Yarn, yarn, yarn and more yarn.

I feel like I'm already gravitating toward specific yarn. Lily's Sugar'n Cream. I have some acrylics on hand, don't like them and when at the store it's where I head. I get overwhelmed when in the yarn aisle and that isn't helping. Am I limiting what I will be able to do?

And how do you not buy buy buy????? Coupons, online sales, in store sales...

Do most of you buy as you figure out your next project? Or do you just keep a variety on hand? I have been going to Michaels because it is near my house. Was in JoAnn Fabric the other day and walked out so stressed over aisles and aisles of yarn.

I don't want to spend a fortune but want to have a basic stock I guess so if I come across something I want to make, I have yarn. But don't want to end up buying stuff I will never need.

Sorry, rambled. Never thought I would be rambling about yarn but I love it!!!!

I usually buy yarn i need for a specific project. The sales and coupons at joanns come out every few weeks so i try not to spend money just because i have a coupon. If i miss one coupo anotherwill be along in my mailbox or email soon enough.

There are always leftovers from every project and sometimes people give me yarn so there is always yarn on hand to practice with or do a small item inbetween other projects.

I usually buy yarn i need for a specific project. The sales and coupons at joanns come out every few weeks so i try not to spend money just because i have a coupon. If i miss one coupo anotherwill be along in my mailbox or email soon enough.

There are always leftovers from every project and sometimes people give me yarn so there is always yarn on hand to practice with or do a small item inbetween other projects.

Those coupons are killers. Soooooo tempting to use them all lol

oh it was really hard for me this week with the Michael's yarn sale,I was ready for some new yarn,I really toned down my yarn purchases in the last two years,I'm running out of places to store yarn and not really doing the 100 hats like I did for two years

now my purchase is only to replenish what I have finished up,say black or navy blue and that's it.

:rofl  Oh what problems!

When I was younger, I could only afford to buy exactly what I needed for each project. The little bits of left over yarn were so precious.

Now, I'm certainly not rich, but I'm much more comfortable in terms of money, so if I want a yarn, I buy it. Even so, almost all my yarn has been bought on sale, at dollar stores, from people selling their stashes, etc. I have built a huge stash this way, and I absolutely love it! I probably have more than the stock at my local WalMart.

What I especially love is that now, in the middle of the winter, I can just go in my bins and "shop" instead of going out in this 20 degree weather because I need some jade or pale yellow or whatever. I really enjoy having all this yarn and have many projects in process at all times.

oh it was really hard for me this week with the Michael's yarn sale,I was ready for some new yarn,I really toned down my yarn purchases in the last two years,I'm running out of places to store yarn and not really doing the 100 hats like I did for two years

now my purchase is only to replenish what I have finished up,say black or navy blue and that's it.

Yeah I ended up there last night. Lol

:rofl  Oh what problems!

When I was younger, I could only afford to buy exactly what I needed for each project. The little bits of left over yarn were so precious.

Now, I'm certainly not rich, but I'm much more comfortable in terms of money, so if I want a yarn, I buy it. Even so, almost all my yarn has been bought on sale, at dollar stores, from people selling their stashes, etc. I have built a huge stash this way, and I absolutely love it! I probably have more than the stock at my local WalMart.

What I especially love is that now, in the middle of the winter, I can just go in my bins and "shop" instead of going out in this 20 degree weather because I need some jade or pale yellow or whatever. I really enjoy having all this yarn and have many projects in process at all times.

Oh I hadn't thought about the dollar store. I didn't know they had yarn.

I agree with being prepared because of weather. Looks like we will be in the house all this weekend because of a snow storm.

I collect patterns.  I've always got 1 or 2 projects going.  Then I've got the next pattern and yarn for it.  While I'm doing those, I start collecting yarn for the project after that.  I only buy yarn for a specific project, one skein at a time, when it isn't on sale and I use whichever store has the best % coupon for one non-sale item.  When I get a $10 reward from AC Moore, I wait for the day that they have a % off sale items.  Then I pick one of my patterns that uses the type of yarn that's on sale and get $10 worth.  I can't afford to buy yarn, just for the sake of having it on hand.  I'm lucky that within a mile I have AC Moore, JoAnn's, Michaels and 2 dollar stores.  Plus the Walmart is near my son's work and since he lost his license, I drive him.  The AC Moore is on the way home from my son's work and has the best discounts, so I buy from there first.  If they don't have what I want, then both the JoAnn's and Michaels are next door to where one of my yarn groups meet.

Here's what I learned ...

All 3 stores have at least one % off 1 non-sale item, limited to 1 item, per person, per day, every week.  All 3 take each other's coupons and do price matching.  All 3 offer additional discounts for things like teachers, veterans, etc.  All 3 have at least a few yarns on sale every week.  I check all 3 websites every Sunday, because that's when they post for the week.

1. AC Moore offers the most discounts and rewards.  They sell $50 gift cards, get a $10 gift card free, near every holiday.   That's an extra 20% discount.  You collect rewards, which expire every February 1st.  Reach 2000 points and they send you a $10 rewards card.  Quite often they offer 1000 or more points for spending $15-25.  Sign up for their email and you get better coupons than advertised on their website or in the mail.

2. JoAnn's allows you to stack coupons.  So, you can use 4 coupons (1 each from JoAnn's, Michaels, AC Moore and Hobby Lobby) and buy 4 items.  Some have said that their local JoAnn's won't do this, but the policy is listed on their website, so they are supposed to do it!

3. Michaels doesn't have any extras, except what the other 2 stores also offer.  Although, I've found that their store brand, Loops and Threads, is comparable to Lion Brand and Deborah Norville.  I've found colors that the national brands don't have.  It's softer and easier to work with than RHSS and Caron Pounders.

4. Walmart has better prices, but only slightly.  It's never better than the price using the coupons.  They don't do yarn coupons and rarely put yarn on sale.  All 3 of the Walmarts within driving distance of me have a lot smaller yarn selection than the craft stores.

I collect patterns.  I've always got 1 or 2 projects going.  Then I've got the next pattern and yarn for it.  While I'm doing those, I start collecting yarn for the project after that.  I only buy yarn for a specific project, one skein at a time, when it isn't on sale and I use whichever store has the best % coupon for one non-sale item.  When I get a $10 reward from AC Moore, I wait for the day that they have a % off sale items.  Then I pick one of my patterns that uses the type of yarn that's on sale and get $10 worth.  I can't afford to buy yarn, just for the sake of having it on hand.  I'm lucky that within a mile I have AC Moore, JoAnn's, Michaels and 2 dollar stores.  Plus the Walmart is near my son's work and since he lost his license, I drive him.  The AC Moore is on the way home from my son's work and has the best discounts, so I buy from there first.  If they don't have what I want, then both the JoAnn's and Michaels are next door to where one of my yarn groups meet.

Here's what I learned ...

All 3 stores have at least one % off 1 non-sale item, limited to 1 item, per person, per day, every week.  All 3 take each other's coupons and do price matching.  All 3 offer additional discounts for things like teachers, veterans, etc.  All 3 have at least a few yarns on sale every week.  I check all 3 websites every Sunday, because that's when they post for the week.

1. AC Moore offers the most discounts and rewards.  They sell $50 gift cards, get a $10 gift card free, near every holiday.   That's an extra 20% discount.  You collect rewards, which expire every February 1st.  Reach 2000 points and they send you a $10 rewards card.  Quite often they offer 1000 or more points for spending $15-25.  Sign up for their email and you get better coupons than advertised on their website or in the mail.

2. JoAnn's allows you to stack coupons.  So, you can use 4 coupons (1 each from JoAnn's, Michaels, AC Moore and Hobby Lobby) and buy 4 items.  Some have said that their local JoAnn's won't do this, but the policy is listed on their website, so they are supposed to do it!

3. Michaels doesn't have any extras, except what the other 2 stores also offer.  Although, I've found that their store brand, Loops and Threads, is comparable to Lion Brand and Deborah Norville.  I've found colors that the national brands don't have.  It's softer and easier to work with than RHSS and Caron Pounders.

4. Walmart has better prices, but only slightly.  It's never better than the price using the coupons.  They don't do yarn coupons and rarely put yarn on sale.  All 3 of the Walmarts within driving distance of me have a lot smaller yarn selection than the craft stores.

Wow!!! Lots of great info! Thank you!!

I shop two ways. 

One as stated is by project.  If I get a new pattern and I don't have suitable yarn I buy it.

However, I also make many of the same types of patterns yearly for the donations I make, toys for my family, house items like dishclothes, scrubbies, etc. so there are certain specific yarns I know I'm going to use.  If I know I'm getting low on specific yarns and they are on sale I pick them up.

What you buy depends a great deal on what you make.

I used to shop mostly at AC Moore.  However, I don't get there as often as I did so I shop online more than I did before.  I look for sales, coupons, and shipping offers.  I also find for some of the stuff I make I can't get the lighter yarns I need in the stores, so online is easier.  I primarily use JoAnn's, Knitting Warehouse, and Knit Picks.  I also occasionally have to hit Webs to get something harder to find for some of the doll projects that have specific needs.  I often will put stuff in an online basket at both Knitting Warehouse and JoAnn's to see where it comes out to be the best deal.  It varies.  Sometimes with shipping JoAnn's has the better deal if they have a deal on shipping.  However, sometimes Knitting Warehouse has some great deals on yarn that make the shipping worth it.

I have waaay too much yarn (9 huge, lidded plastic bins including 1 full of just thread) and too many bags of "projects" sitting in the closet in my studio I haven't even touched yet.

Now I only buy if I run out of something- No more impulse buying. The JoAnn's I shop at about every 6 weeks or so has a cashier that remembers me for the amount of coupons I use from daily e-mails and on my phone. Last time I was there, she said, "Our Coupon Queen! Whaaaat, no yarn?".

I love the cotton yarns made by Lion Brand and Hobby Lobby for dishcloths and potholders. Softer than Sugar-n-Cream and durable.

ETA: Forgot to mention- I have found some great yarns and threads at thrift shops and yard sales. They came in so handy for charity and discontinued.

I shop two ways. 

One as stated is by project.  If I get a new pattern and I don't have suitable yarn I buy it.

However, I also make many of the same types of patterns yearly for the donations I make, toys for my family, house items like dishclothes, scrubbies, etc. so there are certain specific yarns I know I'm going to use.  If I know I'm getting low on specific yarns and they are on sale I pick them up.

What you buy depends a great deal on what you make.

I used to shop mostly at AC Moore.  However, I don't get there as often as I did so I shop online more than I did before.  I look for sales, coupons, and shipping offers.  I also find for some of the stuff I make I can't get the lighter yarns I need in the stores, so online is easier.  I primarily use JoAnn's, Knitting Warehouse, and Knit Picks.  I also occasionally have to hit Webs to get something harder to find for some of the doll projects that have specific needs.  I often will put stuff in an online basket at both Knitting Warehouse and JoAnn's to see where it comes out to be the best deal.  It varies.  Sometimes with shipping JoAnn's has the better deal if they have a deal on shipping.  However, sometimes Knitting Warehouse has some great deals on yarn that make the shipping worth it.

That's a great idea about using the baskets and then comparing!!! Very smart!

I have waaay too much yarn (9 huge, lidded plastic bins including 1 full of just thread) and too many bags of "projects" sitting in the closet in my studio I haven't even touched yet.

Now I only buy if I run out of something- No more impulse buying. The JoAnn's I shop at about every 6 weeks or so has a cashier that remembers me for the amount of coupons I use from daily e-mails and on my phone. Last time I was there, she said, "Our Coupon Queen! Whaaaat, no yarn?".

I love the cotton yarns made by Lion Brand and Hobby Lobby for dishcloths and potholders. Softer than Sugar-n-Cream and durable.

ETA: Forgot to mention- I have found some great yarns and threads at thrift shops and yard sales. They came in so handy for charity and discontinued.

I will have to check out those brands for cottons. I am near the Hobby Lobby maybe once a month, if that. Coupons are great!! My husband laughs because we walk into a store and I pull out my phone for coupons. Going to save where I can.

I'm in thrift stores a lot and now I'm looking. Got a nice set of hooks the other day in a cute handmade roll up case. They are all wicked tiny so I don't know if I will ever use them but fun to have. I love the look of thread and yarn. I have a few mason jars that are full of balls of tatting thread. Will probably never use them but awesome decoration.

Ooooohhh! Hobby Lobby's cotton is wonderful! It's very soft. I'm using some (from a sale of course) right now to make baby wash cloths, burp cloths, and bibs.

Also, when I occasionally order on-line, I do it when I can get sale prices and free shipping.

A great place for sales, that a lot of people don't seem to know about, is Spinrite's own discount shop for yarns or colors they are discontinuing. Yarn is sold in bags of skeins. A few yarns come in Monster Balls, up to as large as 2 pounds! Sometimes shipping is free. I've bought some superb yarn through them.

Spinrite is in Canada and owns Patons, Bernat, Sugar 'n Cream, Peaches & Creme, part of Caron, and a couple smaller companies. We can order through their e-tent sale, an outgrowth of their actual tent sale. Even though they are in Canada, it doesn't take long to receive orders in the US.

Ooooohhh! Hobby Lobby's cotton is wonderful! It's very soft. I'm using some (from a sale of course) right now to make baby wash cloths, burp cloths, and bibs.

Also, when I occasionally order on-line, I do it when I can get sale prices and free shipping.

A great place for sales, that a lot of people don't seem to know about, is Spinrite's own discount shop for yarns or colors they are discontinuing. Yarn is sold in bags of skeins. A few yarns come in Monster Balls, up to as large as 2 pounds! Sometimes shipping is free. I've bought some superb yarn through them.

Spinrite is in Canada and owns Patons, Bernat, Sugar 'n Cream, Peaches & Creme, part of Caron, and a couple smaller companies. We can order through their e-tent sale, an outgrowth of their actual tent sale. Even though they are in Canada, it doesn't take long to receive orders in the US.

Ok I just got super excited when I read baby washcloths. Why I hadn't thought of that, I'm not sure. My brother is having his first child this spring.

I will have to check out Spinrite! Thank you!!

Ooops - Just got a Sunday circular from AC Moore advertising Caron One Pounders and Lion Pound of Love for $6.99 BUT says that they are REGULAR $9.99  :( Can that be possible???? Maybe a typo????

I agree with Bailey.  I've never paid the regular price of $9.99 for them.  I don't buy them on sale, either, unless they're on sale for $6 and there's a coupon for 20% off sale items.  Usually, I use a 50% or higher coupon and get them one at a time.  I've never paid over $5 for a pounder of any brand at AC Moore.

I've always used a 40% coupon, but had never seen it as high regularly as $9.99, which of course makes the coupon price higher than it was when the regular price was substantially less. And, with oil prices so low, raising it to this price is rediculous.

Most of the times I've been there it's almost always on sale some where between the $6.99-$7.99 sale price again I believe to avoid people using their coupons  I can't speak for other areas, but here when the item is on sale AC Moore doesn't let us use the coupon..  I'm not sure when it went to $9.99 because I never pay it when its over the $7.99 unless it isn't on sale and I need one skein to finish a project and I have a coupon.  So, I know the Pounders have always been on the high end.  I don't buy the Pound of Love often so I can't speak to that.

I try to wait it out until I can get them under $6 but it doesn't always work for my projects.

Around here it's been at $9.99 regular price for at least 1.5 years.  It's quite often at 2/$12, but you don't have to get 2 to get the sale price.  Now and then, they'll even offer pounders at 2/$10.  I love it when AC Moore has those rare coupons that say take XX% off of regular and sale items!  If you sign up for their emails, you'll get the better than advertised coupons in your email.  Otherwise, check their website on Sundays.  That's when they post their ad for the week.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm like a kid in a candy store in the yarn isle. It's like every yarn is a new crayon in a crayon box - all pretty and unused. I used to crochet years ago and stopped. I would just buy yarn I thought was pretty and would spend money all the time without any specific projects in the works. Needless to say, I now have tons of yarn but only a few of each so it's almost like a ton of odds and ends. I'm much older and have learned from my previous years of yarn craze. I should buy for a specific project. 

When I walk down that yarn aisle...I'm in love! I have to tell myself, "no".  :no

• 4 weeks later...

I have been replenishing my stash like crazy lately.  I was homeless a couple of years ago and lost all of my stuff, everything except for some things my kids made, some pictures and little nick knacks I could store at my gf's house.  At the time I had 3-4 big black garbage bags full of yarn, mostly acrylics. Since I am trying to rebuild, trying not to go too crazy though, I have been buying a lot more specialty yarns and cotton.  I have some WIPS on the hook already but every time I buy some yarn or thread I feel guilty. 

Archived