I love....Homespun?

2manythreads

Yes you heard me right! In my stash searching for yarns for making more Xmas gifts for the fam, had several Lion Brand HOMESPUN skeins and as I felt along the skeins I thought to myself, you know- this is a soft and warm material to do winter stuff with. So I went online to Lion Brand's "Pattern Finder" for inspiration and made a few things (GUYS SORRY I HAVE TO POST PICS LATER AS I'M HAVING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES) God willing I'll have couple of pics on this post later :)

Well- I've heard the most hated yarn to work with is Homespun. I LOVE it! I always find it at the thrift stores, tons of it unopened - hey more for me right? Everything I make is given away: family, friends, charity - nothing sold and I only keep my "mistakes" ha ha. So, the thrifting works out for my budget :)

I find that if you use a large enough hook, Homespun won't give you any grief. In fact, I find it easier to work with- because it is so fluffy, instead of looking for the hole, I can just feel where to put the stitch with my fingers- almost as if you were blind, you could practically crochet an easy project using this. I was watching a movie and working on a beret, and mindlessly stitching along without even having to really "look".

The projects with this yarn whip up really quick. It is a VERY warm, snuggly yarn. Why all the hate for Homespun?? In fact, when I was new to yarn arts that's about all the yarns I would find in the used goods stores, and had NO idea it was a "hated" yarn, until I started visiting all the craft forums and it was voted THE most hated yarn of all the yarns. Isn't that funny?

I have to make a few winter things for some nieces n nephews who ski and travel a lot to some very cold countries, so my sister told me to take a look at shopbop for some ideas on winter accessories and found this neat hat:

https://www.shopbop.com/pohawk-hat-mischa-lampert/vp/v=1/1572734791.htm?folderID=2534374302207430&fm=other-shopbysize-viewall&os=false&colorId=15724

What stitch is this?? Is it knitted :(  ? I am a noob... I could make this using fun fur novelty for the real fox, what do you think? Check out their other hats on their site too - under "Winter Accessories" you can get some great inspiration on what to make from their online shopping catalog. Funny, but I found the hats that appeared the most easy to make the most expensive, and the easy peasy regular ol' knits the cheapest.

If anyone can ID that stitch for that 600 dollar hat I would be thrilled- even if its knitted, I want to know if its something I could do, and use some of my fun fur stash (of which I have TONS)

cheers ~~

It's really hard to tell if it's knitted, but it probably is (most store-bought hats are).  And good grief, the price!  That's just nuts.

However, you could make something similar in crochet easily.  If you wanted to make it in homespun, the texture of the yarn is probably enough so that you could just use a plain stitch like sc.  It looks like very thick yarn was used in the original, and a huge hook; you might have to use 2 (or more?) strands of homespun to get the look.  

I'm not sure how the mohawk was made with the fake fur, but if you just wanted the fur pom-pom,  it's basically: cut a circle of fake fur about 7", baste around the edge of it, gather the edges a bit, stuff it, sew it shut.  

Here is a great tutorial site - I've linked to the menu page.  Look at 'making a hat', under 'working in the round' - it gives you a 'recipe' for making a generic 'beanie' hat for any head, any yarn.

Re: LB Homespun yarn, I personally dislike it because I had some quality control issues with the yarn for 1 project I made with it.  It's just 'roving' loosly contained with a flimsy sewing thread.  Several of the skeins I was using had wads of loose roving where the thread had broken, I lost a ton of yardage to that problem.  With the same dye lots, colors were completely different (was hard to tell when skeined up).  The sweater I made must have stretched a couple of FEET (seriously, the pockets ended up around the knees).  I would imagine, even if I was able to wear the sweater more than once, that it would have soon fallen apart if one of those flimsy little threads broke.  

edit--I just realized you mentioned using fun fur for the hat, do you mean the hat itself or just the pom-pom?  I'm thinking eyelash yarn...?You could make the pom-pom by following the tutorial page I linked above to crochet a circle, then stuff and sew like for the fabric.

Here are some free hat patterns made with bulky yarn, for ideas...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#availability=free&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best&weight=bulky%7Csuper-bulky&query=hat&craft=crochet

Yes GrannySquare using fun fur for the fake mohawk on that hat :) Oh and I didn't want to use Homespun to make THAT hat in the image, I was just mentioning how I like homespun, and went off on another topic. I should have posted the link to the hat and my question on the stitch in a different thread :)  I've seen that stitch before, but I am too new at this to recognize it.

The faux hawk embellishment would be a breeze to add on. I might if IF! I have time see if I can find that stitch online someplace- I like it ( I should not be even here on this site, time's a wastin', I am SO far behind on my xmas gift projects).

Thank you GSquare for your help!

Hmmmm...about the hat...(though I like Homespun too!)

If you take a fluffy, bulky yarn--Homespun Thick and Quick would do it--chain maybe, i dunno, eight inches, and work a row of (2hdc sk 1 ch), then turn and work 2 hdc between the hdcs below, would it look close enough to that, maybe tapered toward the top with sc instead? A two-hdc cluster stitch in the top of the cluster below might also work. You could try it out with any kind of yarn and see if you like the look. For that matter, you could use the piece of fake fur and crochet the first row right onto it, then sew on at the end.

It all depends what you use it for, how compatible it is and how easy it is to work with as a result.  I've used it for prayer shawls and some patterns are easier than others to find the stitches.  This past year I made doll carriers for my doll donation and it worked out well.  I'm planning on using it again for next years donation.

I have had color change issues.  I noticed it recently on a prayer shawl I was making and it is a bit frustrating to see.

I love that Pohawk hat and I too am not sure if it is knit or maybe even Loom Knit. You could easily make it with a #6 weight yarn and an appropriate hook size for that yarn by using a hdc for the bulkiness. Bernat and Paton's has some extra bulky that's pretty.  I really like that Deep Beanie Hat too. It's definitely something to explore.

Archived