redrosesdz

Seeking A Way To Get A Crochet Hook Case Made

A while back I crocheted a hook case from a wonderful free pattern.  It's worked great for my aluminum hooks.  However, my mom got me my Christmas present early this year.  I'm now the proud owner of a large set of Clover Amour hooks, which have the ergonomic handles.  Unfortunately when I tried to slide them into my hook case, the handle sticks to the yarn and they won't slide in the slots.

So, I went on the hunt for a fabric crochet hook case.  I've looked at 50+ different cases, both online and in stores.  There's always something I don't like or won't work or would wear out.  I have a design in mind.  My problem is that I don't sew.  I don't even own a sewing machine.  I do clothing repairs by hand.

I'm thinking about contacting a local tailor.  I'm afraid they're either going to look at me like I'm nuts or charge me an arm and a leg.  

Anybody have any suggestions on how to go about finding someone that would sew me a hook case  based on a description? 

Have you tried contacting any of the Ebay sellers or Etsy sellers that have them?  They may do it for you.  I know I wanted a bag bigger on one of the Ebay stores and the woman made it to my specifications.  Couldn't hurt to ask!

• Like 1

redrosesdz--I sent you a private message.

• Like 1

You might try looking for double pointed knitting needle cases (DPN)s.  DPNs are typically sold in sets of 4-5 needles, so need a space 5 needles wide.  Like this for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanwood-Needlecraft-Knitting-Needle-Holder/dp/B001IZHNU6/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1449271866&sr=1-1&keywords=dpn+needle+case

Thing is, the slots are probably graduated widths and some of the slots intended for smaller needles might not be usable for the ergonomic hook handles.  (but you could stick regular hooks in the small end...)

If you are comfortable with a little simple hand sewing, you could make something similar with a fraction of a yard of fleece fabric.  It doesn't require hemming the edging, you could just fold over 1 edge part way, blanket stitch the left and right edge to close up the pocket, then make running stitches the right distance apart to hold the hooks.  Tie up the roll with some grosgrain ribbon, ribbon is usually on sale this time of year too.

It might be a little grabby, but not as much as a crocheted case maybe?

Edited by Granny Square

Thanks everyone!

Granny Square, I appreciate the suggestion, but I've seen quite a few roll-up style cases.  It's not what I want.  I thought about trying to hand sew the style that I want, but I'd still be working on it next Christmas!  I'm really slow when it comes to hand sewing, although whip stitching has become quicker since I started crocheting. 

I asked my sister if she'd do it, since she quilts and does all of her piece work by machine.  She said that I needed someone experienced in making cases to get the right fabric and batting thickness.  So, I'm taking her advice and am not going to try to do it by hand.

(Avon Lady:  I sent you a message back!  THANK YOU!!!)

redrosesdz, on 04 Dec 2015 - 5:22 PM, said:redrosesdz, on 04 Dec 2015 - 5:22 PM, said:

Thanks everyone!

Granny Square, I appreciate the suggestion, but I've seen quite a few roll-up style cases.  It's not what I want.  I thought about trying to hand sew the style that I want, but I'd still be working on it next Christmas!  I'm really slow when it comes to hand sewing, although whip stitching has become quicker since I started crocheting. 

I asked my sister if she'd do it, since she quilts and does all of her piece work by machine.  She said that I needed someone experienced in making cases to get the right fabric and batting thickness.  So, I'm taking her advice and am not going to try to do it by hand.

(Avon Lady:  I sent you a message back!  THANK YOU!!!)

Hmmm...I had to think about this one for a little bit. Do you per chance have a link of something similar?

How about a Quilters Fabric Shop? Surely someone there or even the owner/mngr would know someone that would be able to make you what you seek. As long as you have a drawing and dimensions.

Edited by ReniC

Reni, that's a great idea! 

I'm about an hour from Lancaster, PA, which is the heart of Amish country.  There are so many quilt and fabric shops there that I couldn't even begin to count them!  I got a lead from Etsy and from Avon Lady.  If that doesn't pan out, I'll take a drive to Lancaster.  This is one of their busiest seasons, but by January they probably slow down on orders.  (I might go anyway in January, since I love browsing through their gorgeous quilts!)

A few years ago I cross-stitched a lap quilt for my mom.  I decided to faux quilt a backing to hide all those pesky threads.  The fabric I found online was of course discontinued.  However, there was one fabric shop in Lancaster that had it.  My car broke down on my way there.  By the time I got it fixed, it was closing time for the fabric shop.  I called and they said they'd stick around for me.  I got lost, because it was a farm out in the boonies.  I finally found it a half-hour past closing time.  They had waited for me!  On top of waiting, they were still so sweet.  I got the fabric and a very warm heart.  :)

Edited by redrosesdz

redrosesdz, on 05 Dec 2015 - 06:04 AM, said:redrosesdz, on 05 Dec 2015 - 06:04 AM, said:

Reni, that's a great idea! 

I'm about an hour from Lancaster, PA, which is the heart of Amish country.  There are so many quilt and fabric shops there that I couldn't even begin to count them!  I got a lead from Etsy and from Avon Lady.  If that doesn't pan out, I'll take a drive to Lancaster.  This is one of their busiest seasons, but by January they probably slow down on orders.  (I might go anyway in January, since I love browsing through their gorgeous quilts!)

A few years ago I cross-stitched a lap quilt for my mom.  I decided to faux quilt a backing to hide all those pesky threads.  The fabric I found online was of course discontinued.  However, there was one fabric shop in Lancaster that had it.  My car broke down on my way there.  By the time I got it fixed, it was closing time for the fabric shop.  I called and they said they'd stick around for me.  I got lost, because it was a farm out in the boonies.  I finally found it a half-hour past closing time.  They had waited for me!  On top of waiting, they were still so sweet.  I got the fabric and a very warm heart.  :)

What an adventure! I've always wanted to go there. I too am a quilt lover. I was going to make some small child size quilts with crochet borders for Christmas gifts but never got to them. Maybe after the holidays.

Regardless what you decide to do on your hook case, I wanna' see!  :)

Edited by ReniC
  • Like 1

Reni,

If you ever decide to make a trip to Lancaster, PA, please let me know.  I'd love to meet up with you and poke around Lancaster.  There's lots of hidden gems there that are off the tourist's path.  Besides fabrics and quilts, they have a lot of cool antique and kitchen gadget stores.  Hershey isn't too far away and it's another fun place.  They've got Chocolate World!

redrosesdz, on 05 Dec 2015 - 1:15 PM, said:

Reni,

If you ever decide to make a trip to Lancaster, PA, please let me know.  I'd love to meet up with you and poke around Lancaster.  There's lots of hidden gems there that are off the tourist's path.  Besides fabrics and quilts, they have a lot of cool antique and kitchen gadget stores.  Hershey isn't too far away and it's another fun place.  They've got Chocolate World!

Thanks redrosesdz! That wouild be so fun. Unfortunately, we don't travel much anymore due to the Hubster's health. We were going to try to make one more trip to Yellowstone this last summer but it didn't come to be. :(

• Like 1

You might try thinking "outside the box" a bit. I have a full set of the Clover Soft Touch hooks. In looking at different types of cases, I found that the external Harddrive cases at Walmart would hold the whole set like it was made for them. I don't know the size difference between the Amour's and the Soft Touch's, but look at things that are technically made for something else, but will do the job.

• Like 1

Update...

I had found someone at Etsy to make a case to my specifications.  After waiting for 6 weeks, she canceled my order, because she was getting too many customer orders to work on mine.  (As if I wasn't a customer!!)  So, I contacted someone else on Etsy.  She not only took my order, but completed it beautifully!  The pictures are gorgeous!! Unfortunately, she shipped it on Friday.  Then the storm hit.  The original delivery date was yesterday.  The tracking info hasn't changed since Friday.  Is this a conspiracy to keep me from getting a hook case?  (J/K)  Maybe tomorrow .... *sigh*

Wow! That's a lot of trouble for a crochet hook case! I sewed mine, it's a very simple case with a zipper in the middle. I love it! I'm now using a beauty travelling case to hold all the little bits and pieces that go with my crochet stuff, and I'm still waiting for a tin to come in for my needles and stitch markers...

Doesn't waiting suck?

• Like 1

Wow, that was uncalled for by the original Etsy seller, I've never used Etsy but I hope there is a way to give her a review to warn future customers on her poor service.  Yay on the new one being en route!

• Like 1

I got it in last night's mail! Yippee!  As soon as I get my camera out, I'll post some pics.  Thank you everyone for all of your moral support!  It was much appreciated.  :)

• Like 2

I wanna see!!!!

redrosesdz, on 28 Jan 2016 - 06:02 AM, said:

I got it in last night's mail! Yippee!  As soon as I get my camera out, I'll post some pics.  Thank you everyone for all of your moral support!  It was much appreciated.  :)