Decorating the tree

Geez oh peets, all those Crocheted Christmas decorations I've given away and I completely forgot to keep any for my own tree.....sheesh.  Do you use homemade decorations or store bought for your tree?  And, how about lights......large, medium or tiny twinklers?

I usually have a combo of made and retail decorations.  I tried making crocheted garland but didn't much care for it.  I like the medium size LED lights so they show up a little better.

Barbara

I spent one year making nothing but snowflakes for my tree.  All the store bought ornaments are now in a box.  I kept out special ones.  Hallmarks Mary's Angels Violet (for Dh's Mother) and a clear glass one that say Spot (for our Dalmatian).  The rest either are made for me by friends here or C'ville, one's I made and ones that have sentimental value.  One is a heart made from my Mom's favorite dress (my sister made this), one my Mom made for me.  My tree is pre-lit, so I do not have to worry about the lights.  So I hope I answered your question.

post-105-0-88674400-1449081959_thumb.jpgpost-105-0-87992200-1449081966_thumb.jpgpost-105-0-74049600-1449081975_thumb.jpg

Mine is pre-lit too, so much easier!  Little lights, but a lot of them.

Most of my ornaments are hand made (no 2 alike), the purchased ones were either gifts or one-of-a kind ones that we've collected over the years.  I like my hodge-podge tree, each ornament reminds me of some event or someone :)

When I was little we had a silver tinsel tree with only 1 kind of red glass ball on it.  And one of those color light wheels.  It was pretty, but kind of cold.  Like this, but ours didn't rotate - that's neat!

Edit, for some reason I'm having trouble with the clicky link, let me try again.

About 25 years ago, my hubby and I used to decorate every room in the house (Yes, even the bathroom!  We had a small tree in there, being decorated by little elves--ladder and all!!)  But now, 25 years later, we're too doggone old and lazy  (mostly lazy!! :heehee ) to lug up all those boxes from the basement!  So we're down to one, no, two trees now.  Our main tree is Victorian, our second tree is Patriotic.

We have a mod podge of handmade ornaments and special store bought ornaments that we decorate with. We use garland and regular colored lights. I don't have pictures on my tablet, but when we decorate I will take one and post a picture. We also decorate a huge wreath that we hang on the wall. We have a lot of decorations but I didn't lug it all up from the basement this year. We just don't have enough space...

I inherited my Mom's tree and ornaments when she down sized. Some of the glass ornaments date back to my grandma. I also inherited what survived of the ones we made as kids. Last year we retired mom's tree as we were boxing up the decorations and bought a nice new one during clearance.

Our decorations are pretty eclectic. We have hand made ornaments made by kids and adults. My MIL makes beautiful pin and sequence ornaments for us every year that I often display off the tree so they get more attention. I also love my Hallmark themed ornaments DH finds for me every year.

Granny Square:

Wow!...the silver tree brings back so many memories. My mother always decorated our silver tree with all blue and the rotating flood lamp was blue and white. She also put up her decorations she brought from Europe and there are still a few left that go on my tree. If we did have a real tree, she always put angel hair on because it reminded her of the fog going through the forests in the Alps.

My tree will be (if I can get it finished) as from previous years, collections from my children, my mother grand children and things I've made. But in memory of my mother there will be all blue lights. Bring on the nostalgia!  

Our tree is also prelit. Most of our ornaments are handmade (crochet, made by the kids in school, etc) but we do have some store bought ones still, just because I've not made more handmade ones. We've got ones for each of the kids' from their first christmas, and a few other sentimental ones that are store bought. 

Mary Jo, all those snowflakes are exquisite and definitely make a beautiful and one of a kind tree.  I think that might be my Christmas project for next year.....making tons of snowflakes.  I stiffened the ones I make and give away with a white glue wash and add a bit of micro glitter in with the glue wash.   Do you stiffen your snowflakes or just block them?

This year Robert and I finally made the decision to purge the huge assortment of old ornaments that we haven't used in over 20 years.  It was hard getting rid of some that were long time family decorations but most were beyond resurrecting.  At our age there is just so much "de-cluttering" that needs to be done.  Robert doesn't care for the prelit trees "yet", but I'm working on that....lol.

Barbara

Archived