Tolkec Birds Crochet chart

Susan3

Question

i'm looking for the crochet charts for Tolkec Birds for the afghan shown in Bernat Book No. 132,  Style No. 319.  The charts were to large for the book and were sold separately.  I started this afghan years ago, found it recently, and want to finish it.

12 answers to this question

Welcome to the Ville!

I beleive it is the one shown on the cover? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/bernat-132-bernat-afghans-contemporary-and-traditional-styles/patterns

I think it will be pretty hard to locate the chart.  This kind of additional material that you had to order by mail seems to be very elusive now, though it was fairly common at the time.  I have several "vintage" needlework magazines, and often the most attractive patterns weren't in the magazine at all...disappointing to say the least!  

You might try contacting an antique bookseller to see if they can track it down.

By the way, if you are searching online, the correct spelling is Toltec, no K.  

I did find an already made version of it on the internet.  I plan to create a chart from it so that I can finish mine.  Then if this plan works, perhaps I can share the pattern with other people who are trying to find it.  We'll see if my plan works.

Good luck on re-engineering the pattern for yourself, to make a blanket for yourself or a gift.  

Unfortunately it would be against this forum's rules to share it here, and illegal to distribute anywhere without Bernat's (now Spinrite) permission.  The book's 1966 copyright would have been in effect and extended by the 1976 law to many decades beyond most of our lifetimes.

I need to educate myself further.  While I searched for the pattern on the internet, I found that other people also were looking for the pattern.  

So to clarify, one can buy the afghan if they find it for sale but can't buy the charts?

You can buy a chart, if you can find it.  You can sell a chart, if you have an original.  You can create a chart for your own use.

What's illegal is if a chart is copyrighted, you re-recreate it for your own use and then try to sell or freely share your re-created chart.  The design legally belongs to Spinrite.  Think of it like a written piece of music. 

Contacting Spinrite is a great idea!  Also, contact Yarninspirations.  They've taken over doing patterns for Spinrite.

I have to say Spinrite was very prompt in replying to an e-mail I sent re: a pattern issue I had recently; slightly different situation, there was a free pattern on their site, a place to click to download, but the click went to an error page.  They fixed the link and e-mailed me a copy of the pattern the next day.  This might be a lot tougher - I hope they have access to this 50 year old pattern & graph in their Bernat subsidiary archives and can help you! 

I emailed: inquire@yarnspirations.com

I did find an already made version of it on the internet.  I plan to create a chart from it so that I can finish mine.  Then if this plan works, perhaps I can share the pattern with other people who are trying to find it.  We'll see if my plan works.

It's totally fine for you to try to recreate the chart for your own personal use. However, if the pattern is still under copyright protection (even though it is out-of-print) there could be legal issues with sharing your version of the chart (artwork) with others.

I would suggest contacting the Bernat company to see if they can provide you with the chart or to get permission to publish yo chart if you are successful in re-creating it.

Archived