What the heck is "h 3?"

Adualataiel

Question

I am trying to follow this pattern and could only assume it meant hdc three times, but that doesn't seem to work, especially when it refers to doing something in the h3 lp. I may have assumed it was a typo for ch 3, but it repeats a few times. Any insights would be appreciated. Linking the pattern below.

http://www.bhg.com/christmas/cards/crochet-a-snowflake-gift-topper/

It's the first one, row 4.

17 answers to this question

yes you are right about that part my mistake as I meant to quote this part  >>.     in next ch-3 lp work dc, ch 3, and 2 dc;

where it says work dc should be 2 dc 

Haha yeah, actually when I got to that part later, I thought, "I bet this is the part they were talking about." I tried it with the one dc and it was all lopsided looking, so added a dc.

But now it's done! It's pretty, but phew, what a time suck trying to understand all the mis-printed directions!

Please post a pic. We'd love to see it!

Sure! I didn't starch it and added a loop up top for convenience. It came out way bigger than I thought, but I didn't use the yarn or hook size suggested, so no huge surprise. I might try making the other ones on the site and string them together in a garland... Just to see how frustratingly mistyped the other patterns are! :)

Also for some reason it is attaching my image upside down. Not sure how to fix that. Also it isn't lopsided, it has a curve in the bottom which looks like the top. :P

post-76298-0-48260900-1449636834_thumb.jpeg

Haha yeah, actually when I got to that part later, I thought, "I bet this is the part they were talking about." I tried it with the one dc and it was all lopsided looking, so added a dc.

But now it's done! It's pretty, but phew, what a time suck trying to understand all the mis-printed directions!

Please post a pic.  We'd love to see it!

I think the first ch 3 takes place of one dc.

yes you are right about that part my mistake as I meant to quote this part  >>.     in next ch-3 lp work dc, ch 3, and 2 dc;

where it says work dc should be 2 dc 

I notice at one place it says >>>ch 3, in same lp work dc, h 3, and 2 dc;<<<<<<I'm  wondering if it should be 2 dc first like the rest of them.

I think so to.  What's odd, they have ch x in other rounds, but messed up round 4.

Also odd is that there is 1 photo, and 3 patterns....

(edit) I thought that pattern looked familiar, I'd printed it out several years ago.  And I must have made the snowflake, because I penciled in the missing "c"s and also the missing "s" in "sl t" shortly after the first asterisk (should be "slst").

And I never noticed (or don't recall noticing) there were 3 patterns.  Hmm, might be interesting to work them up and see what they look like!

Archived