2016 Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - our 10th delivery!

badrhinogillett

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linda to my eye looks like some sort of a box stitch but not for sure. Am I right or wrong Brenda. Boy you sure did a bang up job on ALL of them!! What a wonderful collection!!

And look at that gorgeous rr from Cindy. Beautiful!

Love all the afghans you have all made so far.

Hey looking for some Caron Cuddle Soft in Baby Green.  Maybe you have a skein or two to share?  I know it is discontinued, but I thought I had more than one.  The only other skein I have that matches the color is in WW, so not good.

I am hoping to work on some today.

Love all the afghans you have all made so far.

Hey looking for some Caron Cuddle Soft in Baby Green.  Maybe you have a skein or two to share?  I know it is discontinued, but I thought I had more than one.  The only other skein I have that matches the color is in WW, so not good.

I am hoping to work on some today.

I don't have any Cuddle soft - sorry. Sounds like a great excuse to buy more yarn. :yes

I have a question.  I have patterns for baby doll blankets.  The size is 9" x 12" is that to small? 

Should I make 4 of the same kind and make one blanket out of them?

I know when I made the hats and booties last year, TampaGuy asked if I was making them for babies or dolls?

The blankets use baby or sport yarn and an F hook.

MaryJo - 9x12 will work for the micro preemies or as a lovie for a bigger baby.  Seriously, any size you make is going to find a baby.  The micro preemies that I saw when my son was there were really just the size of a chunky Barbie Doll.  When you make them small, just remember a lighter weight yarn.  Smaller babies = thinner yarn.

There are babies of all sizes... up to 1 year old - so 30 pounds for some.  Anything you feel moved to make will find a baby that will love it.

Thank you Cindy.

I tend to make mine slightly larger - that way they can be a bit more utilitarian...If I'm doing a RR, I try to do it about 30 inches at a minimum.. up to 36.  I do alot of crocheted edged fleece for the hospital and get either 2 or 4 panels to a yard of fabric.  They are small enough to fit in an isolette but big enough to cover a full term baby or wrap a preemie.    

However, I really just kind of make what I feel moved to make.  I tend to believe that when it feels right, it's done.. and it must feel right because there is a baby that needs that exact size.  There are no real accidents in these situations.  

I mailed a package today with 8 little afghans. Will try to post pics of last 3 when I can. I am trying to work on another one but our heatpump quit yesterday so no ac and its 96 degrees out today.

• 1 month later...

Kathryn, I will be sending out a package with 2 afghans.  I do hope they are ok.  I took the small blankets, made 4 and sewed them together.  I wish I could make more.  Maybe next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Two more boxes arrived.  One from Debbie, which I think may have arrived a bit ago - my kids get home before I do and they "Helped" and put the box where I keep them until I get them into the storage tub.  Sorry not to notify you earlier Debbie!  Beautiful hats and afghans to be treasured by the babies.

Another box from Iowa, not sure of the first name of the sender.  Thank you! Adorable monster hats for older kids and afghans and hats for the babies.

I'll work on getting pictures up of the recent packages.  Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived