Help clarify instruction steps

Quik

Question

I just begin this pattern and already stuck. http://charmedbyewe.com/free-crochet...-cable-beanie/

I know the front post and treble crochet and doing the crossing of the stitches but the instruction got me all confused. Please help explain. Thank you.

Row 2: Ch 2, skip 2 stitches, FPtrc in next 2 stitches, crossing in front of the posts just made; FPtrc in the 2 skipped stitches, dc in the top of last stitch (beginning chain from previous row), turn (6)

3 answers to this question

That's for the part of the hat that is the cabled band.  You're making it sideways as you look at the hat.  It's done in rows, with each row being 6 stitches wide.

6 stitches ...

1. ch 2 (counts as a dc)

2. third FPtc (done crossed over in front of the first 2 FPtc stitches)

3. fourth FPtc (done crossed over in front of the first 2 FPtc stitches)

4. first FPtc

5. second FPtc

6. dc (done in the last dc for row 2 or in the turning chain on all other rows)

It's like making a big X between 2 dc.

Does this help?

What a cool hat!

So you are making the skinny middle blue band first, when that is done you work into the sides of those stitches to make the crown, then scroll all the way to the bottom of all the size variations for instructions on how to do the brim ribbing.  

The blue post stitch band is a 4 DC cable, here is a video that shows you how to make it; here she's making the cable crossing in the middle of a wider piece, and the cables aren't crossed as frequently as in your hat, but the cable crossing is the same.

When you make a cable (any width), you skip a number of stitches, and then reach either in front or behind those stitches you just made, to make stitches into the skipped stitches.  .

Thank you Redrosesdz.  After reading your explanation then I went for a short walk.  I came back and redo row 2 about 5/6 times and finally got the idea.  I really appreciate your help to get me unconfused (isn't that a word?), well I'm all cleared.

Also thank you Granny Square for re-enforcing the instruction in explaining in another way so I can further understand.

I'm going to officially start crocheting this hat.  It's going to a charity cause.

~ Quik

Archived