YIKES! Thank goodness we're not like this!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Glad we have Crochetville, Were Trying Counts and Bad Manners are out. This was not the first forum I tried, but It is now Home. I had been snubbed in a couple other places, Heck I can get that from my family who needs it.

Man, how awful!! :eek

There are so many places on the internet that get really nasty like that. Forums, chat rooms, blogs.......I love the 'net, but there sure is a lot of negative stuff on it.

I LOVE this forum and am SO glad it was recommended to me!!!:manyheart

I read the post here and went and read the insanity there. Wow:eek ... was anybody else as tired as I was after reading that craziness? :irk I do enjoy the group here. I feel that I can ask beginner crochet questions and still be taken seriously. I am very glad that I stumbled upon C-ville.

:manyheart

Elizabeth

Wow! I can't believe how negative everyone was on that forum. That poor lady who posted the pattern must feel like crud! It's a shame that so many forums have rude people on them that only are there for one purpose: to make other people feel like crud.

I also post on Reality TV World (because I'm a reality junkie) and even though that community is tightly moderated, there are times I'll get spammed for something I say or an opinion I have. There's one particular person on there that doesn't like me and always seems to make some snide comment about what I said. I don't post on there nearly as often since I found this wonderful place! Most people here are super nice and only want to encourage and be nice to each other. I finally felt like I found a home when I found this place! I would never belong to a place that treated each other like the one in the link...

Livejournal is notorious for behavior like that. In fact eris_devotee (Josi from weirdmirror.org) runs a community that is devoted to making fun of projects other crocheters posted or things they said. Reasons like that are why I got out of there and ended up finding this forum instead...soooo happy I did.

This is clearly the best forum!

I have visited many crochet forums. The rudeness, sarcasm, drama is totally unnecessary. Seems really immature. The sad part is that there are a lot of talented people posting, but that kind of environment poisons it for all.

There is a condescending attitude toward beginners, spelling and grammatical errors. What they seem to forget that everyone started at the beginning...

They all made mistakes, poor yarn choices, poor colour choices etc.

Some people are not internet-savvy, have no idea where to look for patterns, stitch-help etc. They get one line responses: "google it"

I remember struggling with my first picture-post on Crochetville, I had instant help (did not even need to ask), private messages, explaining how to do it step- by- step.

I remember posting my first doily: I got such encouragement from very experienced, talented people, whose work I can only admire, not even hope to duplicate:)

As far as the Ipod-cozy is concerned: if one does not need help with constructing one, he/she does not need to look at the schematics. You've got crocheters of many ages, skill levels, some with sewing skills, many without.

Some need the schematics to understand how to create a 3 dimensional object out of a two dimensional fabric. They are not stupid or ignorant, in fact it could be a kid, yours or mine. They don't need to feel dumb for asking .

But then again, you have moderators who are really on the ball and are ready to jump in and diffuse any discussion that even has the remote possibility of turning into drama. And they manage to do it with kind words, without embarrasing anyone. That is key to a successful forum.

Having said all that, the bottom-line is :

Crochetville is the best!:hook

Wow...I'm a member of Live Journal, but I only check out a few friends' journals and once in a while post in my own and we are nice people (we came from other community sites that trained us to be nice on the internet communities)...I just can't believe how mean some people can be...very sad commentary...and what's their point? I guess they just feel the need to cover up their own insecurities by trying to bring down others...and the real thing is, it only makes them look worse, seldom the victim...kwim?

All I know is that I was expecting to read stuff like "That's really neat." and "I know somebody who will find this useful!" (See how Crochetville has spoiled me?) and what I actually read was TOTALLY OPPOSITE!! :eek

Most of the forums I checked out before joining Crochetville, were like that.

The problem is, that it is usually one or two people and they ruin it for everyone else. Infact, the forum I use to post to drove me nuts. No matter what the question the peoson was told to search the forum first, before asking the question. They would at times let a question sit for days till someone else answered it, then they would come in and tell the person who answered it not to be so stupid. That is not the way to do it.

Many a times since I joined Crochetville, I have e-mailed people on the last forum and sent them here.

No one is above making mistakes or not knowing how to do something. No wonder they only use screen names. I usually left certain people alone, but once they berated a young teenager for her, (as they put it) stupid question and her screen name. The poor girl answered that she used her mom's computer for the question. Anyway, long story short, I got on and blasted these people for being so nasty and sarcastic. After all the girl only wanted some infor on a stitch. I told her to come here, we would be glad to help.

Next day, I noticed my post was gone. They can dish it out, but not take it.

Crochetville is great and I am sure there are plenty more just like it.

I am glad I am home.:hook

Livejournal is notorious for behavior like that. In fact eris_devotee (Josi from weirdmirror.org) runs a community that is devoted to making fun of projects other crocheters posted or things they said. Reasons like that are why I got out of there and ended up finding this forum instead...soooo happy I did.

This one I found really upsetting:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/crochet_snark/68071.html

The key y'all is to not get embroiled in their snarks. They have set up a community so they could be themselves (think about all that implies :eek ) If one responds to them it's literally like adding gasoline to a fire and the snarkers always win.

When they snark me it drives my daily hits way up and my booklets get a little surge of sales...but don't tell them! :rofl

The key y'all is to not get embroiled in their snarks. They have set up a community so they could be themselves (think about all that implies :eek ) If one responds to them it's literally like adding gasoline to a fire and the snarkers always win.

When they snark me it drives my daily hits way up and my booklets get a little surge of sales...but don't tell them! :rofl

That's the right attitude!

You are 100% right. It's not just the Snarkers' community though...

The problem starts when people get drawn into arguments with them (just like you said).

Good point crochet dude! You know I think you're the first man I've "met" online or otherwise that actually crochets...very cool!

Archived