jimbo

On the hooks of a dilemma

I'm guessing most folks here are also on "Facebook".  My wife is, and spends a LOT of time there checking on the latest news of old classmates, family, etc.  Not a bad thing but whooee does it eat up time!  So here's the thing.  I've considered joining but from the crochet side, due to my hook making business.  Thing is, I'm slowing down with the hook auctions (health and such) and because of that, I'm gradually loosing customer awareness.  So the question is, do you use Facebook for  your crochet business and if so, are you able to keep it pretty much crochet related?  Do you think Facebook would help?  I've NO clue about how Facebook works other than you can collect "friends" and see each other's posts.  So what do you think would be best to kind of keep a Facebook account crochet related (and avoid or minimize such time burning socializing with folks who have other interests)?

Nah, Etsy would be starting over, since I use my blog for hook sales and such.  I'm a member at Ravelry but announcements of hook auctions are not smiled upon in most groups.  I think others use Facebook to announce their new products and the like, right?  I'd keep my blog and do sales there but maybe use Facebook to let folks know when something's up for sale.  Eh?

I'm not a Facebook user so can't comment.

How often do you do auctions, or how often would you like to slow it down to?  Quarterly maybe?  I wonder if you could take out a Ravelry ad?  Not sure how much that would cost; whether you can take a short term ad whenever you had enough for an auction, or a long term ad that says 'watch Jimbo's back porch for auctions' and specify a time interval (or not)....

I think FB may be a good idea for you but the hard part would be to get enough people to know that you are on there and to "like" your page so that they can follow or get the announcements when a hook goes up for bid. 

Yup.  I have over 500 followers in my blog but I'm not sure how many are suscribers (don't know squat about blogger either.... sheesh what a dolt, eh?).  I think I could invite folks to "friend" me in my blog if thats what you do.  What about here?  Would that be an ok thing to invite folks here or is that the way it's done?  oooooh my ignance overwhelms me

Hi jimbo!!

I think Facebook would be great for you!! I'm just now getting back into Crochet so I haven't promoted alot on there but for example: a few months ago I decided after 2 years I just wanted to MAKE something and I wanted to crochet! So I made a chicken potholder from youtube.. no big deal and not thinking much about it I just snapped a pic, posted and said Look what I made today.... I got I don't know how many likes and then I got requests and wound up with 12 orders for chicken potholders....

The main thing is start on FB today because you learn as you go.. just keep focused on the reason WHY you are on there and try to keep your posts centered to that. although you need from time to time keep it a little personal so it doesnt appear you are "just another sales guy" if you know what I mean.. and if you start putting your FB for them to "like" -that's advertising for you.. You will find many of your followers are Facebookers.... Try it! If you don't like it in 3 to 6 months just delete your account.

P.S. and no, I am not being paid by Facebook or own any stock in it... LOL!!   I wish I did!!

Facebook has its cons, but used right can be a great asset.

Edited by hershey038
  • Like 1

Ah Michelle! That's almost got me over the edge, you smooth talker you!  THANKS!

• Like 1

I think Facebook is a great idea! I'm housebound and retired, and spend quite a bit of time on there. I belong to a few crochet groups, and would love to see you there! I think you would do well, and it's easy to get started! Good luck!

You could also "pin" a picture of your hooks on Pinterest. 

I've pinned the bejeebers out of my hooks on Pinterest, although I'll admit to being a Pintrest dummy.  Not sure how to link the pictures back to the blog.  Ideas?

Bytheway..

I've the 2015 Crimmis Hook to give away, made a post here and only have 9 entries.  Good odds, I'd say.  

I jusrt pinned "Jimbo's Front Porch" on my crochet miscellaneous board.  I hope that helps.