2tr, work 2tr, 1ch, 2tr into each of next two

Hazel2000

Question

4 answers to this question

I would interpret to mean:

into the first & second stitch work (work=make) 1 tr

into the 3rd stitch, make 2 tr, 1 ch, 2 tr  (this is a 'V stitch' variation)

into the 4th stitch, same as 3rd stitch

It's more common to use parentheses when indicating that several stitches are to be made into 1 stitch, so when you see '2 tr' without a parenthesis, it normally means 1 triple in each of the next 2 stitches, not 2 tr into 1 stitch.

So I'd re-write your pattern bit as:

2 tr, (2 tr, 1 ch, 2 tr) into each of the next 2 stitches.

Welcome to Crochetville!

I agree with Granny Square!  Is the pattern from the UK?  I'm guessing it is, since you're from England and (2tr, 1 ch, 2tr) is pretty common in patterns.  It could explain why we're used to seeing it written with parentheses, 

There's a difference between UK/Australian crochet terms and US crochet terms.  I'm guessing that there's a variation in pattern writing standards, too.  Here's a handy chart that shows the differences ....

http://www.simplycrochetmag.co.uk/2013/07/04/uk-and-us-crochet-conversion-chart/

So much thanks to you both, Granny Square and Redrosesdz!

It makes so much more sence now that you have written it that way.  It is a UK pattern from a book.

I will have a look at the chart too, many thanks for that.  It seems so easy now that you have written it that way :yay  :ty

I'm glad that helped!  I suspected that it was a UK pattern (aside from the trebles, US will usually say 'ch 1' instead of '1 ch'), but it didn't occur to me that the parentheses convention would be different.  That would be unfortunate, because it does help clarify things.

American conventions here - scroll down to the parentheses section.  Like Redrosesdz said, there might be an equivalent 'craft yarn council of the UK', otherwise this will be helpful if you tackle US patterns:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Archived