Bernat Super Value vs. Big Twist Collection Value Yarn

PattiJacks

Question

Oh!  Then definitely forget my boucle suggestion. 

Do you live close to Michael's, JoAnn's, AC Moore and/or Hobby Lobby?  I'm lucky enough to live within a mile of 3 of those.  The only times I buy their yarn when it's on sale is when they have a coupon discount for sale items or when I have a $10 reward card from AC Moore.  Usually I buy the regular priced yarn using their 50-60% off one item coupons.  They all take the other's one item coupons and do price matching.  JoAnn's allows coupon stacking and AC Moore is in the process of considering that policy, too.  Also, they all have an extra discount if you're one of their VIPs (teacher, military, senior, etc.)  It doesn't matter if one or more of those 4 aren't in your area, because it's a corporate policy.

Here's my game plan...

1. Check all 4 websites to find the best discount and sales for that day.

2. Go to AC Moore, if the yarn isn't on sale, to get the rewards.  Go to JoAnn's, then Michaels, if AC Moore doesn't have what I want or it's on sale there.

3. Find the lot number with the most skeins. 

4. Buy 1 (or more, if I'm able to stack coupons) and re-stack the bin with the lot number I'm buying in the back/bottom.

5. Go back each day I'm already out and continue to buy that lot number, until I have what I need.

Yes, I've had it happen where the lot number I want is sold before I can get it all, but that's only happened once.  Usually the plan works.  If I do have to buy from a different lot number, I try to use that different lot number in the middle.  That way if it's slightly off color, it looks like I planned it that way.  To me it's worth the extra effort to get the entire project at 50-60% off the regular price.  Yarn is just too darn expensive!

Go, Bucks!  :D

I guess it all depends on what you like.  I have made several afghans using Caron One Pounders mixed with Hobby Lobby ILTY, Bernat, and what ever the Michael's brand is for color choice afghans and DH and I both love them.  I've been using a fall themed one all week as the temps have dropped.  I find they wash well, are warm, and are comfy.  It's all in what you like.  If you or the person you are making the afghan for are particularly sensitive to yarn, then you may have to find a softer yarn.

If you want to turn cheap acrylic into something softer and a decent drape, try using a loose pattern with a bigger hook. 

If you're not picky about seeing stitch definition and just want soft and cozy, try JoAnn's or AC Moore's variegated boucle in the huge size.  (AC Moore's Stitch Studio calls theirs "bourdeaux.")  Pros: the bumpy yarn is cheap and very soft.  It works up like a cloud.  Cons: it's almost impossible to see the stitches and frogging isn't easy.

Yes, I've red the Bernat Super Value is softer than Red Heart's Super Saver.  I started an afghan several years ago using the RHSS and never finished it whereas I seem to finish those I start with Caron Simply Soft and I Love This Yarn.  I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative.  Lol.

I haven't had the chance to try Joann's new yarn, but I like Bernat's Super Saver when I can find it on sale.  I find it less coarse than Red Heart.  I also use the Caron Pounders for a variety of projects and have never had a problem with it either.  I find the Pounders have limited color selection.

As for Red Heart, they make the best scrubbies.  I found a free pattern on Ravelry and I've found they clean my grills indoor and out better than anything I've bought commercially.

I make lots of doll clothes and ami's so I use lots of acrylic, it's cheap and makes my donations affordable.  Red Heart does have some colors I can't always find in the other brands and it's often on sale.  When I haven't used it in a while I find it a little more abrasive on my hands, but I get over it. 

I haven't compared them, but the general rule of them (especially for acrylics) is that the tighter the twist in the ply, the stiffer the yarn will be.  The looser the twist, the softer the yarn.  Also, looser means more elasticity and better drape. 

RHSS has a pretty tight twist.  I haven't tried the other two.  I have tried Caron's super saver and it's an even tighter twist than RHSS.  I like Caron for small baskets, totes and other things that need some rigidity and no elasticity.  I haven't found a good use for RHSS, although I've seen others swear by it as their go-to cheap yarn.

Archived