Pattern Help!

Chelsea Clarkson

Question

Hello,
I am currently working on a dog sweater.
The pattern looks fairly straight forward, however there are no pictures/diagrams included so it is quite tricky working out what each panel is supposed to ultimately look like.
I am struggling on the Tummy Panel. This appears to be triangular in shape but with flat ends (so no point). The smaller end starts at the neck of the animal and the wider end around the tummy.
I am not sure whether there is a mistake or mis print on this part of the pattern or whether I have done something very wrong as my stitch count is not the same as that that the pattern suggests. 

This is the Tummy Panel Pattern
Row 1
ch8, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in each rem ch across, turn (7hdc)
Row 2
Ch 2, hdc in each hdc across, turn.
Row 3
Rep row 2
Row 4
Ch2, hdc in 1st hdc, hdc in each hdc across to last hdc, 2 hdc in last hdc, turn. (8hdc)
Row 5
Rep row 4 (10 hdc)
Row 6-13
Rep row 5 (26 hdc at end of last row)
Row 14-29
Rep Row 2, at end of last row fasten off.

I followed this pattern, without really counting stitches or rows (as I was getting a bit distracted I accidentally kept increasing after row 13, no drama as I could pull them out and go from there).
However when I did count my stitches, I wasn't anywhere near 26 at row 13.
At row 13 I have 18 hdc.
My work looks even, but Its not big enough.
Should the pattern actually read on row 4 'Ch 2, 2hdc in 1st hdc, hdc in each hdc acorss to last hdc, 2 hdc in last hdc'
Or have I messed up somewhere?

My other confusion is that the first panel made works in the back loops only and clearly states this. However there is no mention of working in back loops on the other panels. I am not sure whether to just work in back loops on the other parts to keep the pattern looking the same throughout, or whether there might be a reason not to do this, hence why it doesnt say to...

Any advice much appreciated!!

Thanks

2 answers to this question

It's time to write the designer.  The pattern counts are wrong or are missing an increase. 

Row 4 increases by 1 stitch.  It goes from 7 stitches in row 3 to 8 in row 4.  If you repeat that for rows 5-13, you would have 8 + 9 increases, which is 17 stitches.  Since it's not big enough and row 5 says 10 stitches, I am guessing that it should have 2 increases, usually one at each end.  If you had 2 increases for rows 5-13, you would have 8 + 18 increases, which is 26 stitches.

The thing about hdc is that it is a weird stitch for counting.  Some patterns do not not count the turning chain as a stitch, just like the turning chain for an sc.  Some patterns count the turning chain, just like the turning chain for a dc.  I'm wondering if "hdc in 1st hdc" in row 4 means that the designer usually counts the hdc turning chain and skips the first one.

If you can't reach the designer, I'd go by the stitch counts.  You might need to adjust the ends on rows 5-13 until they look right to you and you get the same counts.

As far as the back loop only on the dog's back, it's probably a decorative decision.  When your dog is wearing the sweater, the  back is what shows the most.

Thanks very much!!
I think I will give it a go with 2 increases from row 5 - 13 and see if it works. I am not sure who the designer is, or where I got the pattern from (somewhere online, but it was a while ago). Hopefully making up to 26 stitches will work.

You are right about the counting with hdc!! Ive had a lot of confusion as to whether to count the turning chain or not. The pattern isnt very clear, but I think ive got it now (after a week of messy crocheting!).

Thanks very much for your help =)

Archived