Woven Hearts

Becky Morgan

These are a flat variation on those little Danish heart baskets. It wouldn't take much to make a whole lot in a hurry. They take maybe two yards of two different colors, any yarn, hook to suit the yarn, gauge unimportant.

With Color #1: Ch 18.

DC in fourth ch from hook and in next five ch.

9 DC in next ch.

DC in each remaining chain to end. Fasten off, leaving a 6" tail. You should have a hairpin-shaped, two-legged piece with a round top.

Do the same thing with color #2.

Lay the pieces at right angles to each other and weave the legs. Tack down the ends with the tails you left. If you crochet them, it tends to leave odd-looking bumps, so this is one case where sewing looks better.

Use them as you see fit, just don't sell the pattern or claim it's yours.

Ok. I was unsure about whether the two pieces were intertwined and the white ends sewn together and the red ends sewn together. Or if red is sewn to the edge of the white and the white to the edge of the red. If that makes any sense!

I think I know what you mean. White to red, red to white. You're just tacking the ends down, so even glue would do it. I tried leaving a tail and crocheting across, but like I said, it looked lumpy.

Got ya---thanks! I definitely want to try some of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Very pretty. They would look lovely hanging on a small cut tree branch, spray painted white and made into a centerpiece for Valentine's Day.

Archived