Temperature Blanket CAL

darski

I am thinking that I might like to try this blankie this year.

A Pinterest page about this.

the idea is to work one row on a blanket every day based on the temperature.  you choose a colour (plan the colour plan ahead of time) to match the weather for the day.The challenge is that this year we would have 366 rows.  :eek

I have seen them done in a sort of Granny flat blanket but I was thinking this would be a good time to do a sampler style ghan so I could have some sc rows in there.

Is anyone else interested in a row a day CAL :?

found some info: Temperature scarf

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks awesome! I don't know if I am up for this quite yet. I havn't had the nerve to tackle such a large project yet. But I will enjoy watching everyone work on theirs!!

I started mine today! I also started another one that will be a year long, but we won't quite discuss that haha.. 

welcome aboard.  I still have to do the planning and sorting part and then start a row :)

That looks awesome! I don't know if I am up for this quite yet. I havn't had the nerve to tackle such a large project yet. But I will enjoy watching everyone work on theirs!!

I have been thinking that it might be fun to do a block a week from the average temp that week.  A simple granny once a week might be interesting too and gives you only 52 blocks to make...  with an extra block here or there to mark Christmas or a birthday would get you a 6 X 9 (=54) afghan

it would likely mean recording the temps to do the math but it is tempting. :think

might be the way to go

I have been thinking that it might be fun to do a block a week from the average temp that week.  A simple granny once a week might be interesting too and gives you only 52 blocks to make...  with an extra block here or there to mark Christmas or a birthday would get you a 6 X 9 (=54) afghan

it would likely mean recording the temps to do the math but it is tempting. :think

might be the way to go

Didn't think about doing it ins squares... That would be cool, but I really like how the stripes look.

I will be doing 4 rows each week. making it 208 rows tall and I still have to figure out how WIDE I want it too... I'll be recording the average HIGH temp one week then the average LOW temp the next week and alternate like that. I don't know about a pattern quite yet. I was thinking simple half double crochet, but I'm still going to check out different patterns to find something that I just absolutely LOVE.

Well, shoot...after April, mine will be the same color until October. Summer in Phoenix is no fun!!

since you get to pick the range you could make every degree a different colour.  It is a way to get some interest happening.  :yes

I'm going to be working in Fahrenheit temperatures.  I've worked up a plan and quite frankly I could use a critique of my temp ranges and colour choices..  I'm counting from 0^ F to 95^ F.

my ranges and colours:

0 - 15  Deep purple

16 - 25  Med purple

26 - 36 med blue

37 - 45 Light blue

46 - 55 green

56 - 65 Spring green

66 - 72 Rose (where roses begin to bloom  :flower  )

73 - 80 orange

81 - 86 yellow

87 - 95 golden yellow

I'm already thinking that the light blue should be the 32^ bit as it is more in the ice range... thoughts?

I saw this also and was thinking about tackling it. Maybe I can keep up with one row a day! I'm on board. Now to choose some colors.

I've heard bits and pieces about this method but today - probably because of the Jan 1st thingy - it just caught my eye.

I'm going to be working in Fahrenheit temperatures.  I've worked up a plan and quite frankly I could use a critique of my temp ranges and colour choices..  I'm counting from 0^ F to 95^ F.

my ranges and colours:

0 - 15  Deep purple

16 - 25  Med purple

26 - 36 med blue

37 - 45 Light blue

46 - 55 green

56 - 65 Spring green

66 - 72 Rose (where roses begin to bloom  :flower  )

73 - 80 orange

81 - 86 yellow

87 - 95 golden yellow

I'm already thinking that the light blue should be the 32^ bit as it is more in the ice range... thoughts?

My thoughts?  They sound great!!  I have a question.  Are you using the high or low temp?  High in summer-low in winter?

My thoughts?  They sound great!!  I have a question.  Are you using the high or low temp?  High in summer-low in winter?

I was planning to check the temp at the top of my monitor at around noon hour every day.  that is as far as my scientific skills go :rofl

this sounds like an awesome idea, I'll have to figure out my colours then I'll probably be joining in :) xx

I've chained 208 and will be doing 65 rows, I'm hoping it will be a good size for a sofa throw, the chains are definitely longer than our sofa is wide so I'm just hoping 65 rows is enough :) otherwise I'll be carrying it on for next year lol

post-70532-0-90997300-1451817354_thumb.jpg

I started one. But I'm doing partial rows. I started with a chain of 200. Each day I'm doing 65 stitches in double crochet. If it seems like it will be too big, I'll switch to half doubles in February and go from there. If my swatch holds true, it will be around 5 x 5.5 feet. I'm using the high from the day, which is proving to be a little tricky to hunt down!

I started one. But I'm doing partial rows. I started with a chain of 200. Each day I'm doing 65 stitches in double crochet. If it seems like it will be too big, I'll switch to half doubles in February and go from there. If my swatch holds true, it will be around 5 x 5.5 feet. I'm using the high from the day, which is proving to be a little tricky to hunt down!

Go to accuweather.com. Then put in your town/city. When that comes up, click on "month" and you'll get a month calender (you can scroll through the months also) that gives the predicted temps, but also the actual temps on days already passed.

I have been thinking that I should go to my Environment Canada site once a week  and record their 7 day guesstimates just in case I don't get a chance to get individual days.

It is usually in the ballpark according to temps at any rate. :think

ETA: went to EC and discovered we are going to get a 20 degree F. drop in temp from today to tomorrow :eek  will add a spark of interest to my colours at least.

Will post a pic of my 3 rows once the number is set for today. 

I'm not ready to commit to this, but I wanted to share an idea for a temperature blanket that I saw on Facebook. Rather than doing stripes, this crocheted used this pattern: http://atty-s.blogspot.nl/2014/10/little-dots-pattern_12.html?m=1 to make little dot motifs which she made into a temperature blanket. She is doing highs and lows for each day, and is joining as she goes. Hers looks really neat. You can see examples on this Pinterest page:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/459296861978068441/

I was unable to look at the Pinterest page that Darski posted, so this might have been included on that page as well.

I'm not ready to commit to this, but I wanted to share an idea for a temperature blanket that I saw on Facebook. Rather than doing stripes, this crocheted used this pattern: http://atty-s.blogspot.nl/2014/10/little-dots-pattern_12.html?m=1 to make little dot motifs which she made into a temperature blanket. She is doing highs and lows for each day, and is joining as she goes. Hers looks really neat. You can see examples on this Pinterest page:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/459296861978068441/

I was unable to look at the Pinterest page that Darski posted, so this might have been included on that page as well.

I love that but it is more work than I would want to undertake.

Lovely to look at though. :drool

Okay, I must confess I am already 3 days behind on this. I have checked my stash and chosen some yarn, and have come up with a color scheme. I did have to order a few colors and, oh no, they are on back order, so hope the temps don't change into those color ranges too soon. I have decide to use the median temps each day. I found a site called Wunderground with all sorts of weather info and even had a history to look up past days.

What pattern is everyone using?

It is fairly easy to catch up on this one as you only need o row or square a day.

I am doing a completely random sampler style myself.  If we ever get some sunshine I can get a pic of my 3 rows

I am working over 90 sts. that seems to be a good width for a wheelchair ghan.

Go to accuweather.com. Then put in your town/city. When that comes up, click on "month" and you'll get a month calender (you can scroll through the months also) that gives the predicted temps, but also the actual temps on days already passed.

Thanks! I was going to use wunderground.com, but yesterday and today it's been telling me that there was no data available. I think I'll switch over to accuweather.

I thought about the dots pattern, but really didn't want to spend the time joining!

Archived