Baby Kimono Pattern Help

Mita Ruth-Marie Gonzalez

Question

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10465.html?noImages=;ss=&newreg=1

This is the pattern I am working on, I am a bit confused at the end of "Divide for Neck and Fronts" portion. 

[Rep Rows 6 and 7 until piece measures 10 (11, 12) in. (25.5 (28, 30.5) cm) from beg of sleeve. End at marked neck edge.]

This part here is what I don't understand & how do I continue after this? It says this pattern is suppose to be done as 1 piece but I don't see how that's possible. Please help. Im doing this for my unborn child do go home in & I am due in 24 days.

3 answers to this question

HI Mita!  Congratulations!!

You're making the part that slopes on one side and has a straight edge on the other side.  Starting at the shoulder line, it's straight edges for 5 rows.  Row 6 starts the slopping and is at the top of the neck. 

Row 6 increases at the beginning of the row (2 sc in the same stitch) and row 7 increases at the end of the row.  Always increasing on the one side is what causes the shape to slope.  The pattern wants you to alternate rows 6 and 7 until you reach the length that you want.  The last row will be one where you increase last, which is the same as row 7.  They have you mark row 6, so that it's easier to see where you should end.

"Divide for Neck fronts" means that you're going to be crocheting a portion of the back's longer row.  This is also known as a short row.  When you get to the other front, you'll join yarn to the other side of the back's longer row and crochet the other portion.  The middle portion of the back's longer row remains unstitched, to create the neck opening.

Last row of back:   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

first front                       open                     second front

I hope this helps!

^ What she said.  Take a look at the diagram, it should make more sense.  

The pattern IS made in 1 piece, (there are not multiple pieces to sew together) but you do have to break the yarn after making the back and 1 front, and re-connect the yarn to the other side of the neck to work the other front.  There will be 2 seams, see the finishing instructions:  fold in half at the shoulders right side in, 1 seam each side reaching from the bottom hem, up the sides & under the arm to the wrist.

Archived