MissCric

Question

I am starting an afghan as a beginner, and in the first row after the foundation chain, the pattern reads:

Row 1 (Right side): Dc in sixth ch from hook (5 skipped chs count as first dc plus ch 2) and in next 2 chs, * YO, insert hook in next ch, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook, YO, skip next 3 chs, insert hook in next ch, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook, dc in next 3 chs, ch 2, dc in next ch, ch 2, dc in next 3 dc...

That last step is where I get completely lost! How do I dc in the foundation chain? I don't have any dc in rows below because there aren't any previous rows! Help! 

2 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

that dc in next 3 dc has to be a typo, since as you say there are not any dc to work into yet.  it almost certainly should say dc in next 3 ch.  what is the name and location of the pattern?  

if you don't know how to dc in the foundation chain,  here are videos showing how to make all the stitches into your foundation chain http://www.crochet.org/?page=LearnCrochetRight   if you are left handed, click on the Learn tab there and you can see the Left handed videos.  

what else have you previously made?  it is a good idea to practice the basic stitches, and pattern reading, before tackling a big project.  

Archived