Need help with yarn/hook for a pattern

CrochetNoob359

Question

Hi all,

I am new to the site and somewhat new to crocheting as well and have come here for some help after rudely being kicked out of a facebook group for asking for help  :cry .

I am making an awareness ribbon shawl for my mom for Christmas. I've already picked out the yarn which is a 4 (Medium) and is said to be the same as the Red Heart Super saver that was used in the instructions I am using. I tried my first 5 or 6 rows but found that the awareness ribbons weren't very clear. They looked more like x's. So I went back and read the needed sized hook and found that I got a 3.50mm instead of a 3.75mm hook. I thought I'd just go out and by the next size up but then found out that my yarn calls for a 5mm hook. Do I need to change yarns or hook? And if the hook, what size?

Any help is greatly appreciated since my last group experience led me to tears.  :) I can add the link to the pattern if it will help but don't want to break any rules so if someone needs to see it let me know!

9 answers to this question

Don't change your yarn ....

Does the pattern include a swatch for gauge?  Normally you don't have to test your gauge for a scarf, because as long as the scarf is long enough to wear, the size isn't that important.  However, if it's got a pattern that you want to match the size, do the swatch.  Make a few rows and stitches more than the suggested gauge.  Measure in the middle of your swatch.  If your swatch has too few stitches for the suggested size, then decrease your hook size.  If your swatch has too many stitches, then increase your hook size.

If the pattern doesn't include a suggestion for gauge, then make a swatch anyway.  Change your hook size until your swatch matches what you want it to look like.

By the way the hook size on the yarn's wrapper is just a suggestion.  It doesn't mean that you have to use that size.  Here's a handy chart ...

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

It gives you the suggested hook sizes for each yarn weight.  That means that those hook sizes will be the easiest ones to use with the yarn's weight and are the ones used most often.  However, they are just a guideline.  It doesn't mean that you can't use hooks that are smaller or bigger. 

The bottom line is to test different size hooks with the yarn you have and the pattern until you're satisfied with the results.  Making swatches will not only allow you to figure out what size hook you want to use, it will help you practice the pattern without too much work.  When you have it figured out, the actual scarf will be the size you want and will be easier to make.

Good advice above - I'm glad you found Crochetville, I promise here there's no such thing as a silly question and we like to help!

I am guessing you are in the US - it's a very good idea to have multiple sized of hooks on hand, and a lot of big box stores (Walmart, Michaels, Joanns) carry inexpensive packages of hooks with multiple sizes.  Everyone's personal tension is different, and may be different than the designers'.

I don't think a .25mm difference in hook size will make a difference in the appearance of the ribbon.  How are the ribbons made - is it a graphed pattern?  If so you could you might be able to tweak the graph by adding more ribbon-colored stitches at the top of the ribbon, so they look less like just Xs.  Another thought ( and a new technique to learn, but it's easy! ) is outlining the ribbons with surface slip stitch - sort of embroidering with crochet, to make the ribbons stand out better.

Here and Another link, some overlap, for ribbon patterns (not all shawls, but to give you more ideas). There are a couple of patterns by Naztazia , (including a stole/shawl) which are pretty clever. 

Hi guys! Thanks so much for your help! I didn't post the link because well the first crochet group I signed up for on Facebook kicked me out because I posted for help  :reyes. The one I am using is the 3rd picture, the shawl, and have just been struggling to keep the ribbons looking like actual ribbons. My last attempt had them looking like x's and I had to scrap a fair amount of yarn  :reyes. I thought maybe it was my yarn but then was given the idea that maybe my hook was too small? I went out and bought the actual size that the pattern called for and then bought the size the yarn called for but just not sure where I am going wrong  :( 

Thanks for any and all help! :ty 

Below is the link to the website I am using.

http://naztazia.com/ 

One thing you could do to make the tops of the ribbons stand out is in row 3, do your 3 sc in the back loops of the chain, instead of in the entire top of the chain. 

You could also do your ribbons in pink and the sections in between in a white, ecru or dark pink.  This would mean cutting the yarn for every color change.  You wouldn't be able to carry it up with this pattern.

ETA:  I just thought of another idea.  When I was starting out, my chain stitches were a lot tighter than any other stitch.  Are your chain stitches tight?  If yes, you could try pinching the bottoms of them as you're making them to get them a bit looser.  You could also try going up 1 or 2 hook sizes just for the long chains for the ribbons.  Loosening the chains on the ribbons may make the tops of them stand out more.

Do you have a way of taking a photo of what you have, and posting here?  Go to 'more reply options', then at the bottom left you will see a spot where you can upload a picture file from your computer.  Maybe this will help us focus on the specific issue that you are having with the top of the ribbon not standing out.  I'm wondering if it would help if you 'crossed' the ribbon 1 stitch lower, just wildly guessing--less x, more ribbon loop.

Funny you mentioned tight chains Redrosesdz, I sometimes have issues with my chains being a bit loose and I was wondering if the OP's were loose/too floppy to hold the ribbon shape. :hook

You'd have to try really, really hard to get us to kick you out. Just asking for help sure isn't going to do it. Also, there is nothing dumb you can do that I have not already done, so don't worry about that, either! :lol I guarantee I don't bite--couldn't if I wanted to because I'm not wearing my fake upper teeth.

Gauge is really, really individual. If you're using worsted weight yarn, a 5mm hook is a reasonable place to start, but it's not always the best for a certain pattern. I tend to crochet very loosely. I've seen people who crochet so tightly that they never need to starch Christmas ornaments, etc. because the fabric is so tight--and we could be using the same hook! You're also new to crochet, so your technique may not have settled yet to the point that you'd know how to adjust. If you still have some of the yarn you discarded, use it to mess with and see how you need to work to get the look you want.

Oh, and :welcome !

Gaah, Crochetville ate my post.  I'll try again.

I just looked at the pattern itself, I assumed it attached the ribbon at the cross point but it doesn't, it's just a chain 15 that's twisted.

It might look less like an X if you controlled where the twist happened (and, all ribbons would be exactly the same).

Example, chain 12, twist, slst into the 4th chain from the beginning, chain 3.  So each leg is 3, the loop part is 9 slightly reduced by the slst.

Or, chain 11, twist, slst into the 5th chain from the beginning, chain 4.  This makes the legs longer, the loop smaller.  Both examples are still 15 chains, with a connecting slst.

I'm actually not using pink yarn! I'm making a light purple colored one for my mom since she has Lupus and purple is Lupus' Awareness Ribbon color. That's part of the reason that I switched yarns in the first place, It couldn't find a soft, light purple yarn in the Red Heart Super Saver that I really liked. @Redrosesdz I will for sure try doing the 3 sc in the back of the loops this time! 

When I first started trying crocheting like 8 years ago I always ran into the problem of my stitches being too tight. Now it has been a while since I have crocheted but I have made sure that none of my stitches are too tight! I've actually had the problem of having to go back and take out stitches for being too loose! Though for the ribbons I went a little more tight than my original stitches so they wouldn't be floppy.

:D Thanks Becky Morgan! Lol Like I said in my OP, crocheting for me is kind of a new and an old hobby. My great grandmother taught me how to crochet with sc's but I never really made anything more than a plain shawl or a scarf so the whole double crochet thing threw me for a loop lol. I still have plenty of the original yarn left (I actually went out to buy more last night and was lucky enough to find 1 from the same dye lot last night) but have been a little scared to start again for fear of well more failure. I actually started another crochet project (a NFL team color inspired scarf) while trying to solve this problem and my stitches seem PERFECT with the new 5mm hook so I may start my 2nd try of the shawl with that rather than the 3.75mm hook. Maybe I'll have more luck!

Thanks Granny Square. That was my original thought too when I saw that the ribbons didn't have a stitch or something to hold them together. I will for sure try both of your ideas! Hopefully with all this great help I can move forward! I would take a picture of what I have except well... I threw my 1st run out... I was frustrated and couldn't get any more of the yarn off the piece so I threw it away! I will take pictures as I go though and can post once I get started on it!

Crochet hasn't really been a full time hobby for me. Polymer clay has been. So it was kind of a big switch from one to the other. Though after this and seeing a few patterns for amigurumi (still not 100% how to pronounce that) I may stick with crocheting as an in between hobby!

Again Thank you all soo much! This has been very helpful!

:ty  :manyheart

Archived