Trtr stitch

Cponczek

Question

Confusing instructions! Please help! In a pattern marked "easy" gives instructions as such "working in back loops only, so st in each of next 3 sc. Ch 5 (counts as Trtr). 1 Trtr in each of next 2 sc. *3 Trtr in next sc. 1 Trtr in each of next 3 sc. Rep from * to last 6 sc. 3 Trtr in next sc. 1 Trtr in each of next 3 sc." Then in the abbreviations box this is what it says about Trtr=(Yoh) 4 times and draw up a loop in next stitch. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 5 times.

Now I know what Yoh is (Yarn over hook) but this is not making sense to me. I bought this yarn at Joann Fabrics. I've called the office and store and no help yet. I've looked online and couldn't find anything either. If anyone knows what they are talking, I will be ever grateful. If I can't find out what this means, I'll have to rip out and find another pattern. Oh, this is for an afghan if that helps. I'm not advanced but thought I was past beginner, guess not!

7 answers to this question

Not sure, either!  I've never heard of a trtr!!  Triple treble???  But there are several gals on here who might tell us!  It seems like it would be really "holey"!!

I think I can explain it, by showing the progression of tall stitches ...

dc - yo once, pull through 2 twice

tr - yo twice, pull through 2 three times

dtr - yo three times, pull through 2 four times

trtr - yo four times, pull through 2 five times

Each time you yarn over, you add another pull through 2.  Does this help?

^ What she said, assuming US terms.  I've seen a doily pattern (diagrammed) that had 9 hash marks (meaning, yarnovers), whatever that's called.  I think it would be better if we stopped using the word 'triple' after single double triple, and continue with quadruple, quintuple, hextuple (wait, sextuple?), heptuple, octuple, and so forth (not sure if my terms are exactly right, but you get the idea).  I suppose 9 hash marks would be dectuple.

To the Cponczek, does the rest of what you wrote make sense to you?  Here is a link (US terms) for how to read a crochet pattern's grammar and punctuation--scroll down for the asterisk part.  http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Thanks. That is exactly how it's done. I finally got in touch with a Joann Fabric store (where I bought the yarn) and someone explained it also. She told me it's a relatively new stitch! I will have to keep this site book marked. You guys are great!

Hi, welcome to the ville!  

I'm impressed that you were able to get crocheting help at Joann's, that's great  :D   But just wanted to point out that the (US) trtr is not new, it's been around for many years.  

Yes, it's not new new, but I guess for us old timers, it's new. She told me she had heard about it about 5 years ago. I don't crochet all the time, but also don't call myself a beginner. Once I was able to find out how to do this "new" stitch this is a very easy afghan to make.

Archived