Hi All,

So glad to find this site.  I am teaching myself to crochet via utube and other online sites. I started this past January, (so just shy of a year), and have become quite addicted.  My first project was an afghan.  Rather ambitious for a first project but I thought what the heck.  Jumped right in and learned some simple stitches.  Single and Double crochet with lots of color changes.   About halfway through it started to get wonky but I continued not really knowing what the issue was.  Figured it was tension as it felt like I had three thumbs when first starting and trying to learn how to hold everything.  I added a scalloped shell border, and it helps hide the wonky a little bit.   I love it and use it all the time and the odd shape makes it feel more rustic.  :o)    After a few months and several more projects I now know I was dropping a stitch at the end turns.  Once it clicks and you have those aha moments it is easy to figure out the mistakes.  To date I have made 4 lap or couch blanket / afghans, ( three for xmas prestents this year), two scarves, one hat, a bath pouf and am currently working on a shawl.  I can't seem to go more than a few days without getting the itch to crochet.  I am looking forward to learning and sharing with you all. 

PS:  I've attached a pic of my favorite project (second afghan I made) so far, a granny square lap blanket.

Michelle

post-76609-0-33876900-1450811374_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michelle H
  • Like 1

Welcome to Crochetville!

It's lovely!  Congrats on such an ambitious first project. 

I noticed that the afghan was done all on the right side (without turning.)  Crochet stitches, especially longer ones, have a bias.  If a square is done all on the right side, it will skew to the right (for right-handers) or to the left (for left-handers) and will look wonky.  When squares are small, it's not that noticeable.  However, the bigger it gets, the more noticeable it becomes.

Without turning...

////////////

////////////

////////////

////////////

With turning at the end of each round...

////////////

\\\\\\\\\\\

////////////

\\\\\\\\\\\

Turning cancels out the bias.  I learned this from Crochetville's expert, Granny Square!  :)

• Like 1

Hi :hi and Welcome :welcome    to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

• Like 1

hello and welcome from Ohio!