Help with 70's vintage butterfly shawl pattern

Khubcap

Question

I am trying to make this shawl.. It calls for chenille, but I couldn't find what I wanted online, so I have tried making it with worsten weight yarn( due to a suggested for another person) I'm starting to think it isn't the best choice.. Has anyone made this pattern? I've made a few pieces and started putting it together and it just doesn't seem big enough, or I'm not putting it together right.

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

If this is a pattern from the 70s that someone is selling now, it is almost certainly violating the original copyright.

The most important thing to know isstitch gauge...if you can match that your yarn should be fine. Hopefully the pattern includes a schematic but those were very rare in the 70s.

Did you up your hook size?  Worsted weight yarn is a different weight than chenille, so you have to either use 2 strands or up your hook size to get the gauge.  Chenille is a weight of 5, bulky.  Worsted is a weight of 4.  Either way, it's not going to look like the original, because the texture is so different.  If you can't find a chenille in the color(s) you want, good substitutes are boucle and homespun.  The thing about chenille, boucle and homespun is they work up very cozy and fluid, but there's no stitch definition.

Here's a post about yarn textures.  It include a link to the Yarn Council's weight chart.

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155671-yarn-tips/

Chenille is not always bulky, it can be lighter as well for example https://halcyonyarn.com/yarn/0962210M/casco-bay-cotton-chenille

If you are trying to match an older yarn that is no longer made, you need to get as much info as you can about that yarn. For waht it's worth, I seem to remember pretty light chenille from the 70s, probably about DK weight so lighter than worsted.

But again, I think the main thing you need to do is match the pattern gauge.  

Does the pattern include a schematic or measurements of the pieces?  that would be very helpful.  

I have had to remove a link to a pattern listing. The seller has scanned a pattern from the 1970s and is selling PDFs of that pattern. She has also scanned many vintage patterns and is selling PDFs of them.

She does not make any claim that she has taken the proper steps to verify whether or not these patterns are still under copyright protection. To prevent any issues with contributory copyright infringement, I have removed the link.

Please be careful when sharing any links to PDFs of vintage patterns. Do your due diligence and make sure the seller 1) is the copyright owner, 2) states they have permission to distribute the patterns, or 3) states they have verified the pattern is now in the public domain.

Thanks so much for helping us keep our site free of any legal issues.

No schematics or measurements for the finished product.. Or just has a gauge of 2 1/2 sc = 1", 3 rows = 1" and the original yarn that it calls for is Lilly 6cut chenille yarn.. Hopefully I can get it figured out before I get to discouraged with it..

2.5 sc to 1 inch is pretty big gauge.  I don't have any true bulky yarn but I have some heavy aran/light bulky and i can get that stitch gauge with a K 6.5mm hook.  Of course your gauge may well be different.  

Since it's an old pattern, I wouldn't worry too much about whatever letter hook it says to use---just use whatever you can get gauge with.  the lettering system hasn't always been consistent, and the larger sizes are still given as a range in the US standards:  9mm is m or n, 10mm is n or p, 15mm is p or q, and 16mm can also be q.  :eek    http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/hooks.html

Archived