DesertCrocheter

2015 Stocking Stuffer Swap

I had to take a couple of things out of the stocking so I could bend the stocking to get it to fit.  They are just in the box not in the stocking.  It seems boxes are never quite the right size and shape.  I am working on a box to send to my son in Hawaii (flat rate is the best option for there)  and I have repacked that box at least a dozen different ways.  Still haven't gotten everything in it.  I'm at the point of either less presents or 2 boxes.  One of the joys of Christmas.

• Like 1

I still have those last couple of things to work on this weekend... Nothing is going to fit in the stocking at this point. LOL 

I have been super busy at my new job... and I :heart it! Of course I am still in training and it's only day 3, but I swear it is the best environment. You wouldn't think so being a detention center, but the staff is amazing and thus far the inmates are courteous & respectful. Seems no one wants to bite the hand that passes out the meds. LOL 

Doc appointment coming up Monday for my last ultrasound before scheduling surgery. CCMA exam in just over 2 weeks. Where is this month going? It's already passing by so quickly! 

• Like 2

This is definitely going to be a box stuffer swap with a stocking inside! Lol I'll make it work even if I have to sit on the box! And I have no idea where my festive duct tape is... so it'll be teal instead!

• Like 2

My box was delivered to the post office yesterday! Although I missed the deadline and it won't technically go out till tomorrow. And yes, I used duct tape! Lol! My favorite "saying" is that you only ever really need 2 tools - WD40 and duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD40. =)

• Like 2

My box was delivered to the post office yesterday! Although I missed the deadline and it won't technically go out till tomorrow. And yes, I used duct tape! Lol! My favorite "saying" is that you only ever really need 2 tools - WD40 and duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD40. =)

:rofl  :rofl Thanks for the laugh.  :rofl  :rofl

Edited by Tampa Doll
  • Like 1

Yay! I got my package a little while ago from Jessicali. I didn't realize that there is Sunday delivery...

Thank you so much, Jessicali, for everything. I will get photos up this evening and list all the amazing items she sent me.:)

Jessicali- once again, thank you for the lovely stocking and stocking stuffers.   :hug

She sent me -

a bunch of fabric quarters that I can't wait to use;

white cotton yarn and variegated Christmas yarn;
a cute holiday mug with a crocheted cozy filled with yummy candies;
a crocheted topper dishtowel with a matching dishcloth;
a crocheted hook;
an adorable crocheted mug of hot cocoa and a cute crocheted tree;
a beautiful granny square stocking.

I really enjoyed having you as my partner. :)

post-3193-0-32980700-1449447046_thumb.jpg

post-3193-0-54635500-1449447065_thumb.jpg

post-3193-0-62110300-1449447075_thumb.jpg

post-3193-0-18182700-1449447086_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I got my package in the mail today, it's off priority and should be there Thursday. So much fun just hope my partner likes it all. :) 

Packaging Maggi's box as we speak. I, *ahem*, might have waited until the last possible moment to make that one last item... But it is complete and will go out tomorrow on my lunch break :) This has already been such a great swap! 

• Like 1

Jessicali- once again, thank you for the lovely stocking and stocking stuffers.   :hug

She sent me -

a crocheted hook;

Very cool package.  Love the mug of hot cocoa and crocheted tree.  You got a great package.

She sent me -

a crocheted hook;

Wonderful package, everything is so cute!  :yes

Well, Nutcracker is over and both of my boxes are packed! They'll go out today,  :woo

• Like 1

Jessi and Teresa, great stockings! The elf is adorable, and chocolate, well, who can resist? Not me!

Just to catch everyone up: things were getting really really slow at work, so in October I started applying for a holiday temp job to get me over what I thought would just be some unpaid leave time (didn't think I'd get laid off). Anyway, I did get a holiday temp job at Target, so have been working for the past three days there after a half-day of training. It's been about 18 years since I worked in a store, and while it's just as I remembered it (with the added bonus of the scanners, and not having to enter all the UPC codes by hand), I am 18 years older. My feet and back are killing me! I've also been applying for jobs, but got a rejection letter in 15 hours after one online submittal, which is a record for me. According to my sister, who lost her job in June and is still looking, three-quarters of the places she's applied didn't even send a rejection letter, even a form one, by email.  Pretty lame, that, in my opinion.

So cheer me up with funny holiday stories. I have to get my outside lights up this week, if I can shimmy past the 18 boxes of stuff from my office that is now piled in front of the shelf in the shed where the Christmas decorations are.

So the post office has totally thrown me for a loop! Even though I missed the last pick up time on Saturday, somehow my package went out anyway! I didn't think it would go out until yesterday and as it turns out, it was delivered yesterday! So Patty check that front door! And now I can open my box and not feel bad because the one I've sent has been delivered. =)

I hate that you never really know you didn't get a job. You just assume because you never heard back. It's frustrating really. I'm actually surprised you even got a rejection letter, especially since you had applied online. I hope you find something good and more permanent soon!

So sorry about the rejection letter.  Keep plugging, before you know it, you may get that job.  I remember when I moved down here, the Jobs section of unemployment laughed when I said I wanted a job.  I was told no one would hire me because of my last salary.

Lets see funny story.  One year my Dad tacked the silver garland on the ceiling, instead of the tree.  Never knew why.

Another year he brought home a machine that had a hollow pole that went up the center of the tree.  There was a bowl type thing at the bottom of the tree that was filled with tiny Styrofoam pellets.  When it was turned on the Styrofoam would go up the pole and come out the top.  It was like having a snow fall in the house.  Now the funny part is when my oldest sister and I took it down, she got sarcastic with me, so I turned it on and pointed it at her.  We thought and still think it is funny.  Mom did not and we were cleaning up those pellets for months.

How was that?  I have another if you need it.

Yes, the package is by the door.  We have a spot where the postman puts packages so they can't be seen from the street and there it was just sitting there waiting for me.  I'm off to open it.  Be back later with a report on the contents.  Thanks.  Patty

• Like 3

Hey Patty, sorry to hear about the job, I have been at mine for almost 38 yrs now and I could not even imagine having to have to look for another.  But, here is my funny story, back when I was a (bit of a sarcastic) teenager, my parents would threaten us girls that Santa would bring us a board with a nail in it or coal or something not very nice if we didn't behave, and I (in my sarcastic teenage voice)  said "oh sure, you always say that and never do" (stupid, stupid, stupid girl) Well under the tree that year was this long thin box for me, I thought maybe it was an umbrella, I didn't ask for one, but what else could it be, hmmmm. of course that was the first present that had to be opened in front all the family and, know what it was ?!? YEP, a board with a nail in it painted gold, that was pretty embarrassing, and it wasn't till everyone else had opened their packages did I get my real presents,  I NEVER, EVER said anything smart mouthed again. (this story is still brought up at family functions, told to the younger ones when they act up ;) )  :santa

Unfortunately, there is no job security today and anyone is dispensable. It really is a shame, but somehow we need to keep moving forward, and moving on...somehow.....

I am completely blown away by my box from Patty! I love everything so much! I'll take pictures today while I have good light and post them this evening when I can get on my laptop. Sister is coming over with Peanut in a little bit and I know better than to have my laptop out for that! Lol

Hey Patty.. I am so sorry for your situation... I know how you feel somewhat.. DH was making us a pretty comfortable living working offshore and got laid off in April.. I have not worked since 2010 when I worked as a certified pharmacy technician. I quit at the time because my DD was 10 and too young to stay home and too old for the afterschool daycare, and DH wanted me home to help run farm with his 3 weeks home, 3 weeks gone. Since then we have started our own business, which is SLOWLY getting started. All this time, I have kept my pharmacy tech national license up. I feel guilty and think I should go back to work, but DH doesn't want me to because between the farm and being his secretary (LOL)  and us both being concerned that I wouldn't be able to hold the job with the my body not being what it used to be just 5 years ago.

We live in very small town and bigger towns with chain pharmacies are pretty far, plus the fact of our age... But the Good Lord provides, and so far... times are rough everywhere... But praying the door opens for just the right job for YOU!!

Now a Christmas story...  When I was 10, my brother and I found our Christmas in our parents closet.. Brand new banana seat Huffy bicycles for Christmas!! This was 1974 and crime being minor in our country community, we could ride a circle of 10 miles every day in a round trip from our house and not be worried about. Anyway, I let it slip to papa Santa a couple days before Christmas. He looked disappointed and gave me a little talk about life can get difficult, but magical things and happiness can live in our hearts anyway if WE let them... Then on Christmas Eve after we had gone to bed, about an hour later, Papa Santa came and whispered to me that since I was such a big girl, he needed some help and would I like to help him.. I excitedly got up and felt a joy in my heart of getting a big walking doll out for my 3 yr old sister amongst other things.. I was kind of sad that I KNEW, but that is the year I learned the joy of the GIVING end of Christmas....

• Like 1

My box from Nikki ( yarn_monkey ) was amazing.  It has one of the cutest things ever in it.  My little dog had to go in for surgery today but I hope to get more info about the contents of the stocking and box on here later.  Nikki is very talented with a crochet hook!

• Like 1