Jamylee

Discovering a stitch

Question

post-76568-0-04006800-1450306720_thumb.jpgI have a picture of a scarf and I am desperate to find out what stitch it is so I can make one for my husband.

Edited by Jamylee

16 answers to this question

Add the link to the picture.  Highlight a word(s).  Click on the chain with the green plus.  Enter the URL and click on OK.

You can add pictures to your posts, however you can't post a picture of something someone else has made due to copyright laws.  Here's how...

1. Click on Edit (between the "Report" link and the "MultiQuote" button.)  Then click on the "Full Editor" button.  This takes you to where you were when you created the post.

2. Scroll down to the "Attach Files' section.

a. Click on Browse.  Select your picture and click on "OK."

b. Click on "Attach this File."

c. Click in your post where you want the pic.  Click on "Add to Post."

3. Click on Save

Edited by redrosesdz
  • Like 1

Thank you so much! This option was not on my phone, but when I pulled it up on the computer your instructions were perfect!

You're welcome!  My book, The Crochet Bible, calls that the Woven stitch, although you'll find that some stitches have multiple names and some names have multiple stitches.  Confusing, huh?  LOL

Here's how....

Foundation: even number of stitches

Row 1: 1 sc in the 2nd ch from the hook.  * 1 ch, sk, 1 sc* repeat to the end.  Turn.

Row 2: 1 ch, sk first sc. *1 sc in ch-1 sp, 1 ch, sk* repeat to the end, ending with 1 sc in ch.

Repeat row 2 until the desired length.

Edited by redrosesdz
  • Like 1

Not to be a downer, but the photo is knit seed stitch http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-knit-the-seed-stitch.html

The crochet woven stitch would make a good substitute though.

Edited by magiccrochetfan
  • Like 1

Thanks, Kathy!  I don't knit and didn't even consider that it might be knitted, since it looks similar to the crochet woven stitch.  This is twice today that you've saved my answer!  :D

Ditto that it's knitted seed stitch, but the crochet woven stitch is also called seed stitch by some (just to be confusing).  

Bonus is that it's really easy to do (and quicker than knitting it, in case you want to make it by Christmas!).

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I literally started crocheting yesterday! I made my first baby blanket. It turned out wonderful and I had so much fun doing it I wanted oa make my husband a scarf like mine. So it is a little confusing with all the different names and oh my gosh no way would I have ever known it was knitted :-0 thank you ladies. I've seen the woven crochet stitch but it never looked exactly the same so I kept looking. Lol guess I know why now :) I am going to try it anyway.

Wow, I'm impressed!  

Make the scarf with a little bigger hook than the yarn label suggests, and the fabric will be nice and drapey, more like the knitted sample.

RoseRed, on 20 Dec 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

You can get a similar look with tunisian, too.

Oh- that would be pretty in Tunisian. What stitch did you have in mind for comparison? Curious minds want to know!

Tunisian has knit and purl stitches - the 'real' knit version is just alternating knits and purls (purls over knits, knits over purls).  

Edit, I just tried a swatch (Tunisian), and it didn't look the same.  Tunisian knits look like knit stitches, I think the purls aren't quite equivalent to the knit version (it's the purls that make the bumps).

Tutorial on Tunisian seed stitch, left and right handed--this does not use a purl, it uses knit and reverse stitches (doesn't quite match the real knit seed stitch either):

http://www.theyarnbox.com/tunisian-crochet-seed-stitch/

New Stitch A Day - link to all Tunisian stitches.  They use a simple stitch instead of a purl (also doesn't look quite right)...but look at the stitch pattern at the bottom left, 'Ocean Stitch' but it's sort of a similar alternating bumpy look as seed stitch

http://newstitchaday.com/crochet-stitchionary/tunisian-crochet/

Edited by Granny Square

Whoa! that Ocean Stitch is detailed. I think I'll give it a try after the holidays. It looks interesting.

I've done many different Tunisian stitches and I agree that all I can think of do not quite look like their knit counterparts. Maybe with a little fiddling around. But, like I said, after the hustle and bustle. 3 more bulky cowls to make by Christmas Eve. Hope I make it. Thank you for the comparisons. :)

Merry Holidays to You

Granny Square, on 21 Dec 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

Happy holidays to you as well!  Wow, 3 projects in 3 days, good luck! :hook

Thank you Granny Square!

1st of the 3 scarves is half done. Love the Lion Brand-Hometown USA. Chunky, but, oh so soft and much easier to use than I thought- Just whipping right through it. :D 

• Like 1