Bernat Super Value vs. Big Twist Collection Value Yarn

PattiJacks

Question

Last week I was allowed to use a 40% off one item (Joann coupon) with 20% off total purchase (Joann coupon).  I'm making a "sampler pack" for my mother for Christmas.  I think she's only used the Super Saver yarn and she found an owl pattern she's worked from multiple times.  She probably has 30 owls sitting around the house.  So far, I've bought her a crochet pattern book (hats and scarves), a styrofoam head, two skeins of I Love This Yarn with the metallic strand and two skeins of Effervescence from Hobby Lobby.  I plan to get her a couple skeins of Red Heart Soft, a couple of Wool Ease, and a couple skeins of bulky or super bulky so she can try some other yarns.  I used the 40% off one item for the styrofoam head.

Anyway, I'll have to remember the Michael's and Hobby Lobby coupons at Joann.  Is this for paper only coupons or can you use the phone coupons from RetailMeNot?

Oh!  Then definitely forget my boucle suggestion. 

Do you live close to Michael's, JoAnn's, AC Moore and/or Hobby Lobby?  I'm lucky enough to live within a mile of 3 of those.  The only times I buy their yarn when it's on sale is when they have a coupon discount for sale items or when I have a $10 reward card from AC Moore.  Usually I buy the regular priced yarn using their 50-60% off one item coupons.  They all take the other's one item coupons and do price matching.  JoAnn's allows coupon stacking and AC Moore is in the process of considering that policy, too.  Also, they all have an extra discount if you're one of their VIPs (teacher, military, senior, etc.)  It doesn't matter if one or more of those 4 aren't in your area, because it's a corporate policy.

Here's my game plan...

1. Check all 4 websites to find the best discount and sales for that day.

2. Go to AC Moore, if the yarn isn't on sale, to get the rewards.  Go to JoAnn's, then Michaels, if AC Moore doesn't have what I want or it's on sale there.

3. Find the lot number with the most skeins. 

4. Buy 1 (or more, if I'm able to stack coupons) and re-stack the bin with the lot number I'm buying in the back/bottom.

5. Go back each day I'm already out and continue to buy that lot number, until I have what I need.

Yes, I've had it happen where the lot number I want is sold before I can get it all, but that's only happened once.  Usually the plan works.  If I do have to buy from a different lot number, I try to use that different lot number in the middle.  That way if it's slightly off color, it looks like I planned it that way.  To me it's worth the extra effort to get the entire project at 50-60% off the regular price.  Yarn is just too darn expensive!

Go, Bucks!  :D

What is coupon stacking?

Someone tried to do it at a JoAnn's in front of me this past week and they got turned down, even the manager said no.  I'm not sure it works everywhere.  They did accept the competing coupon from Michaels, but not multiple coupons as the person attempted to use. 

In the sentence above the one containing the phrase 'coupon stacking', she defines it - one store will take another store's coupons (but, I didn't think Michaels did this, or at least my local one doesn't).

edit - The only 'stacking' I can use is at Joanns, they accept their own coupon (of course) and I can also apply my hubby's 10% military discount (poor guy gets dragged along yarn shopping).  I don't have the other stores nearby to test their stacking.

What is coupon stacking?

Coupon stacking is when you use multiple coupons.  JoAnn's allows coupon stacking as long as it is 1 coupon per competitor and they are all for % off one regular priced item.  So you can use JoAnn's, Michaels, Hobby Lobby and AC Moore and get 4 items.

Baily: That is strange.  I was under the impression that JoAnns are all corporate stores, rather than franchises.  If the one near you is a corporately owned store, then ask a manager to contact corporate about the policy.  They are going against the corporate policy.  If it's a franchise, then I'm not sure which policies they can avoid and still keep their license.

Michaels doesn't do coupon stacking.  AC Moore doesn't either, but they are looking into the policy and may change to allow it.  I don't know about Hobby Lobby's policy.  They all take the other's coupons for 1 item.  So, just print the highest discount and take it to the store of your choice.

ETA:  Hi GS!  :waving

As I said I've never tried it.  There was a little commotion with the person in front of me who was trying to use a Michael's and a Joann's coupon and they told her she could use one or the other.  The manager also agreed.  There are a couple of JoAnn's in the area and I've never seen them accept more than one coupon per sale.  Thankfully, DH usually is there so I can have him stand in line if I have more than one item I want discounted.  However, I can't use a 20% total sale with a 40% coupon with DH's help.  They just don't seem to do it. 

I've no idea where the policy is written that you'd show them.

You can use your phone to show them the coupon, as long as it has the bar code.  I usually just go to the 4 websites before I leave home.

From the JoAnn FAQ page:

"Q: How many coupons can be used during a store visit?

A: There are instances when Jo-Ann offers customers more than one (1) coupon that is valid during the same time period. The register system was designed to adhere to these requirements, so if the register accepts the use of two (2) or more coupons, it is likely that the coupons comply with these requirements. Customers generally may use more than one (1) coupon in a transaction with the following exceptions:

• They cannot use two (2) identical coupons (i.e., coupons with the same barcode number) in one (1) transaction.
  • They cannot use two (2) or more transaction-level discounts in one (1) transaction.
  • They cannot apply two (2) coupons or discounts to the same item."

I recently bought three skeins of RHSS Wildflowers from Walmart.com.  When I opened the package I found the skeins to be very soft.  I love the color choices of RHSS,  but in recent years the yarn has not been very soft.  I don't know what they are doing different now with making the RHSS yarn but this (No its not Red Heart Soft) is soft like it was years ago.  Since I loved all of the colors in the RHSS Wildflowers I have ordered 6 more skeins  (this time from Joann.com) which should be delivered today.  I hope to find they are just as soft as the first three.  I would suggest going to a store that carries RHSS yarn and "petting" the yarn to see how soft it feels.

Thanks tnkycrochetnut!  I'll definetly do that!  For now, I must have 30 skeins of Big Twist in OSU and other colors for Christmas afghans.  I can't believe their sale!  $1.91 for a huge skein!  It took me less than nine skeins to finish my afghan.  I do need an alternative for my daughter's afghan, though, because there's no teal in their color selection.  Maybe I'll have to feel the Super Saver again.  I'm also giving some consideration to trying the Bernat through yarnspirations.

Anyway, just an update.  I'm finished except actually sewing the emblem onto the afghan.  And she does like it.

post-76381-0-67277400-1448757808_thumb.jpg

post-76381-0-64055400-1448757823_thumb.jpg

post-76381-0-63256500-1448757869_thumb.jpg

Love colors.......

Great job but I wanted to share something else w/ you for your hands......it's called Shea Moisture (that is the brand name)- African Black Soap Body Lotion this is the type as they have lots of different products.  http://www.sheamoisture.com/African-Black-Soap-Body-Lotion-_p_1191.html----it is very thick...they have a whole line of different products...

U can find it at most Walgreen's and from time to time they are on sale for by on get one 50 % off sale via Walgreen's..Walmart carries it as well too.....

DD and I have lots of hand issues and skin issues she is allergic to most lotions and has eczema and I psoriasis/allergic to lotions as well as super dry skin......I use it is greasy due to the oils and the shea but it clears the issues right up and lotion at night and http://www.cerave.com/ brands during the day or when I am crocheting for protection per my Dermatologist..Works wonders......!!!.

Just an update.  I appreciate all the responses!  And thank you Redrosesdz for the suggestion about the finger guard.  I'm definitely going to have to try that!  Anyway, I made a decision.  The Big Twist was very cost effective with the 20% off coupon from Joann, so I tried it.  I still like Red Heart Soft better, but, again, this is very cost effective and it wasn't nearly as rough on my hands as the Super Saver.  I also like to buy American Made whenever possible, but I also didn't want to invest $60 in an afghan that she may not like.  The white is lusher and softer than the red and the gray.  I'm hoping it will soften after a wash.  But I like the look of it.

post-76381-0-61525400-1448146055_thumb.jpg

post-76381-0-85934300-1448146071_thumb.jpg

Patti, I can empathize with yarn tearing up your hands.  I have very thin skin on my fingers.  I could only do the softest of yarns, like chenille, without my yarn guide finger getting bruised and sore.  I found some metallic yarn that I really wanted to use and without thinking about my skin, I bought it.  Needless to say that it didn't take long before it cut into my finger so bad that I couldn't crochet with any yarn.

So, I went looking for a finger guard.  There are quite a few of them for knitters, where the guard sits on the tip of your finger.  These are useless for crocheting.  So, I made my own.  I no longer have to fear any yarn!  Clover makes a finger guard and it's sold at JoAnn's.  I also bought some elastic slightly wider than the guard.  Sew/glue a piece of the elastic to fit your finger.  Pop the plastic piece out of the finger guard.  Glue the plastic piece on the elastic ring.

I tried doing a yarn ring at first.  Here's the pic of it .... http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/154189-yarn-guideguard-for-sore-finger.  However, the yarn stretched and kept moving.

I have to admit that I'm having a difficult time making up my mind.  Joann, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's are about a half hour away from me.  I stopped in Michael's last night and felt their Impeccable yarn and I didn't like it.  I have dry skin on top of psoriasis, so the the coarser yarns like RHSS tears up my fingers and I didn't see where the Impeccable worsted weight would be any better.  I got up this morning and added the skeins of the Big Twist line to my cart, but I'm thinking I'll just make a trip to Joann after work and hopefully the colors will be in stock so I can actually feel the yarn first.  I have excessively dry skin as well as psoriasis and the RHSS tears up my hands making whatever I'm working on a chore and I guess I'm afraid of investing the money in yarn that I won't feel compelled to use.  I was hoping to save a few bucks, but I guess it's pointless if you don't actually use the yarn.  My two favorites are Red Heart Soft and Wool Ease, although I'm knitting leg warmers for my granddaughter with Yarn Bee Effervesence right now and I have to admit that it's an absolute joy to work with.

The Big Twist yarn is very nice - it's soft - not quite as soft as Hobby Lobby's I Love This yarn but about like Bernat Super Saver - it's fairly thick too - definitely thicker than Simply Soft (but then what yarn isn't - they made that yarn SO thin) - I would say the Bernat and the Big Twist are interchangeable.

Now I'm referring to the one that sells for $3 and change - not the more expensive one.

I'm envious of y'all who have Hobby Lobby and/or AC Moore nearby, neither are in my state.  I've not tried their yarns, but I'd like to have the chance to check out more choices in person!

By the way, on the tangent of dye lots, I've seen this trick mentioned for knitting but haven't tried it yet (don't know if it works for crochet as well since the stitches are bigger):  when you get close to transitioning dye lots, alternate rows to 'blend' them.  Suggestion #4 here . 

Archived