Appliqué thread crochet?

Charis

So I just found this pattern and have decided it is a MUST for my MIL and probably others in my future.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/snowflake-appliqués?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campai

Just one problem...I don't know how to appliqué a snowflake to a pillowcase. I was hoping to find a video tutorial but now I think I may just have to go to a fabric store and have them show me. It seems like it will be tedious no matter what but totally worth it when it's done. I found this video of how to do lace and it seems like it would be about the same. Does this seem like the right technique to use for attaching snowflakes to a pillowcase?

I'll take any advice I can get!

There are multiple stitches for attaching appliques.  This one would work.  My sister does hers using the same stitch that she uses to sew on quilt bindings.  You could also do a whip stitch.  When you use the same color thread as the applique, then it doesn't show. 

If your applique is too thick to get it to lay nicely with pins, try using a few drops of fabric glue to tack it down before sewing.  Use glue that isn't thick, dries clear and doesn't dry too quickly.  Put the drops on the applique. Then you can use a ruler to place it and nudge it to where you want it.  Let it dry completely before sewing.

Great, do I need to have an embroidery hoop or anything? I just watch these videos doing the quilting appliqué and it seems it would be easiest to do it if the pillow case was taut like as it would be in a quilting rack.

I had just planned to do a whip stitch most likely but wasn't sure how great it would look. I like the idea of using some tacky glue to keep it in place. I thought I would lightly starch the snowflakes before attaching them.

Should I wash the pillow case after sewing? I figured I'd just do the normal snowflake routine of soaking it to get all the excess dye out, blocking then starching, and then just sew it. I doubt she will wash the finished product as it is meant to be decor. I also was not intending to use red, yikes! Bleed city! I have some lovely blue thread.

I whipstitch appliques to fabric with sewing thread in the same color and a few drops of fabric glue in the center and edges. They last forever, but, I do recommend hand washing the items.

I looked at the pattern in reference and it does list fabric glue in the materials required. If you're still just not sure, you can contact her on Ravelry or at her website.

You could baste it on instead of gluing, just a few long stitches, enough to make it stay put while you are working on it, then rip the basting out at the end.  Easier than working around pins (although you could pin before basting).

For the snowflakes, I don't think I'd do a blanket stitch like the video; it might work better to tack them on, out from the center for each of the 6 rays*, in a running stitch, or sort of like you might hem a skirt - a longer stitch underneath, then come up and catch the crochet with a small stitch, repeat.

Don't forget to launder (to shrink) both the pillowcase and the snowflakes first.  

*  (edit, I just re-looked, these have more spokes than the usual snowflakes, but I'd still tack them in the center as well as the edge) 

• 10 months later...

Ok, I have another question.

I need to start sewing this soon!

I think I need to downsize the original project from a pillow case with 3 snowflakes to a decorative pillow with 1 snowflake. Do you think this will work?

Archived