Still making comfortghans for the elderly

gail0483

It has been more than 10 years since I started visiting nursing homes and retirement homes. I quickly noticed that most people had no family coming to see them so I was broken hearted. I started making comfortghans for those in wheel chairs first but I couldn't neglect the other friends I had made. I have had help from time to time but most of the supplies have come out of pocket, it has gotten harder and harder to do with all the changes to the government going on now. So now I'm asking for any help to help me keep going on to make more comfortghans as the request keeps growing. Please help and it will be appreciated so much, not only by myself but the by the people receiving the blankets. It really makes them smile and feel important.Thanks everyone.

Gail Woodruff

3190 Sussex Drive

Apt 118

Emporia, Va 23847

Hello Gail:)

After I read your post I got an idea. I do not know if will work or not..?.

If you would post here some addresses to those nursing homes, maybe some Ladies  would crochet some afghan's and ship them there. Some maybe even live in that area, In that case they could just drop that of at those nursing homes.

I think the donors feel better when they can give that or ship that straight to recipients not a third party. That is only my opinion, I could be wrong. 

Good Luck!

Krys

I'd also check in with your local senior center.  I know several women in our area who are selling homes and downsizing who are donating yarn, craft stuff, etc. to the senior centers or local churches because they don't have room to store it all where they are moving.  It is worth putting out the word about your charity and seeing what comes of it.  If you belong to a local Church you might let people there know you are looking for yarn they aren't using, too.

You may also be able to start a group among people there who are willing, but don't know of the need. 

The ladies and I that make everything for these sweet people have made our cause known to every church and the few family members that do visit. Sometimes we get lucky. We have learned that most of the nurses aren't honest. I had a shipment of 8 blankets to come directly to a nursing home and the nurses took them home instead of letting me know they came in so I could give them to someone, they must have been really nice. Good thing the lady told me she was shipping them so I knew to look for them. It created a big problem. The comfortghans are usually made 3'x5' to ensure max potential of donations, any design and color combo or single color, male and female. Any help is welcomed and very very appreciated.

Archived