My first ever Amigurumi

Veruzki

So, here it is. I have only been crocheting for a few months, so please be gentle with me. I am making it as a Xmas present for a friend's newborn baby girl. I modified the pattern just a tad, mostly just by changing the hook size so that it would increase the size. I wanted a bear as big as her. I still need to finish some of the fine details, like adding a skirt, some cute little flowers, maybe some rosy cheeks....this is where you come in, friwnds. I have a few questions. I have been reading that adding rosy cheeks is relatively easy, just some chalk pastels or make up will do the trick. Considering that this is for a baby I was hoping to achieve the effect with something non toxic.. I was thinking maybe Crayolas? Would that work? Has anyone tried?

Also, for the skirt....I was thinking two options. One is to make a long rectangular piece and then attach it at the waist and pleat it as to give it a little bit of flare. The other one is to crochet directly from the waist and add stitches as I go to increase the skirt size and add more flare.

Are those options valid? Can anyone suggest a different way to go about it? (You get extra brownie points if you direct me to a pattern)

Thanks!

Veronica

post-76447-0-56512100-1448685711_thumb.jpg

That is very true. I will also try crocheting from the waist and see how it goes.

Would you add anything else to her? I am open to every suggestion that you may have. Does it look like a cheap present to you? I decided this year that I would make presents for all the kids, so one of them is getting a beautiful dinosaur hat, another one will get a pirate one and the older one will get a Princess Anna hat and cape. I hope they don't think I am cheap :(

That bear is cute! :). You did a great job  :clap

When it comes to a rosy cheeks I always use acrylic paint mix with a little water and a "pouncing" brush. That way those rosy cheeks stay permanent. BUT, considering that brown color of yarn here I just do not think that would come out very rosy. It probably would not even look close to rosy color. On a light color yarn it would work.

I did that on many of my Amigurumi, here is a sample of a rosy cheeks I did. They are actually more red than a pink here LOL  After all pink on pink would not show up very well. 

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/154223-my-easter-ducks-amigurumi/

I do think that crocheting that skirt from the waist down it is a better idea. Here is an advice for your future project to make it easier to add something like a skirt. That place-row where the skirt will start, crochet that only in back loops. You will have those free front loops to start crocheting that skirt from. That way you will have a less bulk in that "starting" place.  But since that was not done you can always stitch that skirt around to that bear. I am sure it will look great! :).

Happy crocheting:)

Krys

The bear is very cute. I knew it was a girl right away by the bow on her head.

I wouldn't add too much more to the toy besides a skirt. Too much can take away from the cuteness.

About the only other item I would add are the baby's initials or first name embroidered on the bear's behind, under the skirt. 

Then, a little removable, printed out card saying "Made With Love" or "Especially For (baby's name)" and with laundry instructions, tied to the bear's wrist.

Sure is a sweet little bear.

Your bear is absolutely adorable!  The skirt sounds good!  It sounds like you're going to be very busy in December!!  Good luck!  Happy crocheting!

• 1 month later...

Your bear turned out very cute. I just made a Mother Bear and added this skirt to the waist (see photo below). I just single crocheted through the waistline to attach and then worked this doll pattern from row 8. I crocheted from the waist down with the bear upside down as I worked the pattern. I am not sure how wide your bear is so you may need to add a few more shells but it does flare out and you can make it longer by just repeating row 11.

post-10977-0-35901900-1453657846_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am guessing you have already given the bear, but it is very cute, and I would suggest that you crochet very small flat pink circles to add to the cheeks. That way there is no worry over allergens/toxins. :)

Archived