Why all the pressure? Lol

If you are using cotton for the dishcloths, you could try pot holders, hot pads and drink coasters. There are many small things that won't bore you. Who knows, maybe you'll work up to bigger things, like hats and scarves.

Ellie 13

P.S. To fix a tight starting chain, use a hook one size larger for the chain, then go back to the smaller hook for the stitches.

If you are using cotton for the dishcloths, you could try pot holders, hot pads and drink coasters. There are many small things that won't bore you. Who knows, maybe you'll work up to bigger things, like hats and scarves.

Ellie 13

P.S. To fix a tight starting chain, use a hook one size larger for the chain, then go back to the smaller hook for the stitches.

Earlier I went through the part of the forum where pics are posted, and looked through the kitchen/bath and got so excited!!!!

I have been using one size larger on the chain but then I go tight then loose and tight. I was just saying to my husband that I know a few stitches and want to really be digging in but this tension thing is holding me back lol I think a lot is I can't find a comfortable consistent way to hold my yarn. Will work good for a few stitches then wicked tight or so loose it falls off my hand. Sitting down now to find all the options I can and get it figured out.

I know there is so much I want to get crocheting on and I keep getting orders for things people want. Luckily I never did let on that I was doing it for free, so I have been charging for my items that I make. Especially if its one of the amigurumi's that someone wants. Every time I get close to filling all my orders I get another one.

I don't have a lot of family so no one has really asked me to make them something. My mom got slippers and a amigurumi cat for Christmas and I crocheted items for my son and husband but otherwise, not much family that would use or need anything that I make.

I know there is so much I want to get crocheting on and I keep getting orders for things people want. Luckily I never did let on that I was doing it for free, so I have been charging for my items that I make. Especially if its one of the amigurumi's that someone wants. Every time I get close to filling all my orders I get another one.

I don't have a lot of family so no one has really asked me to make them something. My mom got slippers and a amigurumi cat for Christmas and I crocheted items for my son and husband but otherwise, not much family that would use or need anything that I make.

First day I started my sister sent me pics of amigurumi's she wanted lol Yeah one day would love to be able to do that but that is way way down the road.

They are not too difficult, an amigurumi was actually the first thing I crocheted. I followed a youtube crochet a long. Was pretty easy. I am more worried about crocheting the graphghans I want to for Christmas this year. You can do it! ;)

They are not too difficult, an amigurumi was actually the first thing I crocheted. I followed a youtube crochet a long. Was pretty easy. I am more worried about crocheting the graphghans I want to for Christmas this year. You can do it! ;)

I would never of thought of any of those for beginners.... Off to YouTube!!! Thank you for the encouragement!! It's great to be able to talk about all of this!!! Went and googled graphgan, not a term I'm familiar with. Those look amazing!!!!

Earlier I went through the part of the forum where pics are posted, and looked through the kitchen/bath and got so excited!!!!

I have been using one size larger on the chain but then I go tight then loose and tight. I was just saying to my husband that I know a few stitches and want to really be digging in but this tension thing is holding me back lol I think a lot is I can't find a comfortable consistent way to hold my yarn. Will work good for a few stitches then wicked tight or so loose it falls off my hand. Sitting down now to find all the options I can and get it figured out.

Google "Magic Ring", and learn how to make it!  You'll never go back to the chain to make your center!!

Google "Magic Ring", and learn how to make it!  You'll never go back to the chain to make your center!!

For those of us that fail at the "Magic Ring" even after video, written and picture instructions and lots of practice... Use a long tail, chain 1 for ring + chain for height (2 chains for SC.)  Then make all of your first round in the first chain, allowing it to get looser as more stitches are added.  Before joining and/or start of round 2, pull the tail taut, but not tight.

Here's another hint for any round/spiral... get a piece of waste yarn and use it to make a running stitch as you're going around.  Just flip the waste yarn towards or away from you every time you start the next round.  Pull out the running stitch at the end.  It's much easier than moving a stitch marker and it makes it easy to count rounds.

This is such an interesting and fun thread. I've enjoyed reading all the great tips and funnies everyone's experienced.

I keep a little notebook with all requests written down, then, time and cost permitting, I make and gift them on birthdays and holidays. Requests for family/friends to give a gift like a baby blanket or layette, they all know they pay for costs and I try to make the magic.

Diana-Lynn- Practice is the key in crochet. If you haven't already, and find you're still fighting tension, consider trying different ways to hold your hook and how to hold the working yarn with the other hand. Makes a big difference for comfort when you find what's best for you. Keep us posted how you progress.

For those of us that fail at the "Magic Ring" even after video, written and picture instructions and lots of practice... Use a long tail, chain 1 for ring + chain for height (2 chains for SC.) Then make all of your first round in the first chain, allowing it to get looser as more stitches are added. Before joining and/or start of round 2, pull the tail taut, but not tight.

Here's another hint for any round/spiral... get a piece of waste yarn and use it to make a running stitch as you're going around. Just flip the waste yarn towards or away from you every time you start the next round. Pull out the running stitch at the end. It's much easier than moving a stitch marker and it makes it easy to count rounds.

Thanks for the tips!! Saving this!!!

This is such an interesting and fun thread. I've enjoyed reading all the great tips and funnies everyone's experienced.

I keep a little notebook with all requests written down, then, time and cost permitting, I make and gift them on birthdays and holidays. Requests for family/friends to give a gift like a baby blanket or layette, they all know they pay for costs and I try to make the magic.

Diana-Lynn- Practice is the key in crochet. If you haven't already, and find you're still fighting tension, consider trying different ways to hold your hook and how to hold the working yarn with the other hand. Makes a big difference for comfort when you find what's best for you. Keep us posted how you progress.

I worked a long time last night on finding the best way to hold my thread. Think I may have it. We will see in a bit when I sit down with my yarn and hook.

I agree,  the magic ring/adjustable ring tutorials are (unnecessarily) confusing...(be careful googling, magic loop is a knitting term).

Try this:  Everybody knows how to do a slip knot to start your work, right?  Make a slip knot with a longish tail, but don't close it over the hook as you usually would - keep the knot open about 1".  The tail should be on the left side (which is where mine ends up naturally when making the slip knot).  Then, (with a naked hook to start the first stitch!)  work stitches into the 'knot hole', (around both threads).    Later, (after a few rounds or at the end) pull the tail as tight or loose as you want & weave in the tail end well.  

I agree,  the magic ring/adjustable ring tutorials are (unnecessarily) confusing...(be careful googling, magic loop is a knitting term).

Try this:  Everybody knows how to do a slip knot to start your work, right?  Make a slip knot with a longish tail, but don't close it over the hook as you usually would - keep the knot open about 1".  The tail should be on the left side (which is where mine ends up naturally when making the slip knot).  Then, (with a naked hook to start the first stitch!)  work stitches into the 'knot hole', (around both threads).    Later, (after a few rounds or at the end) pull the tail as tight or loose as you want & weave in the tail end well.

Thank you! Went through a few videos last night and found one where the lady made it very simple and I was able to make it!!! Yay me! Lol

Thank you! Went through a few videos last night and found one where the lady made it very simple and I was able to make it!!! Yay me! Lol

Congratulations!! :cheer 

Archived