is an atmosphere of "You can do it!". That attitude makes it all seem possible.

I don't see how anyone would want to poison a creative environment with all that unpleasantness. To craft you need patience and positive surroundings, not that kind of constant ridiculing of others. I don't get how a creative person who's doing what she loves, would even feel like nagging other people like that. They must have some deep rooted personal issues.:think

They're really missing out on the nice experience it can be.

Another thought...if she is selling patterns, don't you think that behavior will repel future customers? Additude like that can turn you right off. Suppose someone had a problem with her pattern. Will she spew her venom if that person asked for help? "What? You're too stupid to figure it out?"

Totally self-destructive.

PaganBaby69

They pounced on me before too :rolleyeshttp://www.livejournal.com/community/crochet_snark/30522.html

It wasn't the snark itself that poed me it was the suggestion that I mistreated my sweet little baby girl Please :reyes She's the most spolied dog ever :manyheart

Just ignore them & they'll go away :lol

Chriscrochetcrazy ~ I just have to say that although I do find dressing up animals a bit odd (just my opinion), I find your designs for your animals cute. You are talented and make really cute things. It's obvious that you love your dog and that you take good care of her.

One of my favorite things about this forum is that we have people from all walks of life (witches, christians, political people, grandmas, young moms, single people, men, woman, young kids, different races) and we can actually all get along and treat eachother with the respect and kindness that everyone deserves. Wouldn't it be great if the "real" world could do what we do here on a daily basis?

Archived