Can't find anywhere! Ruffled? doily/flower Motif

2manythreads

Question

I have spent hours upon hours searching high and low for this. I keep getting links to "Sunburst Doily" and other patterns that kind of look the same as mine, but are not it when inspected closely. I received this WIP in a bag of crochet novelties/nick nacks at the hospice thrift store. It is quite old and came with satin/silk thread balls(?)

I will gladly pay for a pattern, IF it is the same stitch pattern in the pink section. It looks like it could be a motif - *maybe*. It is of a floral puffy design with a cute picot green connected to it.

I am a noob at this so am not skilled in identifying stitches like this.

I am enclosing MY work that I want, and also an example of what people keep giving me which is NOT it

post-76089-0-93003000-1445749659_thumb.jpg

24 answers to this question

Hi 2manythreads: I am stumped on the peachy looking pattern you are in search of. I looked extensively for this pattern but keep bumping into the same Sunburst Doily  that has 11-12 rnds of sc and your example has 6 rnds of sc for the ruffles. I'll definitely keep searching and will post if I find anything. The pattern may be out there, but believe me, if magiccrochetfan and Granny Square can't find it,  it's a ghost pattern. LOL

I don't know if these are close or not. Check Ravelry :

Plumb blossom dishcloth (I think that is spelled wrong)

Dorothy's potholder

Magnolia blossom centerpiece

another I have in mind is in free patterns.com (?) for plate storage. I have one for thankingsving plate covers table top.

Thanks Dragonlady but they found it! its this

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/6-TA017-12.htm

I'd seen this very pattern and ebook many times before, but never recognized it because the colors were so different from the project I have in front of me. The one in the pattern book looks nothing as nice as mine, the lady who made mine used totally different colors and threads, it looks so pretty :) thanks I did check out the pattern ideas you posted- those are KIND of similar but not quite. Thank you though! My problem was solved, and I got the pattern that is it exactly - down to the motifs and everything. So glad. Thanks to everyone here ! there are some real experts around here its surprising how quickly the right one was found after ALL this time me searching.

I don't know if these are close or not. Check Ravelry :

Plumb blossom dishcloth (I think that is spelled wrong)

Dorothy's potholder

Magnolia blossom centerpiece

another I have in mind is in free patterns.com (?) for plate storage. I have one for thankingsving plate covers table top.

Wow, we weren't sure- glad this pattern will work for you!   Yay!

GrannySquare I know Ive probably been shown that pattern before somewhere? or not- but I have seen it several times before recently and its on FreeVintageCrochet site also- and asked myself "is that it?" but thought No, well it IS it, totally- see, that's why I needed an experienced crocheter to "see" it, everything in the pattern is exactly the same, the motif, the cute "lace" motif that connects(?) the flower center things, everything is exactly the same. I did not recognize it because just changing the colors make it look totally different. To be honest the pattern in the picture looks dated, and in a bad way. This one I have the colors are so neat, and it looks so elegant. Anyway- sorry for going on and on about it, but I am so elated that this is the pattern. Thanks you guys.

Well done, and welcome to the 'ville!   

With that book, and a little sleuthing at Ravelry, It appears that the pattern on the cover is"Rambler Rose".  It can be found at Antique Pattern Library, it looks like it's been republished many times over the decades and it's in another book titled Star Doily Book No. 121, Crochet suggestions for Fairs and Bazaars, Link is here for the catalog, scroll down to the book title ( I didn't want to link to huge pdf directly )

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/catalog.htm

edited to fix book title, is book 121 not 120 oops.

G-Square, Magic , (pardon my abbreviations- you don't mind being abbreviated, do you? ;)

That's IT. Not only is it "it", its the exact pattern. It is just in a different color. Not only is it "it", but I HAVE seen this pattern when I was looking for it, and gave it a cursory glance but did not inspect it carefully. The reason why it did not click with me was that the image is so blurry, I did not see the "ruffles".

THANK you thank you THank you!!!

this is exactly what I needed. Whew. You have no idea what this means to me. I have had this project/WIP(?) for over a year, when I got it in a bag of novelties in the thrift store and thought it was so lovely. Every stitch is perfect. I wish I had known or could know the person who made it.

Off topic- sort of, I had purchased some other doilies etc at that store and with it was wrapped some loose crochet thread around a used/posted envelope with a local address on it, and the senders full return address, I was thinking maybe I will send a post card to this person, see if they are still alive and if ok to contact them about this pattern and crochet in general. Not even sure if person even made that one project in question. I am curious about the person who made it and would love to just talk to them, and tell them I have their beautiful things, maybe they have "moved on" to the Great Yarn Bin in the Sky, where there are no knots or froggings, and so on.

Yes- this is the exact pattern and I also recognize the lace-y part that is in orange color on the pattern, this crocheter used a Glossina lime green, and Glossina satin pink for the ruffles (just gorgeous, thats why I didnt recognize it in the picture) the picture pattern in the Star book gives it a "carnival" feel to it? that might turn someone off. The colors in my found item turn it into something so wonderful.

Consider this mystery SOLVED!!

and many thanks guys- I'm very happy now, I never thought I would find this I thought I would never find it. I could cry! Thank you :)

Well done, and welcome to the 'ville!   

With that book, and a little sleuthing at Ravelry, It appears that the pattern on the cover is"Rambler Rose".  It can be found at Antique Pattern Library, it looks like it's been republished many times over the decades and it's in another book titled Star Doily Book No. 121, Crochet suggestions for Fairs and Bazaars, Link is here for the catalog, scroll down to the book title ( I didn't want to link to huge pdf directly )

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/catalog.htm

edited to fix book title, is book 121 not 120 oops.

if magiccrochetfan and Granny Square can't find it,  it's a ghost pattern. LOL

Reni, thanks for the compliment!  :-)   but i have to confess i didn't actually look for the pattern.  I don't recognize it but it certainly may be in some older booklet.  I feel like a lot of people make things up based on their knowledge of stitches and construction in general, and that this one may be one of those unique creations.  I often feel compelled to mention that possibility, as I did in this case.  And because of that I didn't try to search for a pattern reference for it.  

Hi 2manythreads: I am stumped on the peachy looking pattern you are in search of. I looked extensively for this pattern but keep bumping into the same Sunburst Doily  that has 11-12 rnds of sc and your example has 6 rnds of sc for the ruffles. I'll definitely keep searching and will post if I find anything. The pattern may be out there, but believe me, if magiccrochetfan and Granny Square can't find it,  it's a ghost pattern. LOL

SO nice of you- you didn't have to look- just because I gave you a glowing compliment on your amazing skills (for those of you wondering, some lurker came upon this forum- with a quickie "what pattern is this" a baby set, number one- it was knitted and not a crocheted item, number two- it was a pattern from 1973, and ReniC instantly came up with the answer, AND a link to the page in a crochet magazine it was in! Can you believe that? It's like ReniC is a living Univac (aging myself)

if this was Reddit.com, I would give you "gold" (if I had any gold har dee har har)

So nice of you- yes its an oddity alright- it looks so nice though doesn't it? so even, no holes, its almost as if its knitted- hmm could it be? or cr-ooked or something? crohooked.. *shrugs* - I am still new at this so it is not easy for me to ID stitches unless they are apparent.

annyway- a big THANK YOUUUuUUUU! To reniC for doing a search on it though I appreciate it a lot :manyheart

WOW thanks you guys!! Thanks Magiccrochetfan for the advice on the holes- I did misunderstand you at first- I get it now- and Thank you GrannySq for the advice also especially on how you increase on one, decrease on the valley by same # of stitches. I am so keen on trying to do this stitch- Some Day! I am not that good at it yet. I wonder who the woman was who made these... and if still living (was purchased from Phoenix AZ "white dove thrift shop" a hospice charity. I did find an envelope addressed to a woman with a full name and address, (found nothing on internet on her, but many elder people don't do internet very much) lol I wonder if I should write her?? She may or may not be the person who made it, but I am tentatively considering writing a postcard with a request for a reply.

Right now, I am dealing with a "noob" problem and I don't know why it happens- but I'll work on a project for days, I go to test it by a lil stretching and hand-blocking and a part starts to UNravel! How the ...??? $*(%&*^*$*!!  how does that happen.. (don't answer, wrong forum lol) it will be a row or round several rows back, as if one stitch were never secured! and the whole thing comes undone. Weird.

like I said I am a new person at it and learning every day. I wish I had picked this up a long time ago. And learned these unpopular patterns. I really really love this pattern, you should see it- I should post a photo of the pieces I have. Truly lovely, pretty pink satin "flowers" with a green satin/silk lace picot like edging. I LOVE her color combination. Really really nice.

Magiccrochetfan made a note that it is probably worked along a front or back loop only, thereby eliminating any ridges.

What I meant was that in the Maggie's pattern photos, I see ridges along the rows, which may be done by stitching into the back loop only .  Your photo does not show such ridges.  "Back/front loop only" creates ridges, it doesn't eliminate them.  

I wasn't sure which holes you meant.  The holes in the spine - I looked at the Marguerite pattern, the spine is made by making 3 sc into 1 stitch.  I think the hole is an artifact of when you put 3 stitches into 1, you stretch out the bottom stitch a little, making a little hole.  BTW it also says, starting at round 5 which starts the petal part, to stitch into the front loop only.  If you look at the Maggie's pattern book, especially the example at the bottom right (top petal), it has the same hole in the spine.  The other spines are sort of covered up and you can't see them.

I hadn't looked closely at a blow-up of your photo until now, but...it looks like your ripple portion is made by decreasing only 2 at the valley and increasing only 2 at the peak, so a softer ripple and might not stretch out the stitch as much? 

The Maggie's one reminded me of the middle of this (free!) pattern...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marguerite-15

SORT of- but it has those holes, see? along the ridge. I find ones with those holes along the "spine" of the zig and zag but the one I want has no holes in it.

Magiccrochetfan made a note that it is probably worked along a front or back loop only, thereby eliminating any ridges.

I do like the ruffle-y patterns though.

it's the same kind of stitching in that it appears to be single crochet stitches like yours.  but notice the ridges?  yours does not have ridges.  those are probably made by working in the back loop only or front loop only.  also this one does not have a large center as yours does.  to get from this pattern to your piece, yo'd have to do some modifying.  

if you just want an idea of how to get started with the rippled part, look for any ripple/chevron pattern done in sc.  

afraid if I edit my original post I'll lose the images- so replying to my own post here (sorry admins lol)

I Just today received this in my inbox- an ad from Maggies Crochet for patterns- this one is 8.99 and I will gladly buy it if it is indeed the same kind of stitching?

sck1007-crochet-potholder-set-optw_large

errr.. having troubles uploading image sorry- here is link - sighs....http://www.maggiescrochet.com/products/scrap-potholders-and-mats-pattern-set

Thx Magic & Gran- I will hold on to this work and maybe in a couple years or less as I become more knowledgeable I will be able to figure out the stitching :) I can kind of recognize it a little bit but not really. People have been helpful on other websites, but not the exact type of design, but one similar. The other pattern? the one I did *not* want? Those are hard to find too! I had to search and search even to find the other one I wasn't really looking for. These "ruffle" type of patterns are not popular I guess. I find them very interesting.

I did a search and couldn't find it either; you might have to count stitches and reverse engineer it.

I did the same thing with a motif tablecloth WIP of my grandmother's...when she passed away (I was in college) my dad & his siblings cleaned out her house and I ended up with it since I was the only descendant who crocheted.  No pattern...I ended up reverse engineering the motif, made a couple of them to round out what she'd already done and turned it into a big doily.

The most similar thing i can think of is a ripple/chevron done in sc, attached to the center section so it folds on itself. I don't know of a specific pattern for this. And there may not be a pattern, the maker may have created her own design.

oop I think my files were too large- (this is so tedious) OK- the one I wish is the one with the pins spreading the pattern apart - see? The one that people keep giving me, that is NOT it, is the large "carnival" looking one, that is what is known as a "cover" pattern, as in a cover for a hot plate. The stitch pattern is quite different. The one I am searching for is almost a rick-rack pattern, if it is not rick-rack! it could be- I am not educated in crochet enough to know all the different patterns of things.

See how it ruffles? it is a "zig-zag" design. When pulled apart as I did in the photo, there are no holes in it that are in the other carnival-ish doily.

The one I am looking for is the one with the pins spreading it apart! Not the big finished one with the variegated pink and white! I keep getting links to that pattern- I have that one Thank You.

I have not seen the pattern I'm looking for ANY where- not on Pinterest, not on eBay, no place.

post-76089-0-67656300-1445749783_thumb.jpg

post-76089-0-29381800-1445749840_thumb.jpg

Archived