Crochet Ram Horns

StrawberryWilliams

Question

6 answers to this question

Wow, that might take a bit of trial and error.  In a nutshell, you need shorter stitches, or fewer stitches, on the inside of the curve (assuming you started with a circle at the base of the horn) , and the opposite on the outside of the curve.  

I think the easiest way to do this would be short rows;

start with a little tube for the base, mark where you want the middle of the outer edge

then work  a little past the middle of the outer edge,

turn (don't chain up), make a couple of stitches, 

turn (don't chain up), stitch across the little row just made, plus 1 or 2 (or more) stitches in the round below

repeat the last row a few times (you will have to eyeball this to see how the curve is going), then make a round or 2, and repeat the process.

You will be making little slices that have more stitches on the outside and fewer on the inside.

Welcome to Crochetville.

At Ravelry, this pattern  for sale might work (has link to sellers Blog).

This Viking Hat pattern has a good size set of horns that could be altered to curve like a ram.

This particular pattern is for horns. You could experiment with it to make larger or curved horns. Note: I'm not sure if in the pattern the poster means make 2 or miss 2 for the m2 in her pattern.

I saw that last pattern, but it didn't look curly enough.  By looking at the # of stitches from 1 round to the next I am going to hazard a guess that M2 means make 2 in 1 stitch, so an increase.

The Baalaclava looks closest to a bighorn ram, but unfortunately is knit.

Granny Square, on 27 Dec 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

I saw that last pattern, but it didn't look curly enough.  By looking at the # of stitches from 1 round to the next I am going to hazard a guess that M2 means make 2 in 1 stitch, so an increase.

The Baalaclava looks closest to a bighorn ram, but unfortunately is knit.

Oops! Missed that technicality. Thank you for pointing that out Granny Square.  :)

Do you mean, just the horns of the logo, done in colorwork (changing colors as you make the hat)?  

You could use a program like knitpro.  Download a logo graphic and run it thru the program.  Use the smallest size grid and 1:1 stitch ratio.

You can make the logo take up fewer pixels in the knitpro program by running it thru a Paint-type program, increasing the canvas size, with the logo in the middle - so the logo is a small part of the whole, in the center, with lots of white space around it.   

Any program that makes pixels is going to need cleaning up, it's not going to be a clean grid - the edges between the blue and white are going to be various shades of light blue.  You're going to have to decide which should be blue, and which white.

The other way to do this, if you meant making  flat horns and sewing them on, might be easier albeit require some trial and error. I've made a crude rendition of just the horn below.  I'd start with a chain where the red line is.  The first row, I'd make in SC starting at the wide end, every so often putting 2 sc into 1 chain to make it curve around; not sure what span of plain stitches to increases are, that's where the trial and error come in; the more increases the curvier, so more near the narrow end (be sure you make notes, so you can make another to match, assuming you are putting horns on either side of the hat).  At the narrow end, I'd turn, slip stitch into the first stitch or 2 (use your judgement by the appearance), and do the same thing - increasing enough to get the curve, but keep it flat.  Not sure how many rows it will take, but the same sort of thing I described to keep the shape going; after the first row, increase the number of slip stitches and don't go all the way to the end, to keep it 'pointy' and less thick than the rest. Except for the narrow end tip, it looks about the same thickness except at the left side; on the last row, in that area, I'd do a transition in stitch height - from the sc to a couple of stitches of extended  sc, a couple of HDC, a few of DC and back to sc (use your judgement for placement of where it gets wider and narrows up again) 

Ram horn.jpg

Archived