'V' stitch help

Jajo72

Question

I am trying to do V stitch, but I seem to have trouble getting the tops of the V's to join up, and instead end up with spaces equal to the top of the V's. It doesn't look horrendous, but it's not what it is supposed to be, so I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong?

Could it just be wrong hook size for the yarn? I am using a 5mm hook.

I have tried adjusting the tension, but it just makes the right side of the V too short.

post-76922-0-60677000-1453812351_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I'm not sure what you mean by "join up."  Do you mean that you want them closer together?  Less holey?  How many chains are you doing between each DC in your V-stitches?  I do one chain.  If you're doing more than one, try it with only one.

The only thing I see is that quite often you've got a hole in the top of your 2nd DC in each V-stitch.  It's where you skip stitches to transition from one V-stitch to the next V-stitch.  This comes from stretching the yarn on your hook as you start the next DC.   The yarn should still be close together on the hook.  I'm finding this really hard to explain.  Here's what you can do to visualize what I mean.  Make a swatch of just DC stitches.  When you get to the 2nd row start watching where the yarn is on your hook every time you YO and insert to start a DC.  On the 3rd row, switch to V-stitches.  Make sure that the yarn is on your hook the same as the DCs on the previous row for every DC stitch.  If it's stretching when you transition over skipped stitches, tighten it up.  Keep going with the V-stitches until it's consistent with just making DC stitches.  It's well worth the time to practice this, since skipping stitches between tall stitches (DC or TR) is quite common for a lot of things.

ETA: I just saw that you're from England!  I used US crochet terms in my explanation.  Sorry about that!  There's a difference between US and UK/Australian crochet terms....

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/10/british-vs-american-crochet-terms/

Agreeing with the above replies in that there seems to be a tension issue with your (US) DC stitches (the tops especially), not sure if you have an innately loose tension or are using a too-big hook for the yarn.

Otherwise it looks right, just a little loose.

Archived