What. Is. Happening?

Boosted612

Question

So I'm making 25 infinity scarves for someone. My problem is each scarf I make is a different size! I start each one off by counting 118 chains for the first row. The scarves aren't lopsided or anything funky but each one is different. Some short some long as you can see in the photo. What could I possibly be doing wrong for these results??

post-76352-0-95868700-1447386378_thumb.jpeg

2 answers to this question

I make mile-a-minute afghans, which are panels joined together. The hardest part of making a MAM is getting panels that are the same length.  I always have to do more than the pattern, because even though they're the same number of stitches, some will invariably be too long or too short.

I figured out that it is due to a couple of factors, but mostly tension.  I worked very hard and spent a LOT of hours practicing my tension and stitch length to get even stitches.  The longer the stitch, the more chance for variation.  No matter how even my stitches are, there is always some difference in length in some of my panels.  Mood effects tension the most.  I try to crochet when I'm most relaxed and not distracted, however the phone will ring, something happens in my surroundings, I get tired, etc.  Going to a yarn group impacts my stitches and I sometimes rip out what I've done there.  Another factor is that yarn is not the same throughout a skein, let alone multiple skeins.

There is good news, though!  Wet blocking fixes most differences. 

1. Soak the pieces in very warm, slightly soapy water for 20-30 minutes to relax the yarn.  (Note: you crochet tightly, so you may need to soak them a bit longer.  Also, get the water as hot as your hands can stand.)

2. Gently squeeze out excess water.  Do not wring.  Roll them in a towel to get out more water.

3. Pin them to a board or lay down towels and pin them to the towels & carpet.

4. Wait 3-4 days until they are completely dry.

If you really want the exact same size, try cutting out a piece of cardboard the length and width that you want.  Use it as your guide for pinning.

Archived