Slip stich each row?

LoDoble

Question

Hi I am a newbie here. Besides my intro this is my first post so if my posting etiquette isn't as it should be please let me know! I am working on a hat and part of the pattern reads "Rnd 9-14: 1 dc in ea of the 76 sts. Sl st into the next st and remove marker." So, would I make a slip a stitch at the end of each row or just at the end of the 14th row? Thanks in advance for your help!

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Your question is in the right place, I hope we can answer it.

Is this a free pattern on the 'net that you could provide a link to?  This will help us give you a more precise answer, but just guessing based on typical hat construction: I suspect the hat is not made in a spiral, or at least for rounds 9-14.  Working in a non-spiral, you typically stitch completely around back to the first stitch, slip stitch into the top of the first stitch, chain up, and start the next round.  So, still making assumptions, that means the slip stitch as I just described happens at the end end of each round.

Welcome to Crochetville, LoDoble!

That's a poorly written pattern.  You could interpret it multiple ways.  However, when looking at the preceding rounds and the next rows, you can assume that the slip stitch is only at the end of round 14.  You're working in a spiral up to round 8, so continue in the spiral through round 14.  At the end of round 14, finish the spiral with a slip stitch to prepare for the rows, which start at 15.

Granny Square is right.  The difference between a spiral round and a non-spiral round is whether you continue going around and around (spiral) or whether you finish each round with a slip stitch and then chain up for the next round (non-spiral).  By the way, Granny Square is one of the best when it comes to advice on this forum!

Here's a tip for doing spirals.... instead of using a marker that you have to move, use a running stitch. 

1. Cut a length of contrasting yarn (light color, if you're working in dark colors and vice versa.)

2. Starting at round 2, lay the yarn under the first stitch of each round.  I stick the tail on the right side of round 2, so that I know each time I flip the yarn towards me, it's an odd round and vice versa.

3. When you're done, pull out the yarn.

The advantage is that the yarn makes it easy to count rounds and easy to not get lost on where the beginning of each round is.  By the way, because crochet stitches have a bias, the running stitch will slant to the right, if you're right-handed.  I keep a light and dark yarn in my crochet kit for doing spirals.

Ah, shucks, thanks Redrosesdz!  

This makes more sense now.  I shouldn't have made guesses without seeing the pattern.  I wonder why it tells you to remove the marker, instead of just moving it up a row like you did before.  You still need to count the rows, you are just not increasing.

I have a comment about the end of round 14.  It has you ending with a DC, then slip stitching into the next stitch.  The DC is a tall stitch, and it is an abrupt transition to stretch a slip stitch all the way down to the round below.  I would suggest, instead, that the last 3 stitches of round 14 be DC, HDC, SC, and then the slip stitch.  This will ramp down the stitch sizes and even things out better to prepare the base for the rows for the ear flap.  Alternately, make the last 5 stitches DC, EHDC,HDC, ESC, SC, then the slip stitch--this will make a longer but more gradual ramp down (this might be overkill, but I'd try both and see which you like better).

E=extended stitches, they are like the regular stitch except they have an extra yarn over, pull through 1 loop at the beginning.

http://www.crochet-basics.com/extended-crochet-stitches.html

Archived