Color Work Dishcloths (pic heavy)

redrosesdz

I've mentioned this a few times on my posts and I'm going to do it again!  LOL  2015 has been my year for learning as much about crochet techniques, stitches, fibers, hooks, etc. that I could.  I'm still not done with my list of things I want to try, but here's my latest.

My neighbor asked for dishcloths.  I wanted to learn color work beyond changing colors at the end of a row/round.  So, I combined them and made the following dishcloths.  (The last set is for a Christmas Exchange Party at a yarn group.)  All were done as one square, rather than as piece work.  All are completely reversible.  They are patterns from Reversible Color Crochet

I want to eventually make a graphghan, but I'm not very good at the technique.  There are 8 more teaching patterns in the book, so maybe it'll get easier after I do those.  I need to do a LOT more practicing.  The good news is that my weaving in ends has gotten a lot better!  LOL

post-57407-0-87018400-1450132737_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-16523500-1450132762_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-86385800-1450132794_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-14641300-1450132814_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-99119100-1450132839_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-68764300-1450132903_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-41278100-1450132924_thumb.jpg  post-57407-0-75815800-1450132948_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone!  I knew that doing color work was difficult and time consuming, but I had no idea how much.  I just did these small items and each one took a couple of days.  Usually a dishcloth takes an hour or so.  I have a ton of respect for those that complete graphghans and other color work projects. 

To Tampa Doll: Hats off to you for doing the Crochetville logo EVERY month on your bags plus getting all the other things you do done.  I know you've been doing the same logo for a long time, which makes it go faster.  (You could probably do it in your sleep now.  LOL)  But, it's still a difficult task.  Kudos to you!!!

Those are so impressive!!  I love the colors you chose and the geometric designs are so attractive...love everything about them!

My hat is off to you for mastering the technique.  i checked out the book from the library and it looked quite daunting to me.  

Thank you, Kathy!  I'm a long way off from mastering the technique, though.  They came out, because I don't count the number of times that I had to start over and frog multiple rows for each one.  I'll consider myself skilled at it when I can do a complete square without frogging and a ton of frustration.  I am happy that crocheting comes fairly easily to me, unlike other types of arts and crafts.  However, learning this technique was a struggle.  I think it's a struggle worth learning, though.  It's going to be invaluable in my crochet tool chest of knowledge.  You're such a skilled crocheter that I'm surprised the book looked daunting to you.  Check it out again and give the first 3 squares a try.  They're all about vertical lines.  I'm willing to bet you'd pick it up easier than I did.

Thanks, Real Deal!  You're right!  Patience and determination are required.  I still think about that guy that did the entire Mario World in crochet.  I'm even more amazed at his work now.  Laurinda Reddig, who wrote the book, did an even more amazing vest.

Thank you, Kathy!  I'm a long way off from mastering the technique, though.  They came out, because I don't count the number of times that I had to start over and frog multiple rows for each one.  I'll consider myself skilled at it when I can do a complete square without frogging and a ton of frustration.  I am happy that crocheting comes fairly easily to me, unlike other types of arts and crafts.  However, learning this technique was a struggle.  I think it's a struggle worth learning, though.  It's going to be invaluable in my crochet tool chest of knowledge.  You're such a skilled crocheter that I'm surprised the book looked daunting to you.  Check it out again and give the first 3 squares a try.  They're all about vertical lines.  I'm willing to bet you'd pick it up easier than I did.

Thanks, Real Deal!  You're right!  Patience and determination are required.  I still think about that guy that did the entire Mario World in crochet.  I'm even more amazed at his work now.  Laurinda Reddig, who wrote the book, did an even more amazing vest.

Hello Redroses, I like those dishcloths they came out really nice:).

That reminds me of that struggle I went last summer making that 10 Piece Set for my daughter dining room. I am talking about those 2 big pieces there. I never done a graft work before. To tell you the truth when I agree to make that, I did not even consider there would be a problem with that. I said to my self: What is the difference? horizontal or vertical?, I can crochet that, no problem! LOL. No problem right!. My biggest problem was constantly untangling those different colors of yarns. That big size of that it did not helped much and she wanted 2 of them:(. They were about 10"x12,5" each Hot Pad. Those Pot Holders were much smaller, that went a lot faster.

After I was done with that I told her that I am NOT doing that kind of work anymore!.

Here is the link to that 10pc Set that I made for her:

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155291-10-pcs-set-hot-mats-pot-holders-coasters/

Happy Holidays to Everyone! :)

Krys

HI Krys!  I remember that set.  It's beautiful!  You did an amazing job!  I had just started doing the color work when you posted in September.  Now I can really appreciate all the effort it took you to make that set.  :)

I agree with you that one of the hardest things is keep the yarn untangled.  I used multiple mesh laundry bags to keep each skein separate and yarn bobbins when I needed yarn from one of the skeins.  The book I used gave a hint on how to keep them untangled.  Every time I changed color, I untangled those 2 colors.  At the end of each row, I turned it counter-clockwise and set it down.  Then it was a matter of starting at the far end and moving each skein to the beginning.  Turning counter-clockwise kept them from being tangled after the turn.  It was time-consuming moving the yarn after each color change and turn, but it sure beat having them get too tangled to work.

HI Krys!  I remember that set.  It's beautiful!  You did an amazing job!  I had just started doing the color work when you posted in September.  Now I can really appreciate all the effort it took you to make that set.  :)

I agree with you that one of the hardest things is keep the yarn untangled.  I used multiple mesh laundry bags to keep each skein separate and yarn bobbins when I needed yarn from one of the skeins.  The book I used gave a hint on how to keep them untangled.  Every time I changed color, I untangled those 2 colors.  At the end of each row, I turned it counter-clockwise and set it down.  Then it was a matter of starting at the far end and moving each skein to the beginning.  Turning counter-clockwise kept them from being tangled after the turn.  It was time-consuming moving the yarn after each color change and turn, but it sure beat having them get too tangled to work.

THANKS for a very nice compliment!:)

Krys

• 1 month later...

Archived